Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I over thinking this?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Am I over thinking this?

Looking at my first suppressor. I've got it narrowed down to the SiCo Omega, Saker 556 and Saker 556K (the new ASR models). Speq program pricing/availability and SiCo reputation has me sold.

I visited the local dealer and lined up all three. The I just wasn't sold on the Omega for the $200+ price jump. Kind of looking at the Saker and Saker K (only in 556 variant). I have no desire to deal with any bullet in .30 cal so the caliber versatility thing just doesn't appeal. The can would be used for training etc. I have a dept. issued rifle for work, so it's more of a fun gun kind of deal.

It will eventually end up on an SBR, probably a 11.5" BCM. I also have a 16" BCM upper that will of course have an ASR mount installed so the can could end up on the gun at any given point.

I'm leaning towards the 556K model as its clearly the lighter of the two. I was a little surprised how heavy the full size Saker felt on an SBR. I'm getting hung up on whether or not a K can would be hearing safe on an SBR. Some, including the dealer, say yes it is. Others make the blanket statement that no 5.56 can is hearing safe, period. I also have come to realize that generally, I'll be shooting with a handgun (not suppressed) and/or around other people shooting unsuppressed. What I am looking for is reduced noise. I spend a lot of time around firearms in indoor or partially covered outdoor ranges so every bit of noise protection helps long term.

If I have the opportunity to shoot the SBR suppressed with no ear pro, am I setting myself up for problems with a short can? If yes, than I'll get the full size Saker. If not, the smaller one it is. That seems to be the deciding factor for me.

What says your experience?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    "Hearing safe" and safe for your ears are two different things. OSHA rates an impulse noise of 140 dB to be "hearing safe." In reality, it will damage your hearing. Port noise is also a pretty big deal on ARs.

The louder and more exposure, the more damage to your ears. If you say unsuppressed is a 1000 on the risk-meter, then a can puts it to 50, it is TREMENDOUSLY less--- but still is going to damage your ears over time. The more quiet the rifle and suppressor, and the less you shoot, the longer you can preserve your hearing.

If you find yourself having a bad day and end up fighting with an AR inside a building, without a can your going to have some pretty immediate hearing loss. Pain, ringing, long term damage. With a can, it will have a little bite to it and do some lasting damage to your ears but not nearly as much. Driving a car puts wear on tires, and doing a burn out does the same damage to them at a much, much faster rate. Same logic with suppressing a rifle.

Feedback Score
    A short can on a short rifle is a recipe for a loud rifle. As long as your expectations are in line with that, you are good to go.

Feedback Score
    If you are looking for an occasional shot, like hunting short on short will be better than any centerfire gun unsilenced.

If you want to do magdumps without ear pro, don't. A 22 is the only "quiet" one. Even a silenced 9mm pistol is loud and the port is far from the ear.

Again, a few shots won't do much, but I wouldn't do it all day if I had a choice.

Electronic ear pro and silencers are a great combo, since you should double up for rifles, especially indoors.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-27-17 at 21:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm running an Omega direct thread on an 11.5" barrel with the 22 caliber flat cap. It's not perfect, (no suppressor is) but I like shooting with a suppressor much better than shooting without, even while wearing ear protection. Handling with a short suppressor is much better than with a long suppressor. I suggest getting either the Saker K or the Omega
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Looking at my first suppressor. I've got it narrowed down to the SiCo Omega, Saker 556 and Saker 556K (the new ASR models). Speq program pricing/availability and SiCo reputation has me sold.

I visited the local dealer and lined up all three. The I just wasn't sold on the Omega for the $200+ price jump. Kind of looking at the Saker and Saker K (only in 556 variant). I have no desire to deal with any bullet in .30 cal so the caliber versatility thing just doesn't appeal. The can would be used for training etc. I have a dept. issued rifle for work, so it's more of a fun gun kind of deal.

It will eventually end up on an SBR, probably a 11.5" BCM. I also have a 16" BCM upper that will of course have an ASR mount installed so the can could end up on the gun at any given point.

I'm leaning towards the 556K model as its clearly the lighter of the two. I was a little surprised how heavy the full size Saker felt on an SBR. I'm getting hung up on whether or not a K can would be hearing safe on an SBR. Some, including the dealer, say yes it is. Others make the blanket statement that no 5.56 can is hearing safe, period. I also have come to realize that generally, I'll be shooting with a handgun (not suppressed) and/or around other people shooting unsuppressed. What I am looking for is reduced noise. I spend a lot of time around firearms in indoor or partially covered outdoor ranges so every bit of noise protection helps long term.

If I have the opportunity to shoot the SBR suppressed with no ear pro, am I setting myself up for problems with a short can? If yes, than I'll get the full size Saker. If not, the smaller one it is. That seems to be the deciding factor for me.

What says your experience?

The correct answer is a Surefire Socom
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    I think if you're only going to have one can dedicated for 556 a short can is the way to go. I subscribe to the line of reasoning that nothing is going to be hearing safe in that caliber and the shorter can is easier to deal with on longer barrels.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have both the Omega and the Saker 556. I use the Omega a lot more than the saker, even on my 5.56 rifles. Tone is better and it is lighter.

My Saker usually rides on a BCM factory 12.5" CHF SBR barreled upper, somehow that rifle became a really, really heavy pig. I rarely dig it out as there are lighter options for me in the safe.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ODgreenpizza View Post
    I think if you're only going to have one can dedicated for 556 a short can is the way to go. I subscribe to the line of reasoning that nothing is going to be hearing safe in that caliber and the shorter can is easier to deal with on longer barrels.
    A difference of philosophy, but I would say a full sized can is the way to go. If you are going to go to the trouble, you might as well get the best suppression possible for the small penalty in size.

..and as a guy who already has a pile of suppressors from .22 to .50 cal (probably four 5.56 suppressors), I personally can't imagine buying a short 5.56 suppressor ever...for anything.

You really just have to figure out on your own if you want loud or not-so-loud suppressors...taking into consideration the type of shooting you want to do, where you will shoot, and the rifle you will use it on.
    Last edited by eodinert; 09-29-17 at 13:28.

Feedback Score
    I had an AAC SPR-M4 and I have an AAC Cyclone (now pulling double duty) while the NFA and AAC sort out a warranty replacement on the SPR-M4. I have also purchased an Omega as I have learned from the heavy cans on the 11.5" BCM barreled upper that weight/balance is more important than a very few decibels. AAC has given me one of their new SR-5 models, and at SHOT Show last year I discovered Freedom Armory Machine Works; http://www.famachineworks.com/products/#toggle-id-4
    So Seeing the quality and the weight... I purchased one of those as well. Hoping to see these cans show up before Spring of 2018. Anyways back to your situation; sound will be important, why else get a suppressor? Can you hear the difference between 1 or 2 decibels maybe, but the tone of the can will be something that you notice. Port noise is very real, I have 2 Noveske SwitchBlocks and in the off position I am amazed at the additional reduction in apparent noise. If at all possible test drive the concept you envision before you decide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast