Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .32 vs .380 FMJ Is there much of a difference?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

.32 vs .380 FMJ Is there much of a difference?

Specifically from 3-4 inch barrels.

The 73 gr .32's tend to tumble, the 95 gr .380's tend not too.

The hotter common loads for each get about 1000 fps.

I wonder which penetrates things/dogs/people more or if there is no appreciable difference?

I sure wish I had a piece of land to shoot miscellaneous stuff on!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I sure wish I had a piece of land to shoot miscellaneous stuff on!
    Boy, you and me both.

FWIW, Charles Askins didn't think there was enough difference between the two to go with the fewer rounds of the .380 back before hollow points were a thing. Even today, hollow points are iffy in those chamberings.

I don't think a person is going to know the difference between .32 and .380 ball. Terminal ballistics is a voodoo science at best (and so fun to debate!), and the difference between the two rounds is marginal - even the permanent crush cavity is in question due to the rounded bullet profile. I like my .380 PPk, but find the .32 PPk to be a much softer shooting pistol.

If it's an issue of pocket guns, I'd use whichever you find to be more reliable. Bigger is hard to argue with, but so is increased capacity. Pick which you prefer, then use it to back up a good 9mm.

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

I agree. The difference is slight.

Although many video's of others' testing has the .380 penetrating just a little more. But often staying nose-straight, too.

I guess it doesn't matter. I like .32 in blow-back guns a lot more.

I carry a Beretta Cheetah .32. It's a joy to shoot and very reliable. I considered getting a .380 barrel or another Cheetah. But not only are they expensive; I'd have to buy mags and ammo for it. I have so many calibers as it is I hate to have to stock yet another one.
    Oddly, though, the .380 holds more round than the .32. (13 instead of 12).

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would not trust either but if forced to carry either I would carry ball in a .380 given those two choices.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I would not trust either but if forced to carry either I would carry ball in a .380 given those two choices.
    I'd carry pepper spray instead of either of those.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    There are several quality 9mm pistols that are approximately the same size as the Beretta Cheetah. I haven't handed one, but the cheetah looks to be about as big (or bigger than) a G43, Sig P239, S&W shield, Khar pm9/mk9, Ruger LC9, and so on. Heck, it's not ~that~ much smaller than a G19 or SW M&P9c.

Is there a pressing physiological reason you've chosen .32 or .380?
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 11-11-17 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    C'mon, I know you, like me, don't trust any pistol bullet. Or anything else when it comes to a lethal encounter.

But yea, .380 ball would be best out a Beretta Cheetah. But dang, more mags and another caliber to stock...

.380 does knock steel down just a hair better.

I saw a new .380 Cheetah for $599 at a gun show recently. I knew I should have bought it. Can't find them at that price on the Web.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Personally the smallest I will go is a 5 shot J frame with +p 38 special such as the Speer 135 grain Gold dot. But I understand every ones needs are different. I use a Glock 43 as my deep concealment gun.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    I don't think there is much different in "stopping" vs "killing".

If the bullets don't hit the spine or brain, the BG doesn't have to stop immediate aggression unless they choose too. Doesn't matter whether it's 5 hits from a .25 or .45.

-I do agree that light bullets are more likely to veer off the intended path inside tissue
    -Bullets that penetrate more are more likely to strike the brain or spine should they be on that path
    -Bullets that penetrate more are more likely to penetrate cover for BG's and bystanders/folks downrange

I decided against the Cheetah .380 because I think it's barely any improvement over my beloved Cheetah .32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The ProFromDover on ballistics posted his recommendation that when using .380 for SD, stay away from hollow points.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast