Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larue predatobr vs custom build

Feedback Score

Larue predatobr vs custom build

I'm getting out of the bolt action game and into the semi-auto game. I'm wanting a rifle that shoots sub-Moa on a consistent basis. I'm considering the Larue Predatobr or just custom building a rifle with top parts. Being new to semi auto rifles, which direction would you choose?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    5.56 or .308?

Feedback Score
    308 win

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

First of all, I will say that you can get to sub MOA nirvana going down either path.....it really depends on what you want and enjoy doing. Out of curiosity, what is the rifle for? Hunting, HD, target, comp? Also, is this a one-off rifle or will you buy/build more? I'll comment more on that at the end of my post.
    In my opinion, which may be the minority, there is no wrong answer here. I think much depends on what you enjoy doing. Many enjoy purchasing a complete ready to shoot rifle. Some may buy a certain upper with a different lower. I may be in the minority, but many AR's later, I STILL enjoy building my AR's. I enjoy it even more today, because I've learned a lot, and the worry of making a mistake isn't there. Both my precision 5.56 (SPR) and my .308 (DMR) are sub MOA. I haven't had the opportunity to stretch their legs, but they are both sub MOA out to just under 300, the .308 well under sub MOA (with factory match ammo). Some guys may say building an AR is not rocket science, it's easy, boring even. I think those guys miss the point. It's not about the actual assembly or putting together, I still enjoy that, but to me, it's the process . It's defining or identifying a purpose, it's the parts selection, the finding good deals and finally building. And yes, I get excited when I break in a barrel and begin to see what it can do. Not everyone likes that. Some really enjoy going online or supporting their favorite gun shop, and ordering a complete rifle, feeling confident in the shops ability to produce an excellent firearm for them. I can get it, but it's not what pegs my fun meter.
    The other other variable mentioned above. Will you build or buy more AR's? If this is just a one-time deal, then I would probably recommend buying a complete rifle, or maybe even a separate lower and upper if you want. I say that because unless you know someone who has the tools, the proper tools, it's probably not worth the expense of a good vise, barrel wrench, punch set etc. general automotive grade usually isn't good enough (unless its Snap-On). My 5 sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 09-19-17 at 12:07.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    To answer your question, as of right now it will be a one off build. However, I have a buddy that owns a small local gun shop that would help me with the build. And I currently have another AR, so it's time I invest in the proper tools anyhow.

I plan to use this gun for punch paper and silouhettes out to 600, possibly hog and deer hunting. I have a Remington 300wm so it won't be a primary hunting rifle. It will run a suppressor 90% of the time as well. I'm thinking if I build I will go with an 18" medium contour barrel so it's still somewhat maneuverable if I choose to lug it around.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

I chose 18" for both SPR and DMR builds for that same reason. Yes you lose a little on velocity and range, but it does make for a more maneuverable weapon. Especially once you get a can on it. And it will deliver in the range that I want to work within.

Not sure if your budget, but if you are looking at a LaRue, the. your budget will definitely allow you to build out a very nice precision gun. A very actuate AR. For example a Gen 3 matched upper and lower and a Noveske 18" switchblock SS barrel.
    Something like this:

This would be an excellent start to a VERY solid precision rifle. The Noveske Switchblock makes going from suppressed to unsuppressed and back in a second.
    Or if you want closer to mil spec looks, the Gen 1 lower (Noveske's standard mil spec lower) and a MUR 1 or even a Gen 1 upper and you've cut your upper/lower receiver cost in half.
    I noticed LaRue is offering a stripped lower with their upper build, but in my opinion they pigeonhole your with almost zero choices.

This part to me is the most exciting part of a custom build. Looking at what quality manufacturers have to offer having some discussion and choosing what you want to become your rifle.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    It's not about the actual assembly or putting together, I still enjoy that, but to me, it's the process . It's defining or identifying a purpose, it's the parts selection, the finding good deals and finally building. And yes, I get excited when I break in a barrel and begin to see what it can do. Not everyone likes that.
    Oh god, the process. It's addictive.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at the Noveske a couple days ago. I'm looking for a 308 build and noticed that they had a switch lock for 308 now. My only concern is if their barrel is sub-Moa capable.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I chose 18" for both SPR and DMR builds for that same reason. Yes you lose a little on velocity and range, but it does make for a more maneuverable weapon. Especially once you get a can on it. And it will deliver in the range that I want to work within.

Not sure if your budget, but if you are looking at a LaRue, the. your budget will definitely allow you to build out a very nice precision gun. A very actuate AR. For example a Gen 3 matched upper and lower and a Noveske 18" switchblock SS barrel.
    Something like this:

This would be an excellent start to a VERY solid precision rifle. The Noveske Switchblock makes going from suppressed to unsuppressed and back in a second.
    Or if you want closer to mil spec looks, the Gen 1 lower (Noveske's standard mil spec lower) and a MUR 1 or even a Gen 1 upper and you've cut your upper/lower receiver cost in half.
    I noticed LaRue is offering a stripped lower with their upper build, but in my opinion they pigeonhole your with almost zero choices.

This part to me is the most exciting part of a custom build. Looking at what quality manufacturers have to offer having some discussion and choosing what you want to become your rifle.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I too enjoy the build process, but bought a Colt LE901 for my .308. After much research, I just wasn't comfortable enough with the lack of milspec-type standard (for lack of a better word) for large frame AR's. I understand that many have built reliable and accurate guns with careful parts selection, but it just isn't for me. KAC, LMT, Larue and Colt are where I'd look, but good luck to you whatever you decide.

As an aside, I was pleasantly surprised by my 901's accuracy. Five handloaded 155 gr. AMAX's in 3/4 of an inch. I'll try and find the targets for pictures.

Feedback Score
    For a factory gun it might be worth looking into the LMT MWS with a match grade barrel as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast