Thread: For u techies

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

For u techies

Old friend must have been sitting with a bottle of Jack reading about Quantum Computing and how a qubit can be on & off at the same time. Still feeling the impact of the Jack, he called and asked me what I know about qubits.

Laughing, I said Physics is beyond this oldMan, thought I do know Jack.

Interesting question, how is that possible?
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 10-29-17 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    well, ON and OFF doesn't make sense considering we are using (0) and (1) but I see the analogy, a qubit is 2 scale quantum mechanical system and there are only 2 states, vertical and horizontal. In theory, quantum mechanics does allow the qubit to be in a superposition of both states at the same time , I think its called a line combination or a pure combination, but that is only on paper. In reality, you cant turn a light switch in the on and off position at the same time. He may have been thinking of a ancila bit or something like that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    well, ON and OFF doesn't make sense considering we are using (0) and (1) but I see the analogy, a qubit is 2 scale quantum mechanical system and there are only 2 states, vertical and horizontal. In theory, quantum mechanics does allow the qubit to be in a superposition of both states at the same time , I think its called a line combination or a pure combination, but that is only on paper. In reality, you cant turn a light switch in the on and off position at the same time. He may have been thinking of a ancila bit or something like that.
    I knew in his state, he was referencing bits (0) & (1). Just googled Quantum Computing:
    A quantum computer works in a totally different way from a classical computer. Quantum bits or 'qubits' can exist in a superposition state of both zero and one simultaneously. ... So the amount of information stored in N qubits is two to the power of N classical bits.
    The above (of course in my mind) both can occur within a qubits. Very confusing.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Its very confusing, quantum mechanics/physics is the study of the hypothetical solutions, sub atomic characteristics and mathematics that deal with space/time/mass/energy. Usually the men/women who are involved with this stuff have PhD's behind there name and work for NASA, MIT, Johns Hopkins School of Applied Physics and Caltech.

In theory, super computing is only as "super" as the amount of data that was inputted.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Generally speaking, when you're comparing a quantum system vs a traditional system you're dealing with a reciprocal of a bit.

So, if you think of the standard 1-on 0-off, a qubit, can actually be both.

You get into the weird shit like entanglement when you start getting deep into this. So, for instance, if I separate two particles and measure the rotational "spin" of one particle at say, 60-degrees, I know that its entangled counterpart has a spin of 240-degrees.

Applied to computers, you have far more complexity to work with as opposed to just on and off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    thanks men, forward your replies on to friend.

As I told him, I know Jack and will stick with Jack

Again thanks

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The question of qubits is an old one....

<looks left, looks right>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMH_uVu2Acs
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard