Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&W 4006 .40S&W opinions??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    CHP found the factory straight backstrap (not the curved) grip worked best for the majority of shooters.
    I'll second that. The straight backstrap is the way to go on weapons like the 4506, 5906, and 4006.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, I finally took some pics. I also did some more shooting with it yesterday, and the accuracy went through the roof. Got a box of Rem. UMC 180gr. JHP's and some 165gr. Speer Gold Dots for HD. The 180's averaged around 2.75" @ 25 yds, and the 165 GD's posted an amazing 2.1" average out of three 5 shot groups. I am tickled pink.
    One thing I absolutely love about this pistol is the sights. The sights are the best handgun combat sights I have encountered, and mine have steel "ears" on each side of the rear adjustable sight for protection... the pics online I have seen on 4006's don't have these.. are those aftermarket?
    The weapon is a tad heavy, but that doesn't bother me. I like to feel the "heft"... the weapon feels so sturdy and tight that I feel I could throw it off of a building and pick it up and use it. That's a good feeling when a pistol inspired that kind of confidence. I am an "all-steel" kinda guy, and never really got onto the polymer "tupperware toy" bandwagon when they got popular, but my Beretta M9, and my 1911's just don't feel as "strong" as this little pig does.
    Also, does anyone know a good place to get some replacement grips? I will go with the straight backstrap, as you've all recommended. I prefer rubber or polymer grips, not wood. Whatever will thin this out a bit.
    Here's some pics,
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i..._747/SW001.jpg
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i..._747/SW002.jpg
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i..._747/SW003.jpg
    Also, I tried to take some pictures of those +P rounds I had, so you guys may ID them, but as you can tell, my camera is old, and isn't sharp enough to get a clear close-up. If anyone wants them to test, PM me.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    In the hands of a properly trained individual, there is nothing faster or safer than a SA pistol; SA/DA pistols are substantially slower and not any safer--in some ways, perhaps less safe.
    In the hands of a properly trained individual, there is no practical difference in speed between a street-appropriate SA and a street-appropriate DA/SA. After the first shot, both guns have close enough to the same trigger weight and reset distance (varies by model, of course) to be essentially the same. For the first shot, the DA pull is definitely longer and heavier, but that does not make it slower. Properly executed, the first shot trigger pull on any handgun is begun as the pistol moves to extension in line with the target, so only the last bit of weight/movement need by applied when the shot is ready to be broken.

Fear Not, the Double Action Shot by Ernest Langdon is great reading on the subject.

Where the SA guns have an advantage is that they're more forgiving of mistakes and don't require as much hand strength.
    Last edited by ToddG; 10-13-08 at 20:39. Reason: Elucidation

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    In the hands of a properly trained individual, there is no practical difference in speed between a street-appropriate SA and a street-appropriate DA/SA. After the first shot, both guns have close enough to the same trigger weight and reset distance (varies by model, of course) to be essentially the same. For the first shot, the DA pull is definitely longer and heavier, but that does not make it slower. Properly executed, the first shot trigger pull on any handgun is begun as the pistol moves to extension in line with the target, so only the last bit of weight/movement need by applied when the shot is ready to be broken.
    100% agree. Just two words.........Ernest Langdon !
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The 4006 is decent.

My dealer sells the used ones at $320,

I got one but all I could get it to do was jam,

YMMV

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123