Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Set screw gas block for hard use?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
    what is 'rocket the GB in place?
    what is rockset and where can I get it?

thx

Rockset is basically an adhesive that Suppressor manufacturers use to secure the adaptor to the barrel. It can withstand high heat, but still be broken by hand.

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Aluminum gas blocks expand faster than the barrel steel and depending on the fit could cause excessive gas leakage and cause the gun to malfunction as it heats up. It's best to use a similar metal to the barrel steel on short pistol and carbine length gas systems. It occurs less often in midlength and almost never with rifle length.
    Well, that makes perfect sense.

This keeps getting more expensive....!

Looks like I might just purchase a steel GB from someone who does this, and have them install it at the same time.

Cost wise....it almost looks like I could buy a standard FSB, shave it, then have the barrel drilled for the cross pins...for the same price as a low profile GB and what pinning it would cost. The shaved FSB would be cheaper, lighter, and more secure...it would also permit switching between a fixed FSB config, and an extended rail config.

Is there any reason why manufacturers don't offer shaved GB's this way? They could sell them for the same price as a FSB, and save money by not including the post, spring, and detent.

Just trying to think through this...input is welcome!

Thanks again fellas!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If you are getting your gas block pinned just a reminder, if done incorrectly, can put stresses on your barrel that will decrease accuracy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123