Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest Rig Help

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Chest Rig Help

I'm trying to build a chest rig for work (LE). I'm narrowed down to a Spiritus system, Haley Strategic D3CRX, or a built one off of Blue force gear pouches. I'm not looking to go the plate carrier route because its outside the scope of what I'm looking for since I wear an external carrier already (the shirt looking one unfortunately).

I'm looking to get 3 AR mags, 2 Glock mags, and a general purpose pouch. I might add a second flashlight and a multitool to it as well. I'm wanting this to be as lightweight as possible which is why I'm looking more at using the BFG options.

Has anyone used the BFG Mag NOW! Pouch and attached their 10 speed pistol mag pouches to the front? Also has anyone taken the Mag now pouch and managed to get kydex inserts to work? My other option is going with Kywi's on the front of it. The base itself would be the RackMinus.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A couple more questions if I may, it would help with suggestions. Are you looking to include medical as well? Is this going to be an active shooter rig or more tuned for patrol rifle deployments?

If you're trying to stay light and slim, the Spiritus will probably end up being your best option, based on your mentioned loadout. If you need an admin pouch for incidentals AND medical, the Haley would be better suited.

I've used 10 speed pouches and would not use it as a dedicated, full-time mag pouch, just due to the set and loss of retention in the elastic after a while. I had a triple on my plate carrier and after a year in the trunk of a hot patrol car I went to don my PC and the two outside mags had lost all retention and fell out. I know guys have used them in theater, but it wouldn't be my preference on a work rig other than a back up/extra mag pouch. Simply my preference.

As for putting a 10 speed on the front of the Mag NOW, I can't see why it wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Boy Scout; 09-27-17 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Probably not so much additional medical. We carry a pocket trauma kit and a tourniquet. I might add an extra tourniquet to the rig but without more medical training it would be extra weight for no benefit to me. Also, FD/EMS rolls with us if we need that option so my role is more limited to clearing in an active shooter or perimeter in a standoff.
    More so active shooter rig, but I'm looking into the additional option of adding a 20rd mag to my duty belt if I just had time to grab the rifle and not the kit and go.
    The spiritus looks almost perfect but I'm trying to grasp their mag retention and if it would as well as just kydex for ease of in and out if I used the rig in a class too.

The D3CR I fear may be wider than I want, and heavier, with that fourth mag.
    The other option I considered was the BFG rackminus with the Kywi's mounted on the front instead of the 10speeds. Saves weight in the harness itself but the robustness of the kywi pouches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yeah I've had similar experience pre-PC/outer carrier with wanting a small chest rig. I ended up using (and loving) an older 5.11 chest rig (about 12" across) with a double AR/Double pistol mag pouch and a HSGI Bleeder IFAK to deploy for active shooter stuff. It was compact, held tight to the body and had the basics. I've moved into different positions than standard patrol so that has changed my daily loadout.

I've not used the Spiritus but they get rave reviews. KYWI's and the Rack-Minus would be a good foundation and allow to change stuff around and add some pouches later if you need it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I currently run a LBT style chest rig very similar to their Flyye rig. I am very happy with and have fielded it for 4-5 years now. Might be a little overkill for what you stated you want. I keep it in a backpack in my home/vehicle so it stays out of sight and mind. I run 5/6 AR mags (depending on if I need to carry coms,) and 3/4 pistol mags. If moving at night I replace one of the pistol mags with an extra light (the pouches fit my 2 cell CR123 lights well.) Rolled up it's small enough to fit in a laptop bag, which I would use to transport it when I wanted to stay under the radar with gear, or was in a location that would draw unwanted attention.

http://www.military1st.com/products/...hoCfCMQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by Freelance; 09-28-17 at 15:45.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Have you considered the Mayflower UW Chest Rig? Very similar to the Haley rig. I've been running the Mayflower rig for at least 3-4 years now and like it a lot. It can also be used as a placard on a Mayflower plate carrier or a Velocity Systems plate carrier.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Extreme Gear labs has 3 mag chest rig just like the Haley. Unsure what wait times are like as I've never ordered from them and think I remember reading that they're a small custom shop. Call and ask.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caeser25 View Post
    Extreme Gear labs has 3 mag chest rig just like the Haley. Unsure what wait times are like as I've never ordered from them and think I remember reading that they're a small custom shop. Call and ask.
    Actually that's who I went with earlier today. His rigs were the original concept behind the D3CR kit. So I have him making me a 3 AR mag, 4 pistol mag, GP pouch that will take a dangler if I want to later and it will use kywi inserts instead of flaps on the pistols or cord on the AR mags.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow93 View Post
    Actually that's who I went with earlier today. His rigs were the original concept behind the D3CR kit. So I have him making me a 3 AR mag, 4 pistol mag, GP pouch that will take a dangler if I want to later and it will use kywi inserts instead of flaps on the pistols or cord on the AR mags.
    Sounds good. I'd love to see a pic when you get in hand. Eggroll makes good kit.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
    I've used 10 speed pouches and would not use it as a dedicated, full-time mag pouch, just due to the set and loss of retention in the elastic after a while. I had a triple on my plate carrier and after a year in the trunk of a hot patrol car I went to don my PC and the two outside mags had lost all retention and fell out. I know guys have used them in theater, but it wouldn't be my preference on a work rig other than a back up/extra mag pouch. Simply my preference.

As for putting a 10 speed on the front of the Mag NOW, I can't see why it wouldn't work.
    I concur that the 10 speed pouches are great for ADDITIONAL mag storage, but a poor choice for primary. Was running a triple 10 speed on the front of a plate carrier. As there is no retention other than the elastic, which I was at a course shooting a barricade from under limited cover (drill involved shooting from one side then transitioning to the other without rising above 24", so you transition on your belly) I lost ALL 3 mags as I was turning which I didn't discover until I had run dry (pulled a fresh mag from the belt), but it was a learning experience that taught me the value of mag retention. You so much as bump the bottom of a 10 speed lower when not standing upright and the mags will pop out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast