Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
Help me tell a friend where he can do better than a Ruger 8514 AR-556 for $789.99?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/941707884

I've already suggested he look at a 6920OEM1 at ArmsUnlimited, and told him if he goes that route I'll donate a CAR plastic handguard from my spares box to get him up to speed so all he needs from there is a rear sight, triggerguard, stock, sling and optic, and he can probably One Stop Shop everything else at Midway if we can ever get him past "I'm not an armorer and have no desire to ever learn to do it myself."
What specifically with the Ruger is he interested in? Is he just looking at the price point, barrel length, the aesthetics of the handguard? There are good/better sub $1000 complete rifle options outside of Ruger. If price is key I would probably try to push him toward an Aero Precision upper and lower (can find decent deals if you cherry pick from different sites). Or an Aero upper and really any lower from a company where it would be returnable if it shows up with any QC issues. I assume he's trying to purchase a complete rifle because he doesn't want to do his own build?