Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEO Training and tactics.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

LEO Training and tactics.

I have been in Law Enforcement for six and a half years. I'm aspiring to become the next firearms instructor for my department. I want to know what resources you guys recommend for me to expand my knowledge so I can further teach my guys. I intend to take as many classes as I can but due to my location they aren't very accessible. I'm looking for sources that I can study myself either books, videos, or whatever else. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I would recommend you reach out to SWATCop556, who controls admission to our law enforcement only subforum.

They can likely give you some very good advice regarding TTP's. Also, some of those would not be a good thing to publish on an open forum.

Good luck with your quest to become an instructor at your agency, and stay safe.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Thank you for the info I will get a hold of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    As an LEO as well I think the biggest thing you could do would be to seek a broad variety of training opportunities. My department is a large well funded department and as a result we have some good equipment, but I feel that our training is lacking in a few key areas. I think this is because of cultural inbreeding. I.e the range instructors go to the same schools they always have and never seek out different training or experiences.

I also think that competition shooting is a great way to see what works and what doesn't in a time compressed environment. You'll often hear that competitions get you killed, but I don't think that's true. Competitions train key aspects of tactical shooting, they aren't a UOF them self. To me thats like saying don't strength train because you won't find any heavy bars on the street.
    Crossfit Level 1 Coach, Former Marine Officer, Current Police Officer

Owner of Tier Three Tactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would add that you could go to the range with neighboring department instructors and swat operators. You might be surprised how different your neighboring jurisdictions train. You might pick up a thing or two that you like for yourself and vice versa.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The problem is I work for a small Sheriff's office which has about 12 patrol deputies. We have recently come out of the dark ages and started moving into the 21 century although it is happening it's slow! The nearest agency that has any major training beyond what I already know is about 50 miles away. I will try to see what I can set up as far as training but I want to see what I can teach myself. Mainly looking for trusted and reliable sources on the internet that I can study and adapt to training for my guys. Our current firearms instructor thinks it's ok to just qualify once a year and practice two days before. That's about all the training we get through the department. I'm looking to change that when I can get to be the instructor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    PM sent

Feedback Score
    You might consider memberships in organizations such as the National Tactical Officers Association, the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors, the National Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors, and any state tactical or FI associations. NTOA, IALEFI, and NLEFIA all have journals and offer comparatively inexpensive training around the country.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Arik Levy's podcast Firearms Nation is geared to training and he was a LEO trainer in Broward County for 6 years.
    The podcasts are all active trainers mil and LEO.

Feedback Score
    Look at FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) - they provide several instructor-level classes there, and if you get registered at the right time they are free for locals, to include ammo, food, lodging, and training uniforms. All you have to do is get there. They run a 10-day Firearms Instructor Training Program for one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast