Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC/ Bellator/ MMA / BJJ / Martial Arts thread

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

UFC/ Bellator/ MMA / BJJ / Martial Arts thread

Lets kick this thread off as a generic spot to talk about hand to hand fighting. If the thread takes off and we need to do offshoots, we can do that as well. Whether we are talking about personal training, our kids training, UFC events, tournaments, or something else, lets get this thread going.

Quick background on me, I've done Martial Arts for a bunch of decades. The style I started out in had a very militant instructor who focused on Jiu Jitsu / Judo, as well as Isshinryu karate. He was ahead of his time working hybrid techniques and training, sadly he died far too early (RIP Sensei Jenkins). I have continued my training, and the training of others, most particularly my nephews (as well as others though). The training my nephews receive includes cold water hydro training, road marches with packs, carrying logs, running through the woods on a bayonet course, as well as the more traditional forms of martial arts training.

I'll brag on the nephew stuff an talk about their training more later.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    UFC 217

Holy cow, this was the best UFC event I've seen since the super stars of the early days. GSP single handedly just put Connor Mcgregor in his place. GSP is likeable, and while Dana White might not like him, GSP is a phenomenal champion which is something Connor has never managed to be.

Rose was on fire, and I have to admit I did not see her winning. I missed the afterfight talks, so I'll need to go back and watch them. She was beyond impressive in her low key mannerisms. It only made her opponent look like a clown when she lost, the humble act goes far while the loud mouths have nothing else to ratchet up to impress anyone.

TJD also had a solid fight, and he seemed to own it from the very start.

If anyone wants to talk specifics, I'm game.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I was very happy to watch GSP return to the Octagon. Any word on how he injured his neck?

(My background invludes years of TKD from an instructor who liked to mix in Muy Thai, boxing, and grappling. I also spent a fair amount of time working with on Modern Army Combatives, as well as general BJJ. A serious shoulder injury means I only dabble now, mostly helping teach the basics of BJJ.)

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I wasn't able to watch UFC 217 live, but watched the night after. I was still screaming when Rose won even though I knew the result. What a fight!

GSP... That man is unreal. He always finds a way to get it done. One of the best ever.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I've never been a huge martial arts guy. I did about 2 years of Shotokan Karate when I was much younger, but the constant injuries kind of turned me off. Recently I have been training in Krav Maga. It finally dawned on me that having all the guns is great, but if your not able to use your hands and feet your not really training like you should be. So far I'm really liking Krav, its a no bullshit way of fighting.

Feedback Score
    I thought for sure GSP was going to officially retire after he won the belt. It was a great fight but he didn't look like the GSP of old. Of course that could be from taking four years off(cage rust), being 4 years older and fighting 15lbs heavier. My background is BJJ and Muy Thai on and off for years, even stepped in the cage for some amateur and professional fights.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I was very happy to watch GSP return to the Octagon. Any word on how he injured his neck?

(My background invludes years of TKD from an instructor who liked to mix in Muy Thai, boxing, and grappling. I also spent a fair amount of time working with on Modern Army Combatives, as well as general BJJ. A serious shoulder injury means I only dabble now, mostly helping teach the basics of BJJ.)

I hadn't even heard he had a neck injury, update us with a link if you can.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
    I wasn't able to watch UFC 217 live, but watched the night after. I was still screaming when Rose won even though I knew the result. What a fight!

I didn't think she had a chance in the world, and no matter how much I wanted her to win, when she came out of backstage she did NOT look like she was in go mode. I was very happy to be mistaken.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P&P View Post
    I thought for sure GSP was going to officially retire after he won the belt. It was a great fight but he didn't look like the GSP of old. Of course that could be from taking four years off(cage rust), being 4 years older and fighting 15lbs heavier. My background is BJJ and Muy Thai on and off for years, even stepped in the cage for some amateur and professional fights.

Nope, he certainly didn't look like the GSP of old, but he skill level is still pegging out at the top of the charts. I thought he started slowing down, and was concerned about his cardio, but it could have been an intended game change to offset his opponent.

I would like to see him pull a McGregor card and drop weight, then take a belt in the lower division. He could hold in the lower weight class and be back where he used to if he were so inclined.

I'm not a Connor McGregor fan, but I do think a fight with him against GSP would bring the roof down. Then again, I think GSP would need to get his training back up as Connor is over rated, but still pretty fast (IMHO).

Lastly, I'll throw my 2 cents in and say that GSP is a legend, while McGregor is just a flash in the pan who came to the UFC at the right time while all the real champs were gone.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    GSP had a horrific camp with stomach issues while he was trying to put on weight. I would bet that had as much to do with any cardio problems as anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast