Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PDQ Ambi Bolt Release Verdict?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yeah, this has me on the whole full ambi kick again. Operations Parts has a pre-order for another run of Radian ADAC lowers.
    Does the LMT MARS have the same functionality as the ADAC? ie the bolt lock back with the right side mag release?
    Honestly both look great and I'm sure both are top quality but honestly, I much prefer forged lowers. Some billet receivers loose the look for me. I guess I just prefer the mil look.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    Does the LMT MARS have the same functionality as the ADAC? ie the bolt lock back with the right side mag release?
    The two are... different. With LMT, the bolt catch is almost literally a mirror of the catch on the left-hand side and you manipulate it exactly the same way to drop the bolt or lock the bolt back, just with your right-hand.

With the Radian, the function is split up between two buttons... it has a dedicated button on the right-hand side to release the bolt and the magazine release button doubles as a bolt catch.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post
    The two are... different. With LMT, the bolt catch is almost literally a mirror of the catch on the left-hand side and you manipulate it exactly the same way to drop the bolt or lock the bolt back, just with your right-hand.

With the Radian, the function is split up between two buttons... it has a dedicated button on the right-hand side to release the bolt and the magazine release button doubles as a bolt catch.
    So, with the Radian you have to drop a mag to lock the bolt back with your right hand?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A-DAC works by using an actuator rod, the mag button pushes it diagonally and moves the bolt catch. Both the mag release button and bolt catch have to be modified to work, the receiver needs the channel for the actuator rod as well, so all proprietary components.

Redi-Catch replicates this by using an S shaped spring, and a modified bolt catch which holds the spring. The spring reaches up to the back of the bolt catch, when the mag release button is pressed, the spring pivots the bolt catch down, locking the bolt carrier back.

The problem with Redi-Catch is it precludes the use of any ambi mag release, Norgon, KAC, Troy, our EMR-A, because the mag catch plate is proprietary.

The interesting tidbit (to some, maybe) is Redi-Catch's use of another spring adds to the pressure required to press the mag release button. In addition to the mag catch's own spring, the mag catch now has another spring that adds resistance, it feels about twice as hard with a Redi-Catch installed. I first noticed it, and realized this isn't a bad thing, but something I wanted. The factory spec mag catch spring is rather weak, it's not hard to accidentally drop a mag, especially if you have the rifle slung, with the ejection port facing your armor with pouches and gear attached.

With our EMR-A, we use an extra power (calibrated to 30% stiffer) spring, which we also make available separately. Much to my surprise, these extra spring rate springs are quite popular on our site.
    Last edited by Duffy; 07-20-18 at 09:59.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I really like both the ADAC lowers and Redi-Catch. Dropping the mag prior to locking the bolt back makes sense for both immediate action and administrative functions. I was pretty quick locking the bolt back the old way but these make it quick and easy with no shifting grip/aspect of the weapon.

I like the drop in simplicity of the Redi-Catch but the ADAC is cleaner. I was also able to modify larger/nicer bolt catches to work with the ADAC lower so you don't have to stick to the boring standard paddle OEM one.

I wish I was able to procure a full ambi lower before our state rights diminished in 2016 but they were rare back then...

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    So, with the Radian you have to drop a mag to lock the bolt back with your right hand?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Not exactly... with the Radian you have to drop a mag to lock the bolt back with your right hand if you don't want to remove your right hand away from the fire controls. You can always lock the bolt back with the left-hand bolt catch if you don't want to drop the mag.

If you think about situations where you may need to lock the bolt back with your right-hand, particularly certain kinds of functions to correct a malfunction, the ADAC makes a lot of sense. I really can't think of any situations where I need to both quickly and manually lock the bolt back WITH the magazine in the weapon.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    15321787970061052122993.jpg
    15321788552661938038008.jpg
    These show my minimal modification to this particular lower. It seems to do what he said it would do. Like some others I don't care too much for the shape and it's slightly concluded by the FA but I have plenty to engage and work the device. Overall I guess I'm happy with it. Plus I got a small discount due to receiving the nickel one instead of the black finish.
    When I run one of my slick side uppers on this lower it becomes even more easily manipulated and is quite fast with practice.
    I had it for quite the while after buying it because I chickened out and couldn't bring myself to chop a new BCM lower for it but when I got this lower and saw how it was machined there, I knew I had found the perfect candidate for a PDQ.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123