Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Conceal 5" 1911

Feedback Score
    I'm on and off campus too much to carry as much as I'd like, but when I do I carry a good ol' M1911A1, Liger belt, carried IWB in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II holster. I'd really like to get a Brommeland Max Con V, since it sits a little lower and cants a little more. I'd never be confused as "big", so every advantage I can get in concealment I take. Love my gun, trust my rig. You do notice that few pounds of steel at the end of the day though (well, 12+ hours of carrying anyway).

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    After much experimentation, my preference is to Blade-Tech's excellent IWB holster; I have had them made for both my 5" SIG GSR and my 4.25" Nighthawk Talon II. They work very well in terms of comfort, concealment, draw angle, support, and ease in both draw and re-holstering.

A quality belt is a crucial part of the concealment equation (in terms of both effectiveness and comfort); I've come to prefer Wilderness, 5.11 (excellent and inexpensive dress belt selection for carry), Kramer, and Galco.

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    I carry a full size 1911 in 10mm daily. The real trick for me was not the gun printing but the holster. I have used the milt sparks summer special and didnt like it due to the loops printing.
    I now carry in a Wilson Combat featherweight. It is an ultra thin leather holster with a plastic low profile hook. Everyone I have shown this holster too likes it. It is a copy of a safariland design(I forget wich model but if you look at safarilands website it is obvious) but doensnt have the tension screw. Both my uncle and stepdad now use this holster though they use the safariland version, one for a fullsize aluminum framed springfield 1911 and one for a older model smith 5903 i think.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the great feed back guys. That is exactly the information I was looking for. Sounds like the weight appears to be the only major issue I am hearing about. Sounds like I need to start shopping around. Thanks again for all the help
    Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have been using a Nossar VALOVAK - IWB to carry a full size 1911 lately. I am using a Mitch Rosen 1.5" belt. A good belt goes a long way in helping with the weight of your pistol. In my experience, a 1911 is just as easy to conceal as a Glock 19.

For weight comparison:

My 1911 (loaded with Corbon 200gr. DPX) set up with the Valovak weighs 3 pounds and 2.8 oz.

My Glock 19 (loaded) in a Comp-Tac M-Tac holster weighs 2 pounds and 3.2 oz.

My S&W model 37 (loaded) in a Mitch Rosen ARG weighs 1 pound 4.8 oz.

My S&W 642 (loaded) with CT grips in a renegade ankle holster weighs 1 pound 5.1 oz.

Feedback Score
    I personally think 1911's carry better than most modern DA/SA double stack pistols. Same is true of the Hi-Power
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    The advantage of the 1911 is that it is slim. The disadvantage is that its heavy. But a good holster and belt combo helps with the first and solves the second.

I also agree with what's been said about the LW frames. They're nicer to carry but you've got to consider how often you're going to shoot it. Durability and recoil are the main issues. But I think most people don't end up shooting often enough for it to become a factor (and I think the internet leads to some rather lofty claims about how many rounds actually get shot).

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I shot the hell out of my aluminum framed Kimber 5". Durability was not a concern nor is it now. A friend owns it and still shoots it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am 5'9" 165lb and have been carrying a 5" 1911 in a IWB holster for thirty years. It conceals better than any other pistol I have ever carried.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    I carry a SA lightweight Champion operator 4' in a UBG holster 99% of the time but can also carry my 5' its just a little too long when I sit down.

I'd recommend the www.ubgholsters.com the turn around was only 3 weeks for me can't beat that

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast