Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American Made movie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    This is on my rent list.

Very interested in the back story of this film. Kind of a hobby of mine.
    Smuggling drugs in airplanes?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post

Not so much, more like I read up on everything CIA especially their engagement in "illegal" activities. Visiting the CIA Museum is on my bucket list but it is not open to the public so I probably will never be able to scratch that itch.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Im trying to compare American Made to Blow featuring the story of George Jung. Both Barry Seal and George Jung had similar roles in the transportation of white powder in the 1980s. Obviously the CIA is responsible for Seals death for leaking photos of him. I think Jung recently got released from prison. Not sure though.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    Im trying to compare American Made to Blow featuring the story of George Jung. Both Barry Seal and George Jung had similar roles in the transportation of white powder in the 1980s. Obviously the CIA is responsible for Seals death for leaking photos of him. I think Jung recently got released from prison. Not sure though.
    In 1990 Mel Gibson and Robert Downing Jr. made a film called Air America, it was about the CIA dummy corporation by the same name that did this sort of thing in SE Asia during the Vietnam War.

If your interested in this subject matter research Garry Webb, a journalist who committed suicide by shooting himself in the head twice.

They made a movie about him as well.

Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 10-08-17 at 06:27.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Were Don Henry or Kevin Ives in the plot of the film?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    You just made me blow milk out of my nose and back into my cereal...
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Didn't Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr. make this movie already - about 30 years ago?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't think you can tell the whole cold war air transport story in a movie, or even in a single book. Among the players were:

Flying Tiger Airlines: Founded by ex-AVG pilots from the China theater in WWII; later bought by FedEx. It had both civilian and military charter duties.

Civil Air Transport (CAT, a/k/a China Air Transport): Founded by Claire Chennault of the AVG. Performed numerous air supply duties (including at Dien Bien Phu) for decades.

Air America: Owned/controlled by the CIA, supposedly. Some say it was the partial successor to CAT, and some say had 6000 aircraft at one time, making it by far the largest airline in the world (the Wiki entry gives it '80+', but I call BS). I am pretty sure that no one really knows how large it was or everywhere it operated. Probably most famous for SE Asia operations using the Pilatus Porter STOL aircraft.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Didn't Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr. make this movie already - about 30 years ago?
    Two posts above yours, #14.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    "People always ask, 'is that an UZI?', why yes it IS an UZI. Self defense is no laughing matter."
    Last edited by Firefly; 10-09-17 at 04:30.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast