Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Semi-Auto Shotgun in New Jersey

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Recommended Semi-Auto Shotgun in New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    A N.J. Dem. Senator -Loretta Weinberg proposed banning the following list of guns in NJ
    Just a heads up, that list is currently illegal... and has been the case since the early 1990s.

ARs aren’t illegal, unless it is a Colt with “AR-15” or “CAR-15” or has more that one evil feature (pistol grip, collapsible/folding stock, flash hider, grenade launcher, bayonet lug). NJ still has an active assault weapons ban on the books, which includes shotguns and pistols.

What happens after Murphy gets in is fair game... and probably will be on the level of California. I was here for the election (voted, as did my entire family and girlfriend; also talked a few people she works with out of voting if they were leaning Murphy), but will likely be leaving NJ within the next few months.

Semi-auto shotguns are tricky with NJ law. While the law reads you can only have one of four features (magazine over 6 rounds, detachable magazine, pistol grip, collapsible/folding stock), other parts of the law state the the pistol grip on a semi-auto shotgun is flat out illegal. It is complicated for a reason.

While a semi-auto shotgun is a good investment, if NJ proposes a law, grandfathering will likely not be included. That means all the guns/magazines people are buying will be illegal. Just something to consider... not saying to keep it and break the law, but pointing it out. Personally, I’d have to get some guns out of NJ (godmother lives in PA, so a cheap sheet metal safe and I’m good). If it occurs when I’m out of state before moving (FLETC), I’ll lock everything questionable in one safe and take both dial lock keys.

Even if I wasn’t already planning on leaving NJ, I’d likely be doing it now. I already know that I’ll probably be storing rifles/magazines that my father currently owns when I leave... at least until my parents get out of the state.
    Last edited by Screwball; 11-11-17 at 07:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    It's out by the ocean. Not far from LBI, Seaside Hights, Point Pleasant. If you drew a straight line west you'd wind up in center City Philly. Easton would be about 1.5hr drive

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, asked some family over there and got a general idea. Be honest, I grew up over there, and try to avoid going over there as much as possible. After living in the deep south and then looking at moving somewhere where pizza wasn't some sort of mystery dish I had a good bit of family wanting me to move back to NJ. Kindly explained that 2/3rds of my guns, over 100 mags, and probably 5K of ammo was straight up illegal in that place they still didn't understand that taxes, lack of jobs, ect also had me looking much stronger at PA. You'd have to pay me stupid money to work in NJ, let along live there.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'd get the 1301, if it's in your budget.

Mine has been extremely reliable, and I don't pamper my defensive shotguns.

Damn, that nice looking. One of the nicer set up semi defensive guns I've seen. And this coming from a guy who has been trying to get a 870P for myself. Of course I looking at a used 870, or possible another 17 locally for like $350. Always when I broke the gun deals pop up.

Anyway, OP I got your PM, I think screwball kind of covered what I was going to be getting at. Which is with what is currently legal there, and the fact that you'd need a crystal ball, a time machine, and divine intervention and not be able to predict what and how they would ban guns there isn't a whole lot of safe bets. I'd be one saying that if you have the X95 and like it then run that, slap a light on it, and train. To me a shotgun, for HD, is almost on the level of a revolver as to the amount of time and effort you have to put in it to be good, not some much getting shots, but getting the gun back in the fight once it goes dry, or god forbid goes down. An AR, a Tavor, even an AK, are pretty simple to clear if they malf, and pretty damn quick too when compared.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post

Damn, that nice looking. One of the nicer set up semi defensive guns I've seen. And this coming from a guy who has been trying to get a 870P for myself. Of course I looking at a used 870, or possible another 17 locally for like $350. Always when I broke the gun deals pop up.

Thank you. It has industrial Velcro on the other side of the receiver for ammo carry.

I have a pair of 870P's. For a righthander, I think they are the best entry-level shotgun. I would also not discount a good Wingmaster made before Cerebus bought Remington.

Talk to Mark at Summit Gun Broker, he'll take care of you on a good shotgun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Just a heads up, that list is currently illegal... and has been the case since the early 1990s.

ARs aren’t illegal, unless it is a Colt with “AR-15” or “CAR-15” or has more that one evil feature (pistol grip, collapsible/folding stock, flash hider, grenade launcher, bayonet lug). NJ still has an active assault weapons ban on the books, which includes shotguns and pistols.

What happens after Murphy gets in is fair game... and probably will be on the level of California. I was here for the election (voted, as did my entire family and girlfriend; also talked a few people she works with out of voting if they were leaning Murphy), but will likely be leaving NJ within the next few months.

Semi-auto shotguns are tricky with NJ law. While the law reads you can only have one of four features (magazine over 6 rounds, detachable magazine, pistol grip, collapsible/folding stock), other parts of the law state the the pistol grip on a semi-auto shotgun is flat out illegal. It is complicated for a reason.

While a semi-auto shotgun is a good investment, if NJ proposes a law, grandfathering will likely not be included. That means all the guns/magazines people are buying will be illegal. Just something to consider... not saying to keep it and break the law, but pointing it out. Personally, I’d have to get some guns out of NJ (godmother lives in PA, so a cheap sheet metal safe and I’m good). If it occurs when I’m out of state before moving (FLETC), I’ll lock everything questionable in one safe and take both dial lock keys.

Even if I wasn’t already planning on leaving NJ, I’d likely be doing it now. I already know that I’ll probably be storing rifles/magazines that my father currently owns when I leave... at least until my parents get out of the state.
    My local range & gun shop stated that many sem-auto rifles & shotguns are being traded for a gun that's not semi-auto because the Dems are in control and anything law wise can happen in NJ-----Penna is on my mind as far as moving!
    Time for another cup of Java!
    Last edited by veteran-USMC; 11-12-17 at 09:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My local range & gun shop stated that many sem-auto rifles & shotguns are being traded for a gun that's not semi-auto because the Dems are in control and anything law wise can happen in NJ-----Penna is on my mind as far as moving!
    That’s a little excessive, even for NJ. Murphy doesn’t get into office until mid-January...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you. It has industrial Velcro on the other side of the receiver for ammo carry.

I have a pair of 870P's. For a righthander, I think they are the best entry-level shotgun. I would also not discount a good Wingmaster made before Cerebus bought Remington.

Talk to Mark at Summit Gun Broker, he'll take care of you on a good shotgun.
    Nice. I am looking at a 870P locally. Haven't gotten a response from the guy in two tries. First time when he posted it at $280 and I said, please let me know on local, I want. No answer. Recently reposted at $260, responded, still no answer. Guess my money not green enough.

I have my opinion on guys unloading guns that might be banned. I'll keep that shit to myself for the time being since I've reaped enough butthurt for my sunday.

But yes, come to the amish side. And you can have this

Bayo lug, adjustable stock, flash hider, and mags over 15 rounds. Because 'merica!!!!
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMM View Post
    I caught my M2 3 gun on sale for 1200 a few weeks ago. It was the 21" model and not the new version (24" barrel) but I was okay with that. I was very happy to snatch it up for that price!
    Where did you score that M2 3 gun? That is a heck of a price.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You are correct with that fatal flaw! I was told that a gunsmith could easily fix that button
    Yep - took two minutes to swap the release button. Can't recall the name - shouldn't be hard to track down. Turns the 1301T into as near to perfection as this old boy can find. It IS a a light gun, and the rules of physics DO apply!

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd get the 1301, if it's in your budget.

Mine has been extremely reliable, and I don't pamper my defensive shotguns.

Which stock is that?

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Which stock is that?

geezer john
    It's a Mossberg Magpul SGA with the Aridus Stock Adapter (which for the sake of disclosure is my company)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, ASA, and other fun shotgun things.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast