Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many lumens for home defense?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    That, I believe, is the secret of the universe. Everybody's eyes are different. Lumen recommendations are based on some general principles the experts know to be true of how human anatomy functions....but within the acceptable ranges listed there's some wiggle room based on what the world looks like through your eyes.
    Plus you have to take the room into account. Black walls versus white walls, or even big mirrors will make a difference on how the light behaves.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    I keep an X200B, which doesn't put out as many lumens as the X300 and is, in my view at least, a better compromise for a handgun light.

Since it's no longer made, it's a moot point. The X200/300 or TLR-1 are going to be superior to something like an M3 simply because they work...even if they may put out more light than is optimal.

Lights are compromises like any other gear choice. I prefer all my lights to be in the 60 to 80 lumen range, which I find to be plenty manageable for most purposes as light in that range doesn't zap my night vision too badly.

If your primary threat profile is longer distances or mainly outdoors, 80 lumens will probably be the absolute minimum you want to use rather than the maximum.
    I also have an x200b mounted to my Glock.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks guys. I will pick up a G2 from Grant. I may even get a upgraded head for my old Executive 1.

Feedback Score
    SF.X300 here too. If more Luminousity is needed, then I have the SF.M6 & SF.M3 nearby.

The Malkoff Devices drop-in LEDs I have in my SF.M2 and SF.6Z are the M60 and M60F respectively. The latter gives a nice w-i-d-e area illumination that's not soo "intensely" focused in one given spot. Then again, that's how my severely myopic eyes perceives it!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pk14 View Post
    MilitaryMoron suggested a beam diffuser to "tone down" a high lumen drop in. I was trying to figure out a solution to an indoor / outdoor single weaponlight set-up for a HD carbine and his suggestion looks reasonable.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...-Beam-Diffuser

777 - have you experimented with one of these for a Malkoff drop-in (the M60)?

Thanks,
    Pk
    I've never messed with one of the Malkoff drop-in LED units.

Feedback Score
    I actually prefer my G2 in VLTOR offset than my X300 in Larue mount.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm thinking about attaching my Surefire L4 (100 Lumens) to my LMT since it's mainly going to be for HD

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So do you think a Scout with 120LU is too much for inside a house?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    So do you think a Scout with 120LU is too much for inside a house?
    That is about the upper limit IMO.

ToddG Guest
    FWIW, my "house" lights are a weapon-mounted Procyon (rated for 125) and a Typhoon (80) or Typhoon II (125).

My edc pocket light is a Novatac 120P (120).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast