Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are realistic expectations for flash reduction on suppressed SBRs?

Feedback Score

What are realistic expectations for flash reduction on suppressed SBRs?

I decided to get into suppressors last year after shooting a friends DD MK18 with a Surefire RC2.
    I went with a Knights 7.62 QDC CRS because I had plans to get an SR-25, and KAC had a flash hider that would let me mount it on an AR15. I’ve shot 1330 rounds through the suppressor. 110 rounds of 308 (on a SR25), and 1020 rounds of 556/223 through it.

SBR config
    11.5” 556 Colt “FBI” profile barrel w Colt upper receiver, and Colt BCG
    Knight’s 7.62 QDC CRS mounted on rifle using the ˝” QDC flash suppressor kit PN111583
    The lower receiver is DD factory SBR used it with normal carbine receiver extension and H1, H2, H3, custom 8.5oz buffers. I eventually upgraded this to an A5 extension with Springco green spring/SR25 recoil spring, and a A5H2 buffer.

I’ve also mounted the barrel on a DD 11.5” V7S, and an upper built around a 12.5” Hodge Defense barrel with similar results.

I’m not happy with the flash suppression with this suppressor on a 556 SBR. I've also noticed the locking collar getting loose during use. I don’t have night vision, or anything like it, but I prefer less flash than more. The QDC (closed tine) flash hider by itself does a better job at flash reduction. Adding the suppressor makes it into a flash enhancer.
    The following pictures are with Federal American Eagle XM193. Photo’s aren’t great because I used print screen on a video I took. Nearly every round is a fireball. PMC bronze flashes less often, but still outputs a fireball. Norma Tac 223 is just about as flashy as Federal XM193.

I feel I can hear a tone difference between when it flashes, and the times I do not see visible flash.

Is this normal for suppressed SBRs? I feel like I’m missing something and doing things wrong somehow. It's nothing like what I see of people shooting suppressed setups on youtube.

PS.
    I’m not sure if anything can be learned from looking at a blast baffle, but here is the best photo I was able to take. This is 60 rounds fired (making the total round count 1330) after a cleaning of Boretech C4 carbon remover. Reduced the weight of the suppressor from 16 ounces to 15.8 ounces. The suppressor was 15.7 ounces out of the box.
    Last edited by R.O.U.S.; 03-05-20 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Normal.

10.3” Centurion Barrel with AE 223

Wait til you see what it looks like under NODs! Hope you’ve got autogated shit

My buddy shooting my can (M4-2k) on a 12.5” Noveske. Not as bad but still bright.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 03-05-20 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I have a Dead Air Sandman K and it shoots substantial fireballs out of both my 11.5" shorties and my 16" recce.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Whoever said that a sound suppressor is the best flash suppressor lied. He probably didnÂ’t even have a can. They are better than bare muzzle, and some are better than others, but do not usually beat a good flash suppressor and a few more inches of barrel.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The only thing you can do is try a MAMs instead of the flash hider. May bring the flash down some while suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I have a Dead Air Sandman K and it shoots substantial fireballs out of both my 11.5" shorties and my 16" recce.
    The Sandman 5.56 flash hider end cap made a substantial reduction to flash from my 11.5". Still there occasionally but not as distracting.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Handloading a low flash powder can help. Shooting 5.56mm ammo with a flashy ball powder will often be pretty flashy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Normal.

10.3” Centurion Barrel with AE 223

Wait til you see what it looks like under NODs! Hope you’ve got autogated shit

My buddy shooting my can (M4-2k) on a 12.5” Noveske. Not as bad but still bright.
    I didn't expect such quick replies. Thanks for telling me that it is normal. I have no NODs yet, but I hope to get them in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I have a Knights 556 mini which probably performs like the Sandman K. I get flash with, but I expected a mini suppressor to flash. I just thought a full size 6" suppressor would magically make it less.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Whoever said that a sound suppressor is the best flash suppressor lied. He probably didnÂ’t even have a can. They are better than bare muzzle, and some are better than others, but do not usually beat a good flash suppressor and a few more inches of barrel.
    I was always under the impression that a suppressor was better than any flash suppressor. This is good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    The only thing you can do is try a MAMs instead of the flash hider. May bring the flash down some while suppressed.

The Sandman 5.56 flash hider end cap made a substantial reduction to flash from my 11.5". Still there occasionally but not as distracting.
    Not really feasible unfortunately. Knights does not make a 1/2" x 28 MAMs that accept their 762 suppressors.

For example. My 1/2"x28 556 MAMs on the left with the 556 QDC-CQB. On the right is the 1/2"x28 flash adapter that lets you mount 762 suppressors to it. It's the only one that KAC makes. I would need an AR barrel with at least 5/8" threads to mount the appropriate MAMs break to get the 762 suppressor to mount..

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Handloading a low flash powder can help. Shooting 5.56mm ammo with a flashy ball powder will often be pretty flashy.
    I only shoot factory ammo at the moment. I am interested in hand loading, but I'm limited on space, and I don't have a bench to mount a press.

Thanks for the replies. All is well. I need to go buy more ammo.
    Last edited by R.O.U.S.; 03-05-20 at 16:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a Dead Air Sandman K on an 11.5" AR. The standard 7.62 end cap has substantial flash, while the 5.56 flash hider cap is significantly less flashy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant90 View Post
    I have a Dead Air Sandman K on an 11.5" AR. The standard 7.62 end cap has substantial flash, while the 5.56 flash hider cap is significantly less flashy.

Their flash hider end cap makes a huge difference as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I have seen that claim in numerous firearms publications going back to at least the mid 1990's plus repeats online.

I have seen it claimed at least one time to justify police use that a can would allow firing in the presence of flammable vapors without concerns of igniting it and going kablooey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast