Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .32 vs .380 FMJ Is there much of a difference?

Feedback Score
    I don't think there is much different in "stopping" vs "killing".

If the bullets don't hit the spine or brain, the BG doesn't have to stop immediate aggression unless they choose too. Doesn't matter whether it's 5 hits from a .25 or .45.

-I do agree that light bullets are more likely to veer off the intended path inside tissue
    -Bullets that penetrate more are more likely to strike the brain or spine should they be on that path
    -Bullets that penetrate more are more likely to penetrate cover for BG's and bystanders/folks downrange

I decided against the Cheetah .380 because I think it's barely any improvement over my beloved Cheetah .32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The ProFromDover on ballistics posted his recommendation that when using .380 for SD, stay away from hollow points.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I would not trust either but if forced to carry either I would carry ball in a .380 given those two choices.
    I'd carry pepper spray instead of either of those.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Ron3, what holster are you using with that Cheetah?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    There are several quality 9mm pistols that are approximately the same size as the Beretta Cheetah. I haven't handed one, but the cheetah looks to be about as big (or bigger than) a G43, Sig P239, S&W shield, Khar pm9/mk9, Ruger LC9, and so on. Heck, it's not ~that~ much smaller than a G19 or SW M&P9c.

Is there a pressing physiological reason you've chosen .32 or .380?
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 11-11-17 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Ron3, what holster are you using with that Cheetah?
    Black Arch hybrid ISWB with CompTac polymer belt clips.

I use Glock mag pouches. A few layers of black duct tape along one inner wall and the pouches will fit many types of mags. Custom fit.
    Last edited by Ron3; 11-12-17 at 10:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    There are several quality 9mm pistols that are approximately the same size as the Beretta Cheetah. I haven't handed one, but the cheetah looks to be about as big (or bigger than) a G43, Sig P239, S&W shield, Khar pm9/mk9, Ruger LC9, and so on. Heck, it's not ~that~ much smaller than a G19 or SW M&P9c.

Is there a pressing physiological reason you've chosen .32 or .380?
    It sits in the hand very close to a full-size gun. Quick to grip and draw, it handles fast. The portion that goes ISWB is compact and round making it comfortable. You could put it in a pocket if you had to. It has the extra safety of DA with the speed and accuracy of the SA trigger. The gun is accurate and reliable. Everything but the grip panels is metal. Magazines are tough and reliable and hold 12 rounds. They fly out when released and reloads are fast because of the single-feed design. Ammo is light, recoil low, the gun never gets very hot. I can work on the gun should I need to and parts are available.

I could go on but you get the idea. I really like the weapon.

Yes, caliber is a little on the weak side but both .32 and .380 seem to penetrate well enough in bare and clothed gelatin from what I've been able to find.

It would also be nice to have extended mags available. Like 15-20 rounders.

The slide Is a little on the small side so racking needs to be done a little differently but that's just training.

Sometimes I think about getting one in .380 but other double stack .380's I've fired recoil more closely to a 9mm. The .32 recoils like you'd expect a .32 to recoil. Oddly, the .380 Beretta is the one that holds one more round in the mag. It would also mean I'd have to buy more mags and stock yet another caliber. So I keep the .32 but sometimes I consider the .380.

One reason I chose the .32 over the .380 in the first place was for the lower recoil. (This a blowback weapon) But also because I already stocked .32 to feed my hungry Vz-61 Skorpion SA. That is a fun pistol.
    Last edited by Ron3; 11-12-17 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thanks, those holsters look pretty nice. I’ll have to look around for some reviews and maybe buy one.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm part of a ballistic gel demo twice a year (for the last almost 20 years). Since CorBon DPX came out in .380 we' e been testing it and it is impressive. CorBon is also making it in .32 ACP, I have a little but was not able to shoehorn it in to our testing. But given how well this style of bullet does in everything I've seen tested, I'll bet it's also impressive.

Here's an article I wrote in the September '15 SWAT Magazine about .380, 9mm Makarov, and a small sampling of pistols in those calibers. The basic tenet of the article being, if it's all you have, or you have someone who doesn't want a tiny, snappy pistol or a jumbo, heavier-recoiling pistol, how about a medium-sized one that holds a lot of BB's.

https://d2culxnxbccemt.cloudfront.ne...015_11_web.pdf

Feedback Score
    Thanks, good read.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast