Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Vickers and the Centurion Arms SPR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Larry Vickers and the Centurion Arms SPR

Larry asked me to start this thread and post his opinion of the Centurion Arms SPR that was provided to him by Monte LeClair.

I took some photos of this particular rifle at the 11-13 July 08 3 Day Advanced Pistol/Carbine class that Larry taught in South Hill Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A. Vickers
    Gents

I am proud to announce my buddy Monte LeClair of Centurion Arms is ready to accept orders for SPR (special purpose rifle and/or receiver) uppers - attached to this post are pics of the SPR that Monte sent me for T&E and that I had at a recent South Hill, VA class.

The reason you should buy your SPR from Monte over anyone else are;

1) He is active duty Spec Ops who has used the SPR overseas in theatre

2) He has sourced all the parts and builds an exact MILSPEC replica to the issued SPR - unlike most others offering them

3) He has detailed knowledge of how it is employed and how it is built so he can help a customer get the most out of his SPR

4) He is a very knowledgable gun guy, one of the very best on active duty today, and this knowledge and expertise goes into his builds

This the same situation as when I was building custom 1911's while on active duty and using a 1911 myself - that invaluable experience went into each gun making them very unique. And as a final endorsement of Mony's work I have one of his SPR uppers myself for my collection and training use.

Last but not least Monty also offers uppers that are built on what he considers to be the best available components based on his personal experience.

If you are interested do not wait - contact him at www.centurionarms.com and get on the list - remember he is active duty and he does this as a hobby so he will get a sizable backlog fast.

Regards

LAV

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Last edited by TOrrock; 10-10-08 at 08:07.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    just curious if the builder sees the ARMS mounts as GTG as there had been so much talk on TOS that there were now some much better options that were more durable (i.e. Larue).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by adh View Post
    just curious if the builder sees the ARMS mounts as GTG as there had been so much talk on TOS that there were now some much better options that were more durable (i.e. Larue).
    I'm not a fan of the ARMS rings though I did not have a problem with mine but I never used the "QD" capacity I really see no need on a rifle like this except if the scope fails and need to get to your BUIS. The latest rifles actually do not have QD rings they use standard night force scope rings.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMGLee View Post
    Monty will build any set up you want to use, besides, you would most likely buy just the upper assembly, the optic is usually buyer's option.
    I assumed as much, like I said just curious about the opinion on the ARMS QD rings because I have a set that have been sitting in the safe for well over a year

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I'm not a fan of the ARMS rings though I did not have a problem with mine but I never used the "QD" capacity I really see no need on a rifle like this except if the scope fails and need to get to your BUIS. The latest rifles actually do not have QD rings they use standard night force scope rings.
    Good point...and regarding the use of standard rings, this is the fist I heard that...interesting.

Feedback Score
    Thanx Tim for posting this for me - next let me add a couple thoughts to this discussion;

Everyone please understand that the Mk12 SPR as we know it today was originally designed years ago and by current standards some of the components and modfications are not state of the art - such as the set screw gas block. Manty is truly an SME on the SPR and knows the gun inside and out - he can build you a completely authentic as issued SPR or one that features upgrades in build specs as well as parts used - for my collection I wanted one that was to MILSPEC and that is what I got.

In addition Monty has sourced parts that are extremely difficult to get in order to build an exact replica - the barrel for instance is only available to Crane and to Monty ; you can get a barrel that looks the same in contour but to get the exact same barrel as the Mk12 has you have to get it from Monty - that is one of the reasons why it took him so long to come to market with this - he wanted to make sure he had his parts sourced out completely

The Mk12 SPR is an historically significant rifle as it is the FIRST custom built AR style weapon that is issued to the US Military - and specifically SOCOM (the US Army's DMR would be the other ). That reason alone makes it worth having but getting one from an end user that has used SPR's in the field is icing on the cake.

Hope this helps - I will say it again ; if you want one don't wait as the list will not get shorter

be safe

LAV

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well I guess I have found my Christmas present to myself.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    the barrel for instance is only available to Crane and to Monty ; you can get a barrel that looks the same in contour but to get the exact same barrel as the Mk12 has you have to get it from Monty
    Would this be the CLE SPR barrel by frank white?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FR0GMAN View Post
    Would this be the CLE SPR barrel by frank white?
    NO. This is a Douglas barrel by someone who doesn't wish to be named as the MK12 barrel "guy." I don't think it is a huge secret but he just doesn't want the "notoriety" and offers it only to ONE SOF member outside of the Crane Supply.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adh View Post
    FWIW my unit deployed with the Larue SPR mounts on our issued MK12's last go around, as well as a lot of other Larue products provided to us by one of the industries biggest Patriots- Mr. Mark Larue himself.

Feedback Score
    pinned gas block ?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast