Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Vickers and the Centurion Arms SPR

Feedback Score
    Has anyone gotten a MK12 barrel from Monty lately? I have not heard anything for awhile.

Feedback Score
    I've been on the waiting list for a Mark 12 upper since April. Monty let me know that some parts are still coming in, and it should be ready beginning of November.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Has anyone gotten a MK12 barrel from Monty lately? I have not heard anything for awhile.
    About 6 weeks ago I had exchanged emails with Monty to get a barrel. He said he was expecting some in. After being on his waiting list for a week, I found a Douglas barrel elsewhere and thus cancelled my order from Monty.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    I had an email exchange with Monty the other day. I ended up putting myself on the back order list for a barrel. He didn't give an ETA. Worth the wait, though!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I exchanged some emails with Monty and he said it would be a few months wait on the mk12 barrel. Let the waiting begin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am getting ready to put a batch out now so if your on the list already you maybe getting it soon if you are ordering now it will take me a few months to get the next batch of barrels.

Thanks
    Monty

Feedback Score
    Damn these look great, and here I thought I didnt want an SPR anymore. Small world I used to live down the street next to the Crown Inn & Bistro.

Feedback Score

Lighter Rounds

What kind of groups with lighter (55 grain ball) rounds?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It all depends on the ammo and the quality of the bullets. The chamber is set up for the Sierra Match King ogive and the lightest MK bullet in 5.56 is the 69gr. Now, that is not to say that your 55gr won't shoot sub-MOA, it's just not optimized for it. Odds are, if it's quality ammo, it will run well through the upper and shoot sub-MOA. The fact that the upper has a 1/7 twist is also not an issue. I've heard lots of people say it "over-stabilizes" the bullet, but I've yet to see a bullet be "too stable". The issue would be that spinning a bullet faster could cause more "wobble" due to any minute differences in copper jacket thickness. This is why it goes back to the quality of the bullet itself since when using a quality bullet this is just a phenomena we don't see especially at the effective ranges this weapon is used at. There is absolutely no downside to having a 1/7 twist barrel on 5.56 platform. It is simply the most versatile twist rate to have and allows you to shoot all available ammo with the overall best results.

Currently, there is a lot of research and work being done in the long range field of shooting that is using faster twist rates than recommended for the bullets they are using and they are not seeing any degradation in accuracy. We are coming to the conclusion that the greenhill formula is a bit dated to an era where the bullet construction was not what it is today. There are guys shooting amazing groups out to 1500-1600 yards with barrels that have way too fast of a twist rate according to greenhill.

Thanks
    Monty
    Last edited by grinch; 01-09-10 at 12:26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    It all depends on the ammo and the quality of the bullets. The chamber is set up for the Sierra Match King ogive and the lightest MK bullet in 5.56 is the 69gr. Now, that is not to say that your 55gr won't shoot sub-MOA, it's just not optimized for it. Odds are, if it's quality ammo, it will run well through the upper and shoot sub-MOA. The fact that the upper has a 1/7 twist is also not an issue. I've heard lots of people say it "over-stabilizes" the bullet, but I've yet to see a bullet be "too stable". The issue would be that spinning a bullet faster could cause more "wobble" due to any minute differences in copper jacket thickness. This is why it goes back to the quality of the bullet itself since when using a quality bullet this is just a phenomena we don't see especially at the effective ranges this weapon is used at. There is absolutely no downside to having a 1/7 twist barrel on 5.56 platform. It is simply the most versatile twist rate to have and allows you to shoot all available ammo with the overall best results.

Currently, there is a lot of research and work being done in the long range field of shooting that is using faster twist rates than recommended for the bullets they are using and they are not seeing any degradation in accuracy. We are coming to the conclusion that the greenhill formula is a bit dated to an era where the bullet construction was not what it is today. There are guys shooting amazing groups out to 1500-1600 yards with barrels that have way too fast of a twist rate according to greenhill.

Thanks
    Monty
    Great info.

Thanks
    Last edited by sjopling; 01-09-10 at 14:58.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast