Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PD trade in 6520 - a couple questions.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

PD trade in 6520 - a couple questions.

I just picked up an apparent LE trade in 1999 mfg Colt 6520 "government carbine".
    I have a couple quick questions.

The carbine has one of the neutered "half circle" BCGs. If I wanted to, could I run a full auto carrier with this lower without issue?

I know Colt made some if their lowers to be incompatible with the full auto carriers but I'm not totally clear which are or are not gtg, as I understand there were a couple variations of these "sear block" lowers.

Secondly, if I can use a FA carrier in this carbine and decide to do so, can I take the existing bolt and put it into the FA BCG and use it in the carbine without any potential for headspace issues or could changing the carrier affect the headspace, even with the original bolt in place?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Your lower is the current style sear block and is compatible with any style of carrier, both semi and full auto.

Your can move the parts from your current carrier to the new full auto carrier.

Be advised you will have a semi auto firing pin in the full auto carrier, which is not an issue for functioning, but is technically not the correct assembly.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    10-4 thanks for the info

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Nice score!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's in quite nice shape overall. I did already swap the M4 "waffle stock" it had on it for a Colt "N" CAR stock I had laying around. One thing of note is that it has 7-hole skinny carbine handguards, I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that Colt CAR handguards were 6-hole and the M4 handguards were the only 7-hole handguards Colt made, so im wondering whether the handguards *may* not be original.

It also has as Trijicon front sight post with some faint glow left to it and an XS night sight rear aperture that seems to be dead.

It's my first actual Colt AR.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 11-09-17 at 17:48.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Colt skinny handguards were both 6 hole and later 7 hole.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Great score, let's see the whole rifle?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was really really tempted to buy one of these a few weeks ago. I had one back around 2008 or so and it is a great handy little rifle. Sold it to buy a 6920.

They would make a great KISS rifle or jungle carbine.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In addition to being my first Colt, it's also the first complete AR I've ever bought. All my other ones were pieced together to one degree or another, which I why I wasn't familiar with the way the inside of a Colt lower looked.
    It is a very handy carbine, although it probably won't be getting used for much as I've already got "working" ARs. I mostly bought it because I wanted a Colt and was more interested in getting one of their older models vs a 6920 (not that there is anything wrong with the 6920, I've just become a bit of a retro head of late)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    In addition to being my first Colt, it's also the first complete AR I've ever bought. All my other ones were pieced together to one degree or another, which I why I wasn't familiar with the way the inside of a Colt lower looked.
    It is a very handy carbine, although it probably won't be getting used for much as I've already got "working" ARs. I mostly bought it because I wanted a Colt and was more interested in getting one of their older models vs a 6920 (not that there is anything wrong with the 6920, I've just become a bit of a retro head of late)
    Oh that's a handy looking carbine for sure, I have one but with then A1 upper. Agree it doesn't get used much but every time I pick it up I am reminded of its great qualities!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast