Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silky Big Boy 2000 XL Folding Saw

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I know it's probably different usage, but how do you guys reconcile these versus the Sven saw?

Pruning as handy I guess, but if I'm going to carry the weight I find the Sven saw can do a lot more and blade replacement is trivial.

I keep Sven saws in my four wheel drives and they've saved my bacon a couple of times. Making a path or making a pole.

About the fastest way I know to take out a 2 to 6 inch tree when you don't have a chainsaw.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have had really good results with my Sven saw as well. I had had one since my time in the Scouts, it's got to be well over 40 years old and still going strong.

Feedback Score
    Nice review! I have a few Silky Saws myself but can't find at the moment. But here's one of them.

Attachment 47792

Attachment 47793

Don't really know why I got it, but there it is! Never had the opportunity to use it outright.
    Last edited by CLHC; 10-02-17 at 22:28. Reason: Spelling!
    In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet. —Quintus Dias

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I know it's probably different usage, but how do you guys reconcile these versus the Sven saw?

Pruning as handy I guess, but if I'm going to carry the weight I find the Sven saw can do a lot more and blade replacement is trivial.

I keep Sven saws in my four wheel drives and they've saved my bacon a couple of times. Making a path or making a pole.

About the fastest way I know to take out a 2 to 6 inch tree when you don't have a chainsaw.

Sort of a different tool, to me.

Keep one in the glove box, perfect for a spotter to try and keep branches from scraping more paint from the sides of the vehicle.

Very handy during season to open a lane of fire, simple one button folding. Slips into your back pocket. I may be cutting only a few branches.

You're right, the Sven is probably more durable as a dedicated post maker, large diameter saw, the Silky is super handy to carry and deploy.

I like the metal frame and replacement blade availability. Very durable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post

I personally chose these types of saws because you can use the entire length of the blade, with the Sevn's triangular design you're limited to logs that fit inside the triangle, and sometimes that wouldn't give you a lot of room to pull the saw back and forth. With this saw you just let it rip and use the entire length of the teeth. I've seen a couple of reviews comparing the Sven to the Silky, from what I remember most people thought the Silky cut better. But honestly, you can't go wrong with either saw. The Sven's blades are cheaper to replace. It probably packs down smaller and is lighter too. Also big difference is that with these folding saws your hands are further away from the log and you can't bash your knuckles against the log.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have had really good results with my Sven saw as well. I had had one since my time in the Scouts, it's got to be well over 40 years old and still going strong.
    Wow that's awesome. Testament to it's durability

Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    Nice review! I have a few Siky Saws myself but can't find at the moment. But here's one of them.

Attachment 47792

Attachment 47793

Don't really know why I got it, but there it is! Never had the opportunity to use it outright.
    Man I need one of those! Katanaboy! Too bad I wouldn't have much use for it I imagine it's fun to use!

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Drift View Post
    Sort of a different tool, to me.

Keep one in the glove box, perfect for a spotter to try and keep branches from scraping more paint from the sides of the vehicle.

Very handy during season to open a lane of fire, simple one button folding. Slips into your back pocket. I may be cutting only a few branches.

You're right, the Sven is probably more durable as a dedicated post maker, large diameter saw, the Silky is super handy to carry and deploy.

I like the metal frame and replacement blade availability. Very durable.
    Good points and insight!
    Last edited by bushcraftdave; 10-02-17 at 21:48.
    Disclaimer: I make videos as a hobby and share them on YouTube.

Feedback Score
    This gives me hope I remember hating saws as a boy scout. The lockup was hot garbage on them always, nothing near what I'm seeing here.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    We issue Pocketboys (130mm) to all of our field instructors. They are great for most general field craft tasks, especially with an aggressive blade. I also use the Gomboy (210mm) quite a bit.

That said, I always have a Sven saw in my pack. I cycle from the small in the summer to the larger saw in the winter. For eating larger timber for lean-to's and getting serious firewood when it's sub-zero, the Sven saw punches far above it's weight and small form-factor.

I also won't leave a Silky saw un-supervised with students, 9 times out of 10, I will return to a bent or broken blade. The fact that it's a draw saw gets lost on those that are out of their element. I have yet to have a student (even Marines) break a Sven saw. The closest they've come is breaking the swivel to the 500 cord tether to the wing-nut. Easy fix and doesn't take the saw out of commission.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I keep one in my extraction bag in my Raptor. These little saws work great for clearing trails and such.

Feedback Score
    I have both a Sven and a Silky bigboy that I use when riding my horses in the back country. Mostly to clear fallen trees and large limbs from the trail. I really like how quick and easily the Silky is to use and deploy. I can usually get on my way in no time. The Sven takes more time to deploy and put away than the Silky. I have also managed to break a Sven blade when a larger log I was cutting pinched the blade. I tried to force it free and ended up breaking the blade. (Tip....carry a small plastic splitting wedge to keep your cut open). For me the Silky Big boy is the way to go, but the Sven is definitely lighter and easier to store, especially if backpacking and weight is an issue.

I am also looking for a recommendation on hand drawn chain saws for cutting very large downed trees (think 3' thick or more). I would use it as a 2 person crosscut saw.

Regards,

Sean

Feedback Score
    I've got a couple Silkys. 210 and 500. 210 great in the backpack, the 500 lives in the truck. The thing with Silky saws is to work with the pull-cut, and not bend/break the blade. The big upside is that there is no frame to limit cutting depth or stroke length.

The Katanaboy 500 is a serious folding saw.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast