Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The new Ruger AR-556 MPR is quite nice

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Holy necro-post Batman!

Yeah, from looking at Ruger's own specs it appears that it has a non-lined, not even nitrided barrel. "Black oxide" is the only thing they mention. That isn't getting "serious".
    Getting closer and closer to "serious" at least.

Do any of their current offerings have a nitride barrel? Some of the SR556 piston guns had chrome lined barrels but they discontinued those guns awhile ago.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    I'll say Ruger's customer service stated its a "The AR-556 barrel has a melanite nitride treatment on the inside and a black oxide coating to provide corrosion resistance."

So it is lined its just not advertised very well, my sample of 1 did have a fsb pin that wasn't super tight, but didn't come out until I hit it intentionally with a punch, and the "genius" qd socket instead of a sling loop didnt fit a magpul push button disconnect. Other then that it has run through approximately 1.5k rounds, not a huge amount, but the only issue I've had was two failure to extract while shooting Tula, but I'm going to place the blame on the ammo rather then the gun. As far as small details: it has an insert and extractor o ring, the bcg is a modified semiauto bolt carrier, the rear lug isn't all the way cut back, but is shorter then a full auto carrier, and the firing pin gets chewed up from the shroud being cut short, I doubt it causes issues, but it does chowder the edge of the pin. It was fairly overgassed, it would cycle a springco blue with an h3 buffer shooting Steel case wolf, so a brt gas tube would probably be in order. I belive ruger states they do a HPT and MPI on the bolt that's mated to the barrel, so thats a solid plus, as far as staking it isn't the typical staking but it seems sufficient. Accuracy is good enough that I don't feel like the misses are the gun, say 1.5-3 moa depending on the ammo, I know i have taken it out to 600 with a 1-6, and had ok results, the "medium" contour is pretty heavy, something like .9 to gas block and .750-.720 to muzzle. I didn't like the plastic delta "ring" that threads on and off, its a good idea in principle, but aluminim wouldn't have been much more and lateral knurling instead of the typical knurling on delta rings would have been nice, I replaced the handguard before long, and the barrel nut on my example was pretty snug. Other than the stated complaints I have enjoyed the gun through my smaller sample size of ammo. Oh and the mil spec style trigger was atrocious, felt very gritty and was 8-9lbs, not far outside of the specification i guess but not good, probably better then a trigger that came in an Armalite m15, but not by much.
    Last edited by 95fordfleetside; 04-24-21 at 20:18. Reason: Didn't include whole post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123