Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Benchmark Times to Shoot For With Your AR15 - An M4C Collaboration Project

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Bumping this thread up.

Shot the Modified Navy Qual in 21.33 clean for a -3 score. That is a deceptively difficult drill, as on paper it’s rather underwhelming but that’s a surprising amount of work done in 25 seconds.

How are the other members doing? Anyone got any benchmarks for us to shoot for?
    Excellent! Right now if just trying to consistently shoot this qual clean within 40 secs, then I can work on getting it better! When I push the speed, my accuracy suffers.

I am looking for a carbine version of Chuck Pressburg's "No Fail Pistol" qual.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Man, that No Fail drill is absolutely no joke. I haven’t been able to shoot it clean, despite routinely being able to slow fire 95+ on a B-8.

Something about having to perform like that for a string of 10 really speaks to the discipline of a shooter who can clean it. Props to them, and to Mr. Pressburg for walking the walk in the demo vid.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Man, that No Fail drill is absolutely no joke. I haven’t been able to shoot it clean, despite routinely being able to slow fire 95+ on a B-8.

Something about having to perform like that for a string of 10 really speaks to the discipline of a shooter who can clean it. Props to them, and to Mr. Pressburg for walking the walk in the demo vid.
    How did you get to being able to shoot the MNQ at that speed? I struggle with shooting fast and accurately when standing. My mag changes are around 3.5 secs between shots, and I'm noticeably faster kneeling and prone segments. I think if I could get more consistent speed when standing, I would get better results. I'm working on incremental change, but as of now, I'm stalled. 1x4 at 4x or red dot doesn't seem to matter either.
    Last edited by nightchief; 07-31-19 at 14:25.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    How did you get to being able to shoot the MNQ at that speed?
    I don't necessarily believe I shoot quickly, so much as I was fortunate to have some good mentors and quality instruction along the way that helped build a relatively consistent foundation for me to fall back on. I've never focused on doing one particular task, rather I try to put multiple mechanics in to my shooting.

Here are the reloads from my MNQ run as well as the 5 kneeling shots. Instead of focusing on reloading, or shooting kneeling, I just perform the tasks as a string and incorporate them in to other courses of fire. Doing 100 reps of reloads would be an inefficient use of training time. Instead, along with those 100 reloads, I can also have 50 movements in to and out of a kneeling position with an accurate hit at X distance.

Plenty of faster shooters than I am, but I'm just trying to keep the edge sharp and have a good time. I'm grateful to have learned from some truly talented shooters along the way.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    nightchief,

Take that shot cadence at 50, and here's a vid of shooting at a B/C steel at 200. It's not really that much different (I mean...it's obviously slower), and hits are hits. If you can focus on building and becoming familiar with your natural point of aim as well as learn to trust the "wobble zone" in your sights while insuring you control the trigger, then I think the speed will come as a byproduct of being efficient. I've noticed a lot of dudes ambush the trigger when their sights come in to alignment and that flinch throws off what would have likely been a good hit.

Not a coach, and also not a professional shooter. But I hope this helps, and if you'd like to ever talk through PM, hit me up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's my observation:

-You live and die by reloads.
    -Every position change means you are for a moment taking your eye off the ball
    -Trigger control and posture counts

These are such easy, elementary, week 1 day 1 concepts but when rubber meets the road become all the more humbling.

A lot of youtube people try to come up with gunkata and sit ups while shooting an AK or other theatrics but at days end....

It all boils down to refined fundamentals.
    And shooting really is a perishable skill.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Can we get this thread made a sticky since it’s actually about shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post

This, please. This is probably THE most No BS thread in all of M4C. It’s either on paper or it isn’t.
    You are either beating the clock or you aren’t.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Agreed, 100%

This thread is inspiring me to get out more and run some drills. When my arm heals up I'm for sure gonna get a timer and shoot some MNQs.

I have no doubt it'll be a humbling experience, but you don't get better by just doing the same things over and over that you already do well.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    This...please!

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast