Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Rockcastle Run N Gun 5&10k, March 17-18

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

2018 Rockcastle Run N Gun 5&10k, March 17-18

Just to get on your calendar - there's a lot going on in 2018!

The best place to go for information and discussion is the Facebook Event Page at https://www.facebook.com/events/1694...tive_tab=about. If you go there and click "Interested" or "Going" you'll get notifications every time (I think?) someone posts there, and see all of the various discussions and questions asked. I'll try to repost what I think is important here and in other forums for people who refuse to be a part of Facebook - but the only way to see it all is to be a member there.

To start, here are the basics:

Intro:

The 2018 Rockcastle Run N Gun 5&10k is a centerfire biathlon – competitors will complete a 5k or 10k run combined with a shooting competition. The event is a test of man and equipment alike. It is intended to give participants an idea of how being hot, cold, exhausted, and challenged by the environment affects their shooting, and to test the effectiveness of their gear under field conditions. This event is not intended for inexperienced shooters – all participants are expected to be familiar with the operation of their firearms, and to observe basic principles of firearm safety at all times. With the exception of emergencies, Range Officers (ROs) are not allowed to help participants in any way. Good attitudes are a must. If you are the type of person who gets upset when minor changes are made to a plan or when you don’t always get your way, this is not the event for you.

Basics:

Participants will receive both a score for their run based on how long it took them to complete the course, and a score for their shooting based on how long it took them to clear each course of fire. The run score and shooting score will be equally weighted in determining the participant’s final score. This is true run-what-you-brung field-style shooting, with only two equipment classes: “Combat Class” in which you must carry at least 25% of your bodyweight in gear (simulating a full load-out), or “Race Class” in which anything goes. For the most part, if you want to carry it for 5 or 10 clicks, be our guest. Shooters are expected to have all their firearms sighted in and all their gear ready to go on the morning of the shoot. There will be no zeroing at the event. Think of this as a test of how you and your equipment would perform in a Second Amendment situation if you had to go take care of business at your current state of readiness, whatever that is. Run order will be more or less random. We will try to be accommodating to participants who wish to share firearms or equipment (we can have one person run in the morning and the other in the afternoon), or to those who wish to run together.

Equipment:

The only equipment that is strictly required to participate is a safe center fire rifle, a safe center fire pistol, enough ammo to clear the course (at least twice the minimum required hit count is recommended), eye protection, ear protection, a flashlight, and some form of stopwatch. The rifle must shoot rifle caliber ammo (no 9mm PCC), and the pistol must shoot pistol caliber (no .223 “pistols” for the handgun targets). Everything else is up to the participant. Shooters may use any type of gear they want to carry their equipment with, the only requirement being that pistols must be carried in a secure holster that covers the trigger if they are to be carried loaded. Rifles may be carried any way you like, as long as they remain pointed in a safe direction. You may not use tracers or armor piercing bullets that have a hardened penetrator core, as we will be using lots of steel targets that we don’t want to see damaged. To be safe – if your bullet attracts a magnet or has a green tip, leave it at home.

Rules:

First and foremost, all participants will be expected to comply with basic firearms safety at all times. If you demonstrate inability or unwillingness to follow basic firearm safety, you will be asked to leave, with no refund and no apology. Muzzles must be pointed in a safe direction at all times, and fingers must be off the trigger unless the firearm is pointed at a target. Rifles shall only be loaded when a shooter is at a rifle stage, after the RO has given the “fire” command. Shooters may leave their handguns loaded at all times. However, loaded handguns must remain securely in a holster unless the shooter has been given the “fire” command on a shooting stage. Some stages will be active, involving moving and shooting. *Firearms may remain loaded during movement, but strict muzzle discipline must be maintained.

Procedures:

Every shooter will be given a score card that he will be required to carry through the course. The card is how we record your score. Do not lose it or we will not be able to give you a score for the event. When a shooter approaches a station, he will be required to show a RO an empty mag well and empty chamber on his rifle. If another shooter is currently on the stage when he arrives, the one who just arrived will be instructed by a RO to start his stopwatch to keep track of his wait time (this will be subtracted off the participant’s run time when his run score is calculated). It is purely the shooter’s responsibility to keep track of his wait time. The ROs have no responsibility whatsoever to help you do this. Even if a RO offers to help you keep track of your time, you have no one but yourself to blame if this is not done. When the shooter is ready to shoot the stage, he will hand the RO his score card, and the RO will record his wait time if any. The shooter will be given a quick summary of the course of fire. The RO will ask if the shooter understands the course of fire. If the answer is yes, the shooter will be given the “fire” command, at which time he may load his rifle and/or draw his pistol and begin shooting the stage. All stages will have a zone where the shooter must fire from -- either a particular hole in a barricade that you must shoot through, or a marked zone on the ground, in which every part of your body or equipment which touches the ground must remain inside of when you fire. Hits made from outside the designated area will not count toward completion of the course of fire. Every shooting stage will have a 3 minute time limit. This is to keep the runners moving and to prevent large backups of shooters waiting to shoot a stage. At the end of that 3 minute period, the shooter will be stopped and time penalties applied to their score for any target not fully neutralized as per the course of fire requirements. If for any reason the “cease fire” command is given, you will immediately cease fire, holster your handgun, and unload your rifle. You will do likewise when you complete a stage, or time out. The RO should tell you your time for the stage. The RO will record your time on your score card. You may want to carry a pen and notepad to keep track of your score in case you lose your card, or if there is a mix-up with the scoring. Every shooter must show a RO an empty mag well and chamber on his rifle before leaving each stage. A RO will give directions on where to go to continue down the trail. Shooters are NOT required to leave their rifle’s bolt open during the run… this is actually discouraged, as it will allow lots of that beautiful Kentucky red clay to accumulate inside the action. There will be ample opportunity for this to happen on the course.

The Run:

The total course length is 3.2 miles (5k) or 6.2 miles (10k). The path for participants to follow will be marked with brightly colored flags and/or tape. Shooters must stay close to the marked path. Do not cut corners. Failure to follow the marked trail may take you into the impact area of a hot range!!! If the trail takes you through some difficult terrain, this is on purpose! Parts of the trail will be down a county road. Keep to the left edge of the road and watch for traffic.

Your Fitness:

This event is in a remote area, and you need to be aware of over-exertion. We should have some folks with medical skills on hand, but your health is your responsibility. If you start having problems, slow down... drink some water... listen to your body! There is no shame in walking the course; know yourself and your limitations.

Accommodations:

Attendees are highly recommended to stay at the onsite lodge for the full experience. There will be people on site all day Friday, as the ROs will be running the course. Porta-potties will be on site at most shooting locations. Registration opens at 6:30 a.m. and closes at 7:30 a.m Saturday morning. The safety briefing begins at 7:30 a.m. Anyone who does not get signed in by 7:30 will not be allowed to participate, so be on time. The first runner will be sent out at 8:00 a.m., and another runner will be sent out in a uniform interval thereafter. The ROs will have run the course the day before. They will be scored along with all the other contestants. After the last runner has crossed the finish line, we will calculate the results. The winners will be announced, trophies will be given out, and a drawing will be conducted for all the prizes contributed by the sponsors.

How to Sign Up:

The registration fee for the Rockcastle Run N Gun is $70 for the 5k and $100 for the 10k. Registration will be limited in number so all runners can finish the course before dark. Registration and payment will be handled through Practiscore, and Rockcastle will have you sign waivers the morning of the match. Make sure you are familiar with all of our rules and procedures before signing up. All participants must register under their true names. Tickets are non-transferable. Pre-registration and pre-payment is mandatory, and no walk-ons will be allowed on match day as space and time is limited.

Cancellation Policy:

Full refunds will be given if you withdraw more than 30 days before the match. Half your fee will be refunded if you withdraw between 14-29 days before the match. NO REFUND will be given if you withdraw less than 14 days before the match.

Directions:

The start and finish line are both located at the Park Mammoth Resort Lodge at Rockcastle Shooting Center. The address is 585 Park Mammoth Rd, Park City, KY 42160. This is almost exactly halfway in between the Nashville International Airport (BNA) and the Louisville International Airport (SDF) – about an easy hour and a half drive from either.
    Last edited by Matt in TN; 11-19-17 at 20:52.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you went last year, please note some differences: we'll be offering a 5k with 5 shooting stages on Saturday and a 10k with 7 shooting stages on Sunday. Competitors can choose to shoot either, or both. There will be separate awards and prizes for each match on each night.

I'm afraid the match fees have had to go up a little to cover costs better, but hopefully it will be well worth it!

More to come soon - registration will open about 90 days prior to the match

And if somehow you've never heard of a "Run N Gun" or a "Centerfire Biathlon" and are wondering WTF this is - here's a short compilation video from last March's match:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm in. I would've paid twice as much for the last match.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    I'm in. I would've paid twice as much for the last match.
    Awesome!

Just so there is no misunderstanding or misrepresentation: this particular event is in no way affiliated with the 5th Special Forces Group or the Special Forces Association, Chapter 38 - other than I hope we get some Group guys to come out and play with us.

This is just a fun match with no affiliation (yet?) that will test your resolve, your skills, and your gear at a venue I call "Disneyland For Grown-Ups". Come on out and play!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am fully aware. The match was great regardless of the group dudes. I loved that facility.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    I am fully aware. The match was great regardless of the group dudes. I loved that facility.
    I'm tellin' you - it's like Disneyland for grown-ups! And we can't even get to the good parts with a tiny little 5k. The 10k will get us to some new areas of the property, but I'm going to have to get creative with the routes to get to the really good shooting locations.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'd really like to do the 10k, but would greatly prefer it to be on Saturday, with the easier 5k on Sunday.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In my head we'll have way more people sign up for the 5k, so it will go on Saturday and likely run longer to get everyone through. I'd love to be proven wrong and will be happy to reverse it next year - but for now I have to go with my gut and the results of last years' surveys and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Samson Manufacturing (http://www.samson-mfg.com/) has signed on as our first obstacle sponsor. Not only are they providing some cool things for the prize table, but they are providing most of the pistol targets we'll be using for the match too. They are an amazing supporter of the shooting sports!!

And they have chosen the mud pits/tubes/barbed wire for their obstacle. Somebody help me come up with a catchy name for this obstacle that includes "Samson Manufacturing".

The other wild card that comes with an obstacle sponsorship: the sponsor gets to add to/design/build that obstacle as they please. I always maintain final veto power as every obstacle has to be "possible" for every competitor and I have to have the time/money budget to actually build it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here's the 10k Course Map. We need to do a 50k to get to ALL of the cool shooting locations Rockcastle Shooting Center (https://www.rockcastleshootingcenter.com/) has to offer, but going to a 10k helps us get to some! (map corrected 11/20/17)

Last edited by Matt in TN; 11-20-17 at 09:10.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast