Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retro Colt A2 "Police Dissipator" Reproduction

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    I have a CHIP's 'dissapator' carbine, tho' mine came with an A2 stock, which is too long for me; replaced it with an A1.
    Moon
    The CHIP model is the one I replicated (I think). The advertisement I posted here shows a photo of what I got the idea from a few years ago. These were sold by CDNN back in 2012 or 2013 if I recall.

I used some extra ArmaLite green furniture on mine.

All in all it shot and handled real well. I like the balance of it.

You should share some photos of your's if possible. I'd also like to see a shot of the gas tube configuration on an original (if you can remove the hand guards for a photo).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GRA556; 12-14-18 at 10:49.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, that's the critter, tho' mine had a fixed A2 stock. Got mine from CDNN ($899 IIRC), mostly because of the 'dissapator' idea, not quite realizing what it was. The Black Rifle lists it as a 6536, California Highway Patrol Carbine. Reputedly, Colt built them for CHIPs to fit their existing shotgun racks.
    The gas tube is mounted halfway back the barrel (8.25" from the FH) which is an HBar. Pulling the handguards is no problem; posting pics is...maybe it's easier here than elsewhere.
    I like this carbine's long sight radius, but not the HBar. It is original, so I won't change it, but a pencil barrel would feel better to me.
    The only changes I've made are a XS 'skunk stripe' front sight and a light rail on the FSB.
    Got to think it would piss off Nancy Pelosi to know I had a Cali gun...
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Yeah, that's the critter, tho' mine had a fixed A2 stock. Got mine from CDNN ($899 IIRC), mostly because of the 'dissapator' idea, not quite realizing what it was. The Black Rifle lists it as a 6536, California Highway Patrol Carbine. Reputedly, Colt built them for CHIPs to fit their existing shotgun racks.
    The gas tube is mounted halfway back the barrel (8.25" from the FH) which is an HBar. Pulling the handguards is no problem; posting pics is...maybe it's easier here than elsewhere.
    I like this carbine's long sight radius, but not the HBar. It is original, so I won't change it, but a pencil barrel would feel better to me.
    The only changes I've made are a XS 'skunk stripe' front sight and a light rail on the FSB.
    Got to think it would piss off Nancy Pelosi to know I had a Cali gun...
    Moon
    Thank you. I corrected my stock description above. I forgot I used the green A2 stock on a BCM 20" rifle.

Yes ... the longer sight radius is much easier on my 57 year old eyes and is the other main reason I did this.

I've since made some changes. I am still using the green furniture with collapsable stock but it's an upgraded IMI stock with a receptacle for a QD sling. I also used a real nice and softer IMI grip that is basically an A1 style grip but with a black insert. Really looks good. If I could find my camera I'd post updated photos. I'm also currently changing the barrel to a Faxon 1-8" twist pencil barrel. The barrel used in the photos is a heavier 1-9" twist Double Star barrel which shot well but I wanted a faster twist for heavier rounds and lighter weight as I planned on hunting hogs which here in Texas may or may not require a lot of standing for hours and/or long distance walking to get to a stand somewhere.
    Last edited by GRA556; 12-14-18 at 10:56.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    IIRC, mine has a 1:9 barrel.
    Hope yours shoots well for you.
    Other than the need to attach a bayonet, never quite understood why all the carbines weren't in this configuration. The long exposed barrel leaves the gun the same length, but gives away sight radius, and irons ruled the day back then.
    Mine runs both 62 and 55 grain, which suits me just fine.
    I'll remove the piece of Picatinny rail clamped to the FSB; I've other things that can legitimately attach a light.
    Moon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12