Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Hold Your Rifle? Recoil Management

Feedback Score

How Do You Hold Your Rifle? Recoil Management

I have been shooting for less than 2 years, no previous experience. I have a carbine length AR with a vertical post. What concerns me is recoil management. I have discovered how bad I am. In looking at videos of rock solid shooters, they seem to prefer the C-grip. Some utilize a vertical grip partway, choke up on it, and wrap the thumb over. There seem to be three or four styles, magazine grip, standard (hand under hand guard), vertical post grip, and C-grip either with a vertical post or without.

I have a muzzle break and a USGI sling but maybe those are separate issues.

What type of grip do you use for recoil management?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hold your rifle tight into your shoulder, use a proper cheek weld. Use your support hand and pull the rifle into your shoulder.

Forget about C-clamping, that is just a bunch of dumb youtube operator crap. It won't help you anymore than actually gripping your rifle properly.

Try shooting some actual large caliber rifles, 308, 30-06, then you will understand how to mitigate recoil and hold a rifle for recoil management. Once you shoot a 223 after the 223 will feel like a bb gun in regards to recoil. Forget about fancy muzzle brakes, and forget about how youtube operators c-clamp their guns, just grip your rifle comfortably and firmly, and find what works for you.

In regards to ''tactical operator crap''
    If you are right handed, try to tuck in your right elbow so it doesn't stick out like a chicken wing, and vice versa if you are left handed. That way you make yourself a smaller target.

Also, square up your feet about shoulder width apart. Lean forward or center yourself, try not to lean back because guys that lean back while holding rifles and pistols look like chicks that don't know how to shoot ( and also makes for very poor recoil management ).

No offense to anyone, hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I shoot "C clamp" grip with a KAG handstop.
    It works well.

I'll add, the scenario dictates shooting style.
    Barricade shooting negates use of C clamp as example.
    Last edited by gaijin; 10-23-17 at 20:10.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Wrong. WRONG.

The intent is to support the weight with your skeletal structure and not to muscle the thing.

I hate the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    That way you make yourself a smaller target.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Wrong. WRONG.

The intent is to support the weight with your skeletal structure and not to muscle the thing.

I hate the internet.
    Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Also, the entire purpose of using an isoceles stance and keeping the rifle tucked down in front of meat is to counter rotational torque on subsequent strings.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I have been shooting for less than 2 years, no previous experience. I have a carbine length AR with a vertical post. What concerns me is recoil management. I have discovered how bad I am. In looking at videos of rock solid shooters, they seem to prefer the C-grip. Some utilize a vertical grip partway, choke up on it, and wrap the thumb over. There seem to be three or four styles, magazine grip, standard (hand under hand guard), vertical post grip, and C-grip either with a vertical post or without.

I have a muzzle break and a USGI sling but maybe those are separate issues.

What type of grip do you use for recoil management?
    You’re having issues controlling recoil with a 5.56 rifle that has a muzzle brake? Lawd have mercy.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Best+modern+AR+15+shooting+grip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Also, the entire purpose of using an isoceles stance and keeping the rifle tucked down in front of meat is to counter rotational torque on subsequent strings.
    Lol. All I was told during training numerous times was to use the isosceles stance was because that way if we got shot we would be utilizing the most space of our body armor, and they discouraged the weaver stance because it opens up your armpit where the armor doesn't cover. Hopefully that makes sense, just repeating what I was told to do. Thanks for the technical data points, news to me
    I am not saying Isosceles or weaver is better, just repeating what I was told to do.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn’t say it’s the “entire” purpose. It’s probably top of the list. Keeping any unwanted holes going front to back instead of side to side is a pretty good reason to me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    Forget about C-clamping, that is just a bunch of dumb youtube operator crap. It won't help you anymore than actually gripping your rifle properly.

Forget about fancy muzzle brakes, and forget about how youtube operators c-clamp their guns, just grip your rifle comfortably and firmly, and find what works for you.

In regards to ''tactical operator crap''
    Bold statements, which are at odds with some significant trainers and institutions.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast