Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have hands on radical firearms Big bore uppers? (450 bushmaster)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Anybody have hands on radical firearms Big bore uppers? (450 bushmaster)

Been think about building a straight wall upper for a number of years to Deer hunt with here in Ohio and pulled a impulse buy on a radical firearms 450 bushmaster upper. I have ready in depth with issues with radical firearms over the years but I could not pass up the price (398$ shipped) for complete upper assembly. Looking to see if anybody has any hands on experience (save the “get what you pay for” stuff please) this is going to be a strictly hunting upper and will see at most 20 rounds a year. I’m hoping for decent reliability and accuracy. Thankyou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It appears I’ll be doing the beta testing for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ISiman/oh View Post
    It appears I’ll be doing the beta testing for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never heard any feedback on that upper. You will be making a valuable contribution to science for our community haha

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well here is my mini review after 55rds.

The upper came in and all fit and finish seemed decent. After assembling in my Varmint lower the problems started. The gun would not feed rounds and would not lock back in the the last round. It appeared the gun was short stroking and sometimes not even ejecting the spent brass at all. I tried various things including polishing he chamber, checking gas rings, gas port alignment etc. Nothing seemed to cure the issues so I took a closer look at the gas port, it measured only 0.070 so I decided to open it up a touch. My reading on some 450 bushmaster forums showed that most midlength 16 inch uppers required a gas port up to 0.10 so I started at 0.90 and it seemed to fix all the issues. It has ran all 40 rounds following that fix without issue. During the first trial and error period I through the bolt in my nickle boron carrier to try and help out and decided to leave it as the reviews on Radicals carriers are less then ideal.

I sighted in my nikon 3-9x and all seemed well with this two groups hovering around an inch at 100 yards.

All shooting was with Hornady black 250gr Ftx

Recoil was about the level of a 20ga slug and the blast is impressive. I’m hoping to get a lot of use out of this upper for deer hunting in the upcoming years.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    That should be a short(ish) range thumper.
    It'd be fun to throw a RD/LPV on it and hunt hugs through the Cedar thickets.
    Your "hog stopping rifle".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    That should be a short(ish) range thumper.
    It'd be fun to throw a RD/LPV on it and hunt hugs through the Cedar thickets.
    Your "hog stopping rifle".
    Here in Ohio this is about as “long range” of a Deer rifle you can use. We are limited to straight wall calibers, muzzleloaders and slug guns. Where I hunt most shots will be way under 100 yards but there is a few larger fields that I might be able to reach 200.

I’m going to be taking the rifle out to my buddies farm in the next few weeks and stretching the legs next to his Ruger American in 450. He’s convinced he’ll be able to keep it in a 12 inch gong at 300. I’m not so sure but I’m gonna give it a try.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The 12" @ 300 should be no problem at all- if you're getting just over MOA @ 100.
    Just need to know your drop.
    Chrono your load, find BC and weight of your bullet and look up trajectory.
    A big ass backer helps til you figure your dope.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Little update: I finally received some more ammo in the mail to do some more shooting.

Surfing around eBay I found a new in package nikon prostaff 5 2.5-10x40 for a price I couldn’t pass up. I’ll throw it in a Areo mount and call it a day.

It so happens with my load and that scope according to nikons ballistics app the BDC circles in the scope should align perfectly for a 100 yard zero like this:

I will have to verify this with some range time but it will be pretty cool to have the BDC align roughly with 150,200,250,300, and 350 yards. Even though for the most part my shots on Deer will be under 150 yards.

I will update again after another range trip.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

New scope is installed and a rough 25 yards zero achieved in the back yard. I’ll be shooting for some groups tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    Glad to see someone here being a tester and that round. I was going for a 450 BM as a heavy short range round, I am interested in it but ammo available and have been sidetracked from it to 50 AA due to conversation I had with Bill Alexander. But still interested as a second choice.
    NRA Life Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast