Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: Dog thread .... join up and post about mans best friend here!

Feedback Score
    My first Rott was a stubborn SOB. But I knew that going in. I took him to a trainer who specialized in German dogs (Schutzhund work in particular) and worked with him for almost a year. He knew every command and hand signal. The problem was he was a punk and decided HE would decide when he felt like obeying. For instance, doing a rolling sit or down command from a heal. He would stop but not execute the command. He would read my inside shoulder and as soon as I turned and was in the process of gathering the lead (giving slack) he would hook the lead with his front paw, put it in his mouth, and go into a play bow for a game of tug of war. It was hard to not laugh at the little fokker. So one day, after many weeks of this, Don (trainer) says hang on. Goes in and comes back out with a prong collar. He says "I really hate using these in general but we need a correction he will respect." Sure enough, 15 minutes with that collar on and that dog was on POINT. Executing commands with extreme enthusiasm. We both laughed because it was like we had a different dog on our hands. He had always shown signs of being capable of this kind of performance but, like I said, he was a punk. Pack order was never in question. I was alpha. But he was the quintessential 14 year old kid who decided he could take on his old man and push the boundaries. I never had to use the prong collar with him after that day but it was always on hand. That was 25 years ago.

A few months ago my father in law adopted a retired SCH3 regional champion GSD. She spends a lot of time at our house and has bonded with our daughter. She is slowly learning how to DOG as her life up to this point was all business. She uses an electronic collar. It is rarely needed but for those times when you need to break her target lock it works to get her attention and break her focus. She likes to kill squirrels. We don't like to clean up the mess but we applaud her vigilance in keeping the yard free of domestic terrorists. So it gets used to disrupt her prey drive when appropriate.

There has been a parade of both GSDs and Rotts through our door from that first one, 25 years ago, to this current fur missile. All of them have had different personalities, temperaments and idiosyncrasies. They key has always been to understand each dog and figure out what works and doesn't work for that dog. While working towards the same end goal; a well adjusted and happy dog that knows its place in the pack and what is expected of it.

Feedback Score
    Pups first training with gun fire and live birds. He is going to be as good or better than his aunt that we have . He is 8 months she is 4.5 years
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAUSER202 View Post
    Pups first training with gun fire and live birds. He is going to be as good or better than his aunt that we have . He is 8 months she is 4.5 years
    Man, that is a great looking pic!! Great looking pup as well.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonaldOO View Post
    Here is Maremmano-Abruzzese Sheepdog. I plan to get a puppy this summer. This breed seems to suit me best

Any closer, or did you already get your new pup?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure if I’ve posted this one already, and I’m posting from my iPad, so please excuse if it comes up goofy.

2C634A76-F15F-4BBD-9CE4-59E52E9547B5.jpeg
    Stick

Feedback Score
    My dogs aka aquatic potatoes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Happy girl waiting in the truck while we stop at a store..... just a quick iphone pic.

Stick

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Stick

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My camping buddy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan1612 View Post
    My camping buddy

Everyone loves a lab!
    Stick

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast