Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My first AR pistol build. Any suggestion or comments appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    Aero works fine, but not top of the line and closer to budget a part. Why wouldn't you want a Knights lower? I would also recommend skipping the SSA-E and using an SSA unless you plan to do some precision shooting with your pistol?

And I'm not sure adding an factory built complete upper to a lower you assemble qualifies as a "build"?
    I think mega would fine, no? Mentioned above by someone

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Great build list. My preference is also forged Mega Gator lowers and the SDC/SSA for non long range ARs. And the SOB brace just looks best of all the braces IMO.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sob/
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavygunner8 View Post
    I think mega would fine, no? Mentioned above by someone
    I only asked since your using a knights complete upper, that having a knights lower would make it more of a clone instead of a frankengun.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    I would agree that if you're going with a KAC upper to find a stripped KAC lower. It would be cool and also when you think about your overall budget, spending a little more on a matching lower is minimal. I was leaning that way in the beginning, but also don't think there's anything wrong with frankenbuilds, they're my preference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    Great build list. My preference is also forged Mega Gator lowers and the SDC/SSA for non long range ARs. And the SOB brace just looks best of all the braces IMO.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sob/
    What makes it better than say SBM4? Will any of these braces start to rotate after a long firing session?

Feedback Score
    Aero works fine, but not top of the line and closer to budget a part. Why wouldn't you want a Knights lower? I would also recommend skipping the SSA-E and using an SSA unless you plan to do some precision shooting with your pistol?

Also I didn't see an end plate in your parts list, you might want a QD end plate of some sort. The BCM LPK doesn't come with one and I didn't see it mentioned when I looked up the VLTOR pistol tube kit.
    I've used the BCM and Noveske QD end plates and their pretty much the same.

My pistol also has the BCM LPK, great kit and everything fits and works the first time. I also have the SBM4, works and looks great but in warmer weather it softens up and moves a slight amount.

300 1 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
    300 2 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
    Hey, i didnt see the rest of your post this morning, but i bought the vltor a5 here: https://www.opticsplanet.com/vltor-a5-pistol-kit.html

It says in the description that it does come with the lock nut and lock plate, which I assume is the same thing as castle nut and end plate. I'll look into the SOB brace instead.

I understand a KAC lower is desirable, however I don't see the benefit of it vs a MEGA. It costs twice as much, and it's difficult.
    Last edited by heavygunner8; 11-05-17 at 11:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey, i didnt see the rest of your post this morning, but i bought the vltor a5 here: https://www.opticsplanet.com/vltor-a5-pistol-kit.html

It says in the description that it does come with the lock nut and lock plate, which I assume is the same thing as castle nut and end plate. I'll look into the SOB brace instead.

I understand a KAC lower is desirable, however I don't see the benefit of it vs a MEGA. It costs twice as much, and it's difficult.
    Zero mechanical benefit from the KAC and the mega lower, just a visual detail. I don't think there would be much of a difference from the mega and aero you where looking at either, but you had mentioned wanting this build to be top of the line.

If you were showing my your build at the range and I saw an expensive KAC upper and mid grade mega lower It wouldn't have as much of the Wow factor as it would if you spent the extra 60-80 for a matching Kac lower. It would look like it was a factory Knights rifle.

It's your weapon and you know your budget, any three of the lowers will work fine. Worse case if down the road you decide you would have preferred to use the matching lower you can always get one and use the non-KAC lower on another build.

As far as the end plate, I didn't see it being mentioned that it was a QD(quick detach) style. I'm not sure I would try to mount a sling on the SBM4 since it could move, so if your a sling guy having a QD end plate might be something you want before you stake your castle nut.

Being new to building myself I have missed that part during a build and had to run into town to grab one before I finished assembling every thing. I'm not sure if your in an area that has AR parts readily available like here at FT Bragg or if you need to order on line?

I can take a 20 minute drive and find just about any tier I part I could hope for and walk out of the store that day with it.
    Last edited by hdrolling; 11-05-17 at 12:00.
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have also been in the planning phase of breaking up my BCM/Knights pistol and building a BCM lower for it so it's a complete BCM build and then taking the Knights lower and building a complete Knights clone rifle like you could have.

But after just spending over $4000 building my Noveske I have to save up the funds again, those KAC uppers are expensive!

Feedback Score
    Zero mechanical benefit from the KAC and the mega lower, just a visual detail. I don't think there would be much of a difference from the mega and aero you where looking at either, but you had mentioned wanting this build to be top of the line.

If you were showing my your build at the range and I saw an expensive KAC upper and mid grade mega lower It wouldn't have as much of the Wow factor as it would if you spent the extra 60-80 for a matching Kac lower. It would look like it was a factory Knights rifle.

It's your weapon and you know your budget, any three of the lowers will work fine. Worse case if down the road you decide you would have preferred to use the matching lower you can always get one and use the non-KAC lower on another build.

As far as the end plate, I didn't see it being mentioned that it was a QD(quick detach) style. I'm not sure I would try to mount a sling on the SBM4 since it could move, so if your a sling guy having a QD end plate might be something you want before you stake your castle nut.

Being new to building myself I have missed that part during a build and had to run into town to grab one before I finished assembling every thing. I'm not sure if your in an area that has AR parts readily available like here at FT Bragg or if you need to order on line?

I can take a 20 minute drive and find just about any tier I part I could hope for and walk out of the store that day with it.
    You're right about the end plate. I think I will get a QD end plate. Would this be compatible with the vltor a5 system? https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...R+QD+END+PLATE

What about the wow factor if I used a noveske stripped lower, since I can't find KAC anywhere.
    Last edited by heavygunner8; 11-05-17 at 12:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You're right about the end plate. I think I will get a QD end plate. Would this be compatible with the vltor a5 system? https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...R+QD+END+PLATE

What about the wow factor if I used a noveske stripped lower, since I can't find KAC anywhere.
    Yes that QD end plate will work.

As far as lowers, if your not going with knights to match your upper then really there is no reason to pay more for an expensive roll mark unless your wanting a special lower with built in ambi parts or something like that. But it boils down to what you want.

I'm not sure if they ship but my local shop had three knights stripped lowers on the shelf when I bought mine a few months ago. I was in last month getting my Noveske lower and they still had a least one on the shelf if you wanted to try to call tomorrow? Shooter supply, (910) 860-3700

I didn't see what state your in?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast