Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Vickers and the Centurion Arms SPR

Feedback Score
    As soon as I can get out probably this weekend Ill definitely put it through its paces, hell ill even put a 3-round group up to see how accurate it is lol.

Feedback Score
    I purchased two barrels from Monty.
    I went ahead and built a MOD 0 and a MOD 1.
    Due to the hideous expense of the OPS 12 Model brake and collar, I was only able to mount that on the 0 series. I went with a standard OPS Brake, and thats not cheap either.
    No suppressor for me in this State I am in. I envy those who can personally own them.

I researched on the web for as much info I could find on the Black Hills MK262 ammo. I had purchased 500 bullets of the Sierra 77 SMK cannalure (sp?). It seems reloaders are having a hard time matching the velocity figures Black Hills is getting with the un-obtainable powder they use. (This was what I found out in a rather limited search on the topic posted several years ago)
    I went with Varget, mixed head stamp brass, and Federal primers. Bullets OAL was 2.260.
    I tried 23.5, 23.8, 24.0, 24.1, 24.2 grain weights. I have not chronoed this yet, as I wanted just to see what accuracy would be like.

What was interesting, was on Sunday I shot both rifles side by side, with the same cleaning style.
    I cleaned after every round up to five, then cleaned after five rounds, then finally after 10 rounds.
    I ran a B&L 4200 6-24 on the MOD 0 as I havent purchased the Leupold and the ARMs rings as of yet.
    6.5-20 Leupold on the MOD 1.

The first group on Targets 1 and 3 were sighters with Remington 55 grain FMJ. The next five groups on both rows were with the reloads. They are shot in order of increasing powder values.

Targets 1-2 are the MOD 0 build. On those targets, 5-6 shots see my final correction for POI.

Targets 3-4 series, or bottom row are the MOD 1.
    I was surprised by the difference in accuracy with both barrels. This could be due to my use of the PRI with back up Irons on the MOD 0, and the low profile PRI gas block on the MOD 1.
    I also didnt notice any real recoil difference with either brake.
    I havent ruled out the gas block as of yet, and need further testing.

The target below reflects what I did yesterday with the MOD 1. I narrowed down my ammo, and attempted to test 3 different loadings.
    23.5, 24.0, and 24.2.
    The wind kicked up in a big way on group 3, and I quickly ended my testing.

Group B, reflects 10 rounds of the 24.0 Varget loading.
    Group C reflects wind kick up, as the 24.2 Grains shot pretty well on Sunday. The two rounds out of there are almost certainly shooter induced issues..(I am no bench rest shooter)

I see the potential for excellence for the MOD 1 barrel. I am greatly encouraged by it accuracy. I havent even tried BL(C) or a couple other powder configs.
    I will continue to experiment with the MOD 0.

What I can say, is that I am incredibly thanful to Monty and Centurion Arms for the incredible barrels.
    I cant say enough about the overall finish, and incredible history for this series of barrels.
    I love the fact I have barrels available only to Monty, outside of the Military. I am additionally thankful for the forum here in introducing me to Monty. Without the forum here, I may have never heard of Monty.

Testing will continue.

Feedback Score
    Thankyou MATT P for this very helpful post. I received a complete MOD12 MKI upper from CenturionArms/Monty a week or so ago. I couldn't be more happy with the workmanship! I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet. I have everyhting including the OPS 12th model silencer, KAC lower with the KAC 2-stage trigger, KAC bipod adapter with the correct Harris BRM S bipod and KMW Pod-Loc.

I'm missing two things, the optic and the ammunition. I called Black Hills this morning and ordered a thousand rounds of 77gr Sierra MK, only one problem, I will not receive it for over 12 months from now. If I can find some smaller quantity in the meantime I'll be able to put my new upper through its paces.

The other issue is the optic. I have researched this and a Leupold or the newer Nightforce scopes are available but I would prefer to put an S&B on this rifle. I am in the process of trying to identify the best S&B scope that is the equivalent of the previously mentioned "official" scopes. Working on that right now. (If anyone can make a suggestion on this I would really appreciate the help.)

Again, thanks for the extremely helpful post.

"Wagner'

Whitehall, PA

Feedback Score
    No problem Wagner.
    I should have mentioned I shot 5 rd groups, except for the one 10 round.

I dont represent my handloads as the extreme to which one can go through in preperation of handloaded ammunition.
    I didnt deburr flash holes, no set the seating depth of the primers. Nor were the cases trimmed.
    All powder was thrown with a RCBS auto powder. So, I know the powder charge was as accurate as I could get.
    I may take some new brass, and prep it properly to see if any change would be present.

The barrels will shoot as well as you can for sure. Excellent quality.

Feedback Score
    Wagner, I didn't realize Black Hills would sell MK262 to the public, are these seconds?

My other question is, since I have been considering reloading is why is the powder that Black Hills uses unobtainable? I mean they get it from somewhere. With all of the people interested in loading MK262, couldn't we just find out who is supplying what to Black Hills and facilitate a group purchase to meet their minimum order quantity? Or is it simply that there is no more of the powder available due to attempting to fill military orders?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic4450 View Post
    Wagner, I didn't realize Black Hills would sell MK262 to the public, are these seconds?

My other question is, since I have been considering reloading is why is the powder that Black Hills uses unobtainable? I mean they get it from somewhere. With all of the people interested in loading MK262, couldn't we just find out who is supplying what to Black Hills and facilitate a group purchase to meet their minimum order quantity? Or is it simply that there is no more of the powder available due to attempting to fill military orders?
    I ordered the 77gr. sierra MatchKing, new factory ammo as described on their website. This same cartridge is also available from Black Hills as "Remanufactured" which means it is loaded with once fired brass. It is not the MK262 but I figured it would be as close as us civilians can get. I have no idea what powder they use and like you I would really like to know.

Black Hills also offers this cartridge in a Moly Coat. Is the MK262 cartridge Moly Coat or not?

Feedback Score
    Someone could certainly correct me if I am wrong, but it was my understanding that the powder that the ammo manufactures use is rather closely guarded.
    They as practice do not divulge what specs. on the powder that they use.
    Further, there would be no way to purchase what Black Hills uses, as the manufacture would not sell you the same series that BH uses.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Fantastic shots - thanks for putting those up.
    Monty does some fantastic work!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Fantastic shots - thanks for putting those up.
    Monty does some fantastic work!
    +1. very helpful, Great job SMGLee! I would love to know what coating Crane used to refinish that Hydra-Matic lower?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Does anyone know if there is a phone number? I have emailed them twice in the last month and no reply.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast