Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: PD trade in 6520 - a couple questions.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    It has the regular size hole with a double screw for the take down pin. Rhwower is not drilled for the takedown pins spring and detent. Here is an old thread that covers the issue.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...d-spring/page2
    I drilled my own hole with a cordless drill and no bracing. It turned out fine.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score

Some Colt wizard will come along with the serial numbers, dates, and corresponding configurations I'm sure that will weigh in.,?
    I thought someone had but I can't find it in this thread.

Mine is in the 46000+ range.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrock82 View Post
    Mine was a PA state police trade in and came in a 6940 box.

[...]

Shoots well with shall we say... a "tolerable" trigger and came with an aftermarket aluminum triggerguard installed. Shows signs of carry handle optic mount too, I may try to pick up a ta44 or 45 to have around for it.
    PSP traded in the 6520s for 6940s so that box makes perfect sense.

Magpul Enhanced trigger guards were install to work with the gun rack's trigger locking mechanism in the patrol cars.

PSP used Aimpoint Comp M3s on Aimpoint carry handle mounts. The Comp M3s along with PROs were put on the new 6940s.
    Last edited by eagle5; 12-01-18 at 10:20. Reason: hooked on phonics

Feedback Score
    I've shot mine a couple of times now, so I took the time this weekend to really look at each component for condition.

Here's the interesting thing: The ONLY internal part that has a lot of wear is the charging handle. Not even the cam pin has much wear. Now, assuming the cam pin might be a replacement, I'd expect the rest of the internals to have more wear and they don't. The fact that only the charging handle looks really worn tells me that probably the officer had to clear the weapon after coming off the line every day, and so that component more than any other was getting the wear. The dealer on Gunsamerica sold these as "having mostly sat in a patrol car", and I'm tending toward believing that. The only other condition issue I found was a little bit of rust behind the flash hider and some gun rack scratches on the barrel.

Other than that, my rear sight as mentioned before is a few clicks off to one side to be zeroed, but this rifle is in remarkable condition for a service weapon.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah the exterior of my gun is in very good shape, I still don't know where mine came from but the only notable wear to the exterior finish is from the port door flipping down and contacting the top horizontal section of "fencing" on the lower receiver.
    That, plus the fact the gun failed a gas ring check about halfway through the 645 rounds I've put through it, (The gun didn't malfunction but I preemptively changed out the rings anyway) lead me to believe it had been shot a fair bit but probably spent most of it's downtime sitting in an arms room or a static post. I'll have to look at the internal wear more closely, although I currently don't have the original carrier in it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Yeah the exterior of my gun is in very good shape, I still don't know where mine came from but the only notable wear to the exterior finish is from the port door flipping down and contacting the top horizontal section of "fencing" on the lower receiver.
    That, plus the fact the gun failed a gas ring check about halfway through the 645 rounds I've put through it, (The gun didn't malfunction but I preemptively changed out the rings anyway) lead me to believe it had been shot a fair bit but probably spent most of it's downtime sitting in an arms room or a static post. I'll have to look at the internal wear more closely, although I currently don't have the original carrier in it.
    I guess I need to do a gas ring check. The internals looked so good I didn't think it could have been shot enough to need new rings. I've also put about 250 rounds through it without a single malfunction and called it good.

Wasn't there another thread where one of the participants knew about what year it was made by the serial number range? I've looked but I can't find it. Maybe it was TOS but I thought it was here.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 12-10-18 at 13:06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Colt's website used to allow you to get the year of manufacture if you entered the serial#, then they "updated" their system and now it doesn't seem to work with AR variants for some reason.
    However you can still call their archive department and ask a crabby lady who hates her job to look up the number. She'll tell you the manufacture year....but anything else (Where it was sold, what LE agency etc..) will cost you $100, so I never bothered going any farther with that process. That money is better spent on ammo.

However, you can also just look on the underside of the barrel near the handguard cap and it should have the month and year of manufacture right there.
    Mine was January of 1999.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 12-10-18 at 13:29.

Feedback Score
    However, you can also just look on the underside of the barrel near the handguard cap and it should have the month and year of manufacture right there.
    Mine was January of 1999.
    Really? I DID NOT KNOW THAT. We're talking in front of the handguard cap or underneath the handguards?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Under the handguards, so the front end of the handguard near the cap. In my case I can see it through the vent hole without even taking the handguard off.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 12-10-18 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    Under the handguards so the front end of the handguard. In my case I can see it through the vent hole without even taking the handguard off.
    Cool. Good info. I'll shine an LED flashlight through the holes. I located an original set of Colt carbine handguards in my parts box that "look" vintage like the rest of the rifle so finding a date of manufacture will be the cherry on top to that.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast