Thread: Barrel Bore Defect?

Feedback Score

Barrel Bore Defect?

I bought a new barrel for an AR15, and it appears to either have pits or scratches in the bore, about 3/16" in from the muzzle. I would not expect that to be normal. This rifle was built for maximum accuracy. Are such pits or scratches normal for a new barrel and will it affect accuracy? I am asking Krieger for their opinion.

Pic below...not very good, but hard to get a good photo. A Q-Tip will not snag, but if you run a small plastic tube from a Brake-Cleen container across it, you can feel roughness.

Phil
    Last edited by Phil3; 09-08-09 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    contact whoever you bought it from- that should not be.

how's it shoot?

Feedback Score
    Dang Phil3, you hit every forum with this one.....

I would be concerned about the barrel.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I did hit many forums, because I want feedback asap so I can know what is normal for barrels when the manufacturer responds. Also, I have had setback after setback, and I want to get this thing done. I have had a defective trigger and lower receiver, that have caused delays. And this barrel already went back once for scratches on the outside, and one gouge near the gas block (Krieger fixed). Can't believe they sent it back to me like this.

I used a magnifying glass I found and see more what that mark is. It is a series of many small and up and down scratches running perpendicular to the long axis of the barrel.

- Phil
    Last edited by Phil3; 09-08-09 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    According to Krieger, the marks (scratches) are from a crowning tool, will disappear during barrel break in, and should not affect performance. They asked me to report back with any performance problems.

- Phil

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is why it is best to contact the manufacturer before posting threads about a "problem". That is considered proper form for this forum.

Feedback Score
    I understand, but please note I did title this thread as "Barrel Bore Defect?", with intentional use of a question mark, and also wrote in the body of the message, "...Are such pits or scratches normal for a new barrel and will it affect accuracy?...". I wanted to hear what others had to say, regardless of what the manufacturer may say. I did not accuse the maker of a defect, I was asking others IF they thought there was a problem.

I did not have to mention the barrel maker's name up front, but would have still reported on this issue after I spoke to the maker today. From feedback I have gotten on another forum, it is apparent many are shocked at what I learned and that the scratches, if minor, are considered OK.

Everyone should know Krieger was responsive, treated me well, spoke at length, and answered all questions.

To your point, I probably could have done this better, and will do so in alignment with the practices of this forum. I wrote the post with some annoyance emotion...not a good thing at any time.

- Phil
    Last edited by Phil3; 09-09-09 at 17:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I feel for you, I don't want to come across as picking on you. You seem like a pretty switched on guy with a good head on your shoulders and I want you to get along well with the mods and SME's here that answer questions like your over and over again.
    This board has been the single greatest source of practical info re: ARs I've found to date. One of the great things about this forum is relatively low signal to noise ratio which is maintained by adhering to recommended forum etiquette. If I were in your shoes, I would be well heated about defects on a new barrel, especially after it has been worked on or replaced once already. My only criticism is not giving the manufacturer more time to respond before posting here. I'm glad Krieger continues to do the right thing. Shoot the shit out of that gun!

Feedback Score
    At first I thought you were trying to nitpick me, but I quickly saw that was not the intent...and I appreciate the note. It is true, the signal to noise ratio is low here , and would not, in any way, want to negatively impact that.

I still wish the barrel did not have the marks, but it appears to me that if one wants a truly perfect barrel, you have to get one from a custom maker, such as ones that use a Krieger blank.

I am installing a Geissele trigger tonight, and then have to do the rest of LPK, scope alignment and lapping, and a few other things, and then will see how it does. Per Krieger's request, I will let them know whether that it shoots good or not so good. They know of the other parts in the gun and feel it should shoot at least 1/2 MOA. I hope so.

Be assured, I will give manufacturers a fair chance to rectify problems and report the whole story here if it is of value to this forum.

- Phil
    Last edited by Phil3; 09-09-09 at 18:27.

Feedback Score
    UPDATE: Once I learned that a crowning tool could have marked the barrel, as shown, I looked at the barrel more closely and noticed the mark is in the groove. Seems to me that any tool, such as a pilot, would rest on the lands, not the groove. I contacted Krieger and told them to look at another photo I sent, and they would see the mark is in the groove. They agreed, it IS in the groove, and that should not be, and could not explain how that could happen. They asked for the barrel back, and said they would commence producing a new barrel for me.

- Phil