Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PDQ Ambi Bolt Release Verdict?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I appreciate the link. I’ll have to modify mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazos_Jack View Post
    "but with one of my aero’s the bolt doesn’t always lock back on the last mag. I don’t know if it’s the port door pressure or if it’s the Pdq has too much mass to overcome"

I think the problem is the combination of the two.

I've also looked into things like the Magpul BAD and the Troy. It looks like none are "ready for prime time" as they come from their respective vendors.

I've read of one guy who made his PDQ 100% by ginding away about half of the part that extends from the starboard side of the receiver, drastically cutting the weight and removing most of the arms material where it contacts the port door.

It seems that for $60 bucks, the vendor should make them this way to start with:
    https://minivandoorgunner.blogspot.c...t-release.html
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have one too but mine is on a billet lower and the mod to my lower was much less invasive than that on a mil spec lower, it was so easy and quick it was almost scarey, and the lever works perfectly. I've had 0 issues with any function of the gun and all operates as it should. I personally like it.

Feedback Score
    I put one in a rifle I built for my wife several yrs back, as she shoots long guns lefty. As installed, it had one issue, not always locking the bolt on the last round.
    Upon close inspection, the dust cover rode it pretty solidly, and the right side sticking out seems to add quite a bit of mass, especially that far away from the pivot point.
    So, I recontoured much of that side. Milled some off the bottom of the right side button and arm, cut a little lightening pocket in the bottom of the button, and put a shallow bevel along the top outside of the arm, where the dust cover rode.
    Gtg ever since. The steel was quite hard, so I'm not expecting it to bend or give way without getting a pretty serious hit.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    My take on the PDQ after a few months use:

Few things to note if you're just skimming.

1. I'm left handed, and Ive used Magpul BAD levers on other rifles

2. The PDQ is a safer and equally effective option in my opinion.

3. I think I'd like it better if I was right handed

Now there's not too many different different schools of thought for left handed bolt manipulation; and before I got a BAD lever I basically manipulated the bolt catch the same as Lary Vickers (not as fluidly of course but same motion).

This method works fine and would probably be what I'd focus my training around if I had a higher probability of having to pick up and rapidly use a non ambi augmented AR in combat; but Im a civilian in all aspects. I primarily target shoot, but I'm working on developing a more combat oriented skillset. Unless I'm shooting a friends gun at the range Im using all my own gear, so why not orient it for my use.

Ive used all the main BAD lever style offerings from different companies and while they were very useful for a lefty, I never really liked the Idea of it being placed inside the trigger guard. I'm sure with proper discipline and conscious effort this would never result in an ND in a perfect world, but I'll openly admit I'm far from perfect and I'd rather not play the odds game with a firearm.

There have been a few documented cases of ND's that were potentially BAD lever related in the competitive world, which prompted me to look for a better solution on the market.

I narrowed my search down to the PDQ and the Geissele Maritime extended bolt catch. While I like the Geissele option, the tab for the release wasn't in a comfortable position to reach with the Magpul K2 grip on my rifle, it was doable with a regular A2 grip, but I really like the K2 so I decided to look into the PDQ lever.

Instead of modifying an existing gun I opted to just get a new Aero Precision Ambi lower that has the PDQ pre installed, and build another rifle.

My experience thereafter was overwhelmingly positive, but ill break it down into pro's and con's

Pro:

-Feels secure and purpose built (no sloppy wobble like a BAD)

-Engages reliably with quality mags

-Comfortably acessible with my right hand thumb from a magwell grip (or via index finger for right handed people, I suspect this was the original designed use)

Con.

-Causes slight wear/rub on the dust cover (I don't care but just be aware if you do for some reason)

-Requires modification of factory forged lowers for use (I havent heard of any ill effect on the lower's integrity)

-may not lock the bolt back reliably in some very specific circumstances or combinations thereof

1. Weak or worn magspring
    2. Overly stiff bolt catch spring (only read of this once and I think it may have actually been caused by reason 1
    3. Something pushing down on the dust cover blocking the lever from traveling upward.

The only malfuction I've experienced personally that was possibly related to this lever was a few failures to lock the bolt open on an empty mag. These all occurred with the same mag, which is my oldest, cheapest and least reliable mag. I couldn't replicate this with any of my Magpul, Lancer, or even my Hex Mags, so I'd surmise it was more mag related than lever related.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The LMT MARS-L is the better solution...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post

I've got one of these lowers and I've really been trying hard to keep myself from swapping all of my lowers to these. They really are awesome, especially now that they offer them stripped. No issues using USGI, Magpul Gen 2 or 3, or Lancer L5AWM mags. It's also nice having an ambi lower that looks more traditional (not flashy) yet still has well placed and functional ambi features. Also, for those that care, the anodizing on it is really nice and doesn't seem to be as prone to showing wear as other manufacturers anodizing, at least from my sample of one.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The only thing I’d buy from PDQ are chicken tenders. They should just stick to what they’re good at. Everybody feels like they have to be in the AR game now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post

That lower looks amazing, I love LMT! I have a bunch of AX556 lowers as well, I love these too and are also a better solution! The reli-catch/release also gets you close to full ambi (no ambi mag release, due to Radian not given them the ok to produce an ambi mag release apparently) if you want to make a current lower almost full ambi.

This PDQ product looks interesting, but I see you have to hack up a current lower? Is there no way around that? If so, it would be a no go for me.

Feedback Score
    I've handled one LMT mars lowers in person. I wish I knew about them before going into weird boutique lowers. They are definitely good quality, and the right side bolt catch is solid, and is very smooth. The only caveat I can think of is that aftermarket bolt catches are not compatible.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If I had it to do over again, I'd start with an LMT MARS, KAC, or Radian. Maybe an ADM, but I like the others better. But the reason I was drawn into this thread is I have a lower that I SBR'd over half a decade ago that I want to add ambi to. So, I'm kind of bound to this little guy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast