Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M16 registered receiver repair service recommendations sought...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

M16 registered receiver repair service recommendations sought...

I bought a registered receiver M16. It has serious damage that was not disclosed. The seller is willing to pay the repair cost.

The fire control group holes are seriously egged out and some clown tried gouging the receiver into the pins to stake them. The trigger guard ears may also be damaged but I can't be sure as there is a bunch of JB weld type crap in that area near the mag well where the trigger guard attaches (frozen/stuck).

Who offers M16 registered receiver repair services that can fix egged out fire control group holes and that you would recommend? What does this type of thing normally cost (again the seller offered to cover it but I am just curious). Is this even possible (if it can't be repaired they have offered a refund)?

TED

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    I bought a registered receiver M16. It has serious damage that was not disclosed. The seller is willing to pay the repair cost.

The fire control group holes are seriously egged out and some clown tried gouging the receiver into the pins to stake them. The trigger guard ears may also be damaged but I can't be sure as there is a bunch of JB weld type crap in that area near the mag well where the trigger guard attaches (frozen/stuck).

Who offers M16 registered receiver repair services that can fix egged out fire control group holes and that you would recommend? What does this type of thing normally cost (again the seller offered to cover it but I am just curious). Is this even possible (if it can't be repaired they have offered a refund)?

TED
    Wow that really sucks. I can't help you on the recommendation butI would get a refund. If you paid anywhere close to market price for it, you are going to be out serious bucks on the investment even if its repaired well. I'd get out now and not try to rehab it.

D
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    Wow that really sucks. I can't help you on the recommendation butI would get a refund. If you paid anywhere close to market price for it, you are going to be out serious bucks on the investment even if its repaired well. I'd get out now and not try to rehab it.

D
    I will second this. Even repaired, it will not be worth as much as one that is in good working order. I'd take the refund and go back to looking. Personal opinion. Hope it does get sorted out for you OP.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    For the egged out holes you could bore them out and have repair sleeves turned and bonded in place. Loctite makes a good product for such applications. Any machine shop could do that kind of work but you would need to be able to tell them the location of the holes because with the existing holes wallowed out they couldn't accurately pick up their true position with an indicator. As for technical legalities and a regular shop that isn't an SOT I would imagine you would just have to be there with the receiver while the work is done. I think you would generally be looking at about $60/hr in machine shop labor. 7075 aluminum is not weldable so any type of weld repair is out. If you opt for repairs I would expect a hefty partial refund in addition to repair costs.
    Last edited by Eric D.; 06-06-17 at 15:00.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I sadly think your at a total loss. It would suck to put $200 more into and it go south. I'd walk now and learn your lesson.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Unless you paid significantly less than market value, I would suggest a refund. Even once it has been repaired it will still always command less money than a transferable lower that has not been damaged.

If you choose to have it repaired, M60Joe and Victor at US Anodizing are who you need to seek out. M60Joe has repaired some seriously busted M16 lowers. You will want to send to victor at US Anodizing for re-anodizing after Joe corrects it.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I 'm guessing the price was too good to pass up, now you know why. Send it back before you find some other issues you haven't noticed yet.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Herb, aka M60Joe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Send it to me and I'll fix it.

Seriously though, get a refund and them have the guy contact me for the substantially discounted price from whatever it is you paid which I hope was below market value. For the right price I'll put some effort into 'er.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Herb, aka M60Joe
    Second this, he does excellent work.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast