Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New S&W 3rd Gen Guns

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

New S&W 3rd Gen Guns

Do y’all see these as going up in value to the point a should keep them Unfired? I have a NIB 3953TSW and 4566 that I haven’t had the guts to run. What are your thoughts?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It depends.

If you really want to make money, sell them both and seriously invest that money. In 20 years you will have more money to a very high degree of confidence.

Otherwise shoot them.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Not really going up. In my area, the local stores and local online outdoors forum are good places to see what the going rates are on those guns. They are not jumping up in value like the pre hillary hole S&W wheel guns. 3rd gens autos are still very reasonable. I picked up a 3913 for $375 with 3 mags, good shooter and good carry piece.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    When the old geezers who like them things all get too old to shoot you're gonna have a hard time giving 'em away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    When the old geezers who like them things all get too old to shoot you're gonna have a hard time giving 'em away.
    Truth.
    I hang out on S&W forum where the 3G love is strong. It seems like the story for everyone praising them is from guys who thought the 686 was the pinnacle of gunfighting.

I got into LE when the old boat anchors were on the way out. I had one, hated the weight, lousy recoil and poor ergonomics. My 50-officer department with personally owned handguns went from being a 100% S&W operation to being 75% Glock in the course of two years.

I am amazed at the price points that the 3Gs are listed at - $350 and higher. Magazines are often an issue, as the supplies are drying up.

Feedback Score
    Guns are not good investments from a purely financial standpoint. The only possible outlier being machineguns.
    Inflation is 3% per year. Investments can be had for 8%.
    If it doesnt double in price in 10 years, its a poor investment, and you should shoot it till it falls apart or sell it and buy ammo to shoot something else till it falls apart.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-13-18 at 21:36.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I was big into PC SW 3rd Gen from 1998 to 2008.

I decided to get out of them as SW was reportedly no longer manufacturing parts and I was hard on them guns (parts breakage from heavy use)

I wish I would have kept the DPA5906.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Somebody, somewhere will want whatever S&W 3rd Gen your selling at the time. You may not get the exact amount you want but if your not losing money, it only occupied some space in the safe. Firearms are not a sound investment in general except for a very small niche i.e. CL3, etc. Or just shoot it and enjoy!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you want to keep them unfired then sell them. There is a market for new, unfired, in box with paperwork 3rd gens. It's a small market but there is one. Put them up on GunBroker. Otherwise they don't move all that well. One LGS here has a bunch of CS guns that have been sitting for months on end. Another store had a 3914NL on consignment for probably 4 years. The real collectables are are TSW pre rail, 4506 and anything 10mm. Otherwise...meh. last year I paid $250 for a 5906

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I wish I had my 1006 back, since 10mm started to take off again, right AFTER I sold it (2003).

THAT said, I wouldn't mind that 4566, if it has the Novak sights. What would you want for it, and how many mags do you have (never priced those mags - I gotta look into that...)?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast