Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: What replacement sights for Glock Gen 5?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    Am I correct in assuming this is the corresponding steel sight for the 6.1 polymer one currently on my 17.5 or are these designed for Gen 1-4? Someone earlier indicated the polymer Gen 5 6.1 notch was wider than the previous 6.1 sight.

https://store.teamglock.com/gun-part...ght-6-1mm.html

I enjoy the Glock sight picture and just want a steel set.
    This is a wrong assumption as the Gen5 Glocks come with its "GMS" rear sights. Currently, there is no metal-only GMS rear sight.

I recommend shooting the stock Gen5 sights to ensure the point-of-impacts are where you want them. A few of us with Gen5 Glocks have switched to the Gen1-Gen4 sight heights as the Gen5 models were hitting too low for us.

Feedback Score
    You know I though the rear sight on my 17.5 looked a little different (std. polymer). It is definitely wider and it has a "6.5" printed in the notch.

So if I wanted to put on Trijicon or factory GNS on would the regular ones for the gen 1-4 work?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mbinky View Post
    You know I though the rear sight on my 17.5 looked a little different (std. polymer). It is definitely wider and it has a "6.5" printed in the notch.

So if I wanted to put on Trijicon or factory GNS on would the regular ones for the gen 1-4 work?
    Here's some more info and some advice/recommendations.
    I just got back to this thread after looking at Glock's latest parts list. Glock now has its "GMS" rear sights offered as "night sight" versions.
    Attachment 53991
    I've not seen, ordered, or used these sights (yet). If they're metal, this could be what those who want a Glock GMS, aka Gen5, rear sight in metal. These come in 6.1, 6.5, 6.9, or 7.3mm heights and will then need to paired with a front sight of appropriate height (perhaps a metal night sight, too).

Glock's GMS front night sights come in two heights, 4.1 or 4.9mm. Before the GMS/Gen5 models came out, Glock's front sights only came in the 4.1mm height.

For me, my two Gen5 Glocks came with sights which hit lower than I'm accustomed. I was aware of Glock's changes in sight heights, and thought the new models somehow were hitting higher than the older Gen Glocks. All I know is that there are others besides me who were hitting too low with the sights Glock is putting on its Gen5 models. I (we) found the regular 4.1/6.5mm (front/rear) sights are hitting fine in my (our) Gen5 models.

This got a bit more complicated when I bought an Ameriglo-brand sight set, advertised for Gen5 models, with a .200" front and 6.9mm rear (sorry for the inches vs. mm lack of conversion) but I was able to use the front and rear using other spare sights I had in my parts box instead of just trying to return them.

Yet there are some folks who seem OK with the sight heights Glock is installing on its Gen5 guns. I really recommend confirming one's shooting with the provided sights to ensure ordering a set which is RIGHT FOR YOU. My Gen5 G17 and G19 came with the usual 4.1mm front but with 6.1mm GMS rear sights. Other folks have received Gen5 Glocks with 4.9mm front sights; and then there are the Ameriglo brand sights and I'm not aware of all Ameriglo sight height variations (yet).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Here's some more info and some advice/recommendations.
    I just got back to this thread after looking at Glock's latest parts list. Glock now has its "GMS" rear sights offered as "night sight" versions.
    Attachment 53991
    I've not seen, ordered, or used these sights (yet). If they're metal, this could be what those who want a Glock GMS, aka Gen5, rear sight in metal. These come in 6.1, 6.5, 6.9, or 7.3mm heights and will then need to paired with a front sight of appropriate height (perhaps a metal night sight, too).

Glock's GMS front night sights come in two heights, 4.1 or 4.9mm. Before the GMS/Gen5 models came out, Glock's front sights only came in the 4.1mm height.
    Thanks for the info. The GMS night sight does appear to be a tritium 3 dot setup. Not sure how long I can hold out waiting for metal GMS with the Glock sight picture. May have to just go with something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know why the sights for the gen 5 changed? Did the slide/bore height change or something or was it just the notch width?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbinky View Post
    Does anyone know why the sights for the gen 5 changed? Did the slide/bore height change or something or was it just the notch width?
    From what I understand, the improved lock-up has resulted in a POI shift trend in the Gen5 guns (I say trend, because I have seen factory Gen5 guns with factory-installed sights that are both the normal Gen4/3 height rear and Gen5 height sights).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the reply's guys. One last question if I may. How do you determine the front sight height of the factory plastic sights without measuring? My rear is clearly marked 6.5, and my front has one dot on the right side. Would this be a 4.1 or 4.9 front sight? Looking at GT Distributors website it lists two heights for the front gen 5 GMS night sight.

I prefer Glock factory NS and if I decide to add them I want to make sure I get the correct ones.

I will say I definitely prefer the sight picture with the wider rear notch on the factory plastics.

ETA: I measured my front sight and got 4.09mm (from top of sight to top of slide) with my digital caliper so I guess I need the 4.1mm GMS. My rear sight measured 6.49mm (marked 6.5) from top of sight to bottom of dovetail.
    Last edited by mbinky; 10-05-18 at 16:20.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is what I did, I called Ameriglo customer service. The tech guy was was very qualified, I gave him my wishes/ requirements. I wanted point of aim and point of impact dead on at 25 yards. Narrow front sight green tritium and subdued rear dual green tritium wide notch. I was set up with a custom set for $100 shipped.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    There are so many good choices out there. For me Ameriglo Hacks or Bold are my preference but I'm growing very fond of a fiber optic front with a Combat Precision rear (bottom pic). I have come to the conclusion though that for me I almost always start with the rear sight I want, install a plain blade front and then after shooting order a front sight that will give me the POA/POI I'm looking for. Some people aren't as picky so out of the box works. For me it doesn't.

Sights by Michael Starmer, on Flickr

Combat_Precision copy by Michael Starmer, on Flickr

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    While not shown above, Ameriglo Agents give a similar sight picture to Trijicon HDs.

Basically they are Ameriglo's Bold with a rear U-notch sight.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast