Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Benchmark Times to Shoot For With Your AR15 - An M4C Collaboration Project

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I don't know the name, we did it on the 500 yard range. Start at 500 yards, run to 50, 5 shots to CM, run back to 500 then run to 100, same thing, run to 500 then run to 150, same...and so on. It takes a while and its crazy to see how many people start sucking pretty quickly. It was done with a standard target, one each, I don't know the name. You can use any target. We did this for pre-deployment train-ups.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I just ran this twice.

My best time was ~28.35 (I don’t remember exact but it’s on video) with one miss. By my
    Math that’s 39.35?

My second was ~31.5 sec with no misses. Which I guess is 43.5?

I’m out here at the Range I’m gonna try one more time cuz I know I can get 25 with no misses.

ETA ran it a third time. 24.42 with no misses. Got it all on a GoPro and 2 witnesses.
    Damn good shooting man. Ive done under 25 seconds once. On a good day I usually score around 30 and on off days Im around 40.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    I am just glad that this thread is getting almost as many posts as the ridiculous flaming shit pile that is the--and I wish I were joking--Best BackUp Bolt Cam Pin to Keep as Backup thread. Don't worry, though, that thread has more views Obviously that is more important & interesting to most folks than actually shooting their rifles.
    I will never understand the internet’s total and complete fascination with things they don’t even use.

The abundance of discussions like the one you mentioned are the very reason I made this thread. I am out shooting twice a week running drills for time and accuracy. I’m throwing out SBR shots at IPSC targets from 600 yards away with a red dot. It isn’t until I get on the internet that I find out that’s impossible and the 5.56 SBR is a 100 yard gun.

Yeah, tell my target that. If you don’t have access to a 600y Range, or worse, you do but don’t bother to try, how would you ever know that? You couldn’t ask on the internet because a guy who shot to 300 once and sucked is going to tell you that 600 is a pipedream.

There’s gotta be guys in the shadows who don’t post and just want to learn. They don’t need to read a thread about a backup bolt cam pin to a backup bolt. They don’t need to know the latest attachment method, or why Daniel Defense laid off 100 people. They don’t need a new rifle and they aren’t trying to discuss gas port sizes. (Because they have Colts )

They just want to hit targets faster and more accurately and I hope they respond to this thread and get a good thing going. I want to know where I stand with drills like the MNQ.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It took me a while to figure out my gear set up, what worked and didn't for me. My AR's went through iteration after iteration. I got there in the end and I'm now completely comfortable with what I have and tend to spend 95% of my web time reading about shooting techniques and reloading better ammo.

I guess what I'm saying is it takes some longer to get there and for others the constant churn of buying and selling, rebuilding guns, upgrading is their fun. To your point, none of that will help their shooting skill.

I'm glad I didn't listen to the internet or I would have never gone 3 in a row at 870 with 12.5" gun the other week (admittedly it took me 8-10 rounds to get on target and it was a large target but I'll take that).

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The abundance of discussions like the one you mentioned are the very reason I made this thread. I am out shooting twice a week running drills for time and accuracy. I’m throwing out SBR shots at IPSC targets from 600 yards away with a red dot. It isn’t until I get on the internet that I find out that’s impossible and the 5.56 SBR is a 100 yard gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I'm glad I didn't listen to the internet or I would have never gone 3 in a row at 870 with 12.5" gun the other week (admittedly it took me 8-10 rounds to get on target and it was a large target but I'll take that).
    You guys...I can't fricking see the damn target at 600 yards! Young eyes!

I've been able to hit a 1/3 IPSC steel target at 300 with some regularity with a red dot, but man is it a struggle to see the target!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Did I miss out the part where I was using a 1-6x? Oops.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Did I miss out the part where I was using a 1-6x? Oops.
    Well, that does make it a little easier. I had a 5x on a rifle I was regularly shooting at 500 yards and that was a bit of struggle for me. Euro says he hitting from 600 with a RDS though, and it just floors me that he can frickin' see the target!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Well, that does make it a little easier. I had a 5x on a rifle I was regularly shooting at 500 yards and that was a bit of struggle for me. Euro says he hitting from 600 with a RDS though, and it just floors me that he can frickin' see the target!
    I have to ask - have you ever set a target out at 600 and seen for yourself if you can see it?

I have threads on here of results I have gotten shooting iron sights at 400 yards. I do feel fortunate to have young eyes, but I don't think they are really that hard to see. A 1/2 IPSC at 600 spray painted white against a green/brown berm is pretty easy to see. I find iron sights easier than red dots for that kind of shooting because you can adjust them. A dot you have to know your hold for elevation and wind - without tickmarks its not easy.

With iron sights you just dial appropriately, and focus on the front sight while the target is blurry. All you really need is enough vision to see a crisp front sight that's ~18" from your face. I have videos somewhere of me shooting long range with a RDS, but I feel like I remembered I had a Gopro and have been spamming the forum with videos so I'll refrain.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have to ask - have you ever set a target out at 600 and seen for yourself if you can see it?

I have threads on here of results I have gotten shooting iron sights at 400 yards. I do feel fortunate to have young eyes, but I don't think they are really that hard to see. A 1/2 IPSC at 600 spray painted white against a green/brown berm is pretty easy to see. I find iron sights easier than red dots for that kind of shooting because you can adjust them. A dot you have to know your hold for elevation and wind - without tickmarks its not easy.

With iron sights you just dial appropriately, and focus on the front sight while the target is blurry. All you really need is enough vision to see a crisp front sight that's ~18" from your face. I have videos somewhere of me shooting long range with a RDS, but I feel like I remembered I had a Gopro and have been spamming the forum with videos so I'll refrain.
    Not 600, but yes at 500 yards. 1/3 IPSC I can barely see without a scope. Now the 30" X 30' steel the range has set up on their long range I can see ok. I can hit that at 300 yards all day and 500 yards with some regularity out of an 11.5" with RDS. I remember your vid of you shooting the SBR with RDS at 600 yards. That's when I started shooting mine beyond 200 to see if I could hit anything.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Not 600, but yes at 500 yards. 1/3 IPSC I can barely see without a scope. Now the 30" X 30' steel the range has set up on their long range I can see ok. I can hit that at 300 yards all day and 500 yards with some regularity out of an 11.5" with RDS. I remember your vid of you shooting the SBR with RDS at 600 yards. That's when I started shooting mine beyond 200 to see if I could hit anything.
    !!! a 1/3 IPSC is tiny. No wonder you can't see it. If someone could hit that with anything less than a 10x optic, match ammo, and a stainless barrel at that range I would tip my hat. We are talking something that's 1 MOA wide and 1.8 MOA tall.

Even a 1/2 IPSC is significantly larger, but that is a stretch. A full size C Zone painted white with a dark background at 500/600 should be relatively easy to see, and not be an unrealistic goal to hit it.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast