Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PD trade in 6520 - a couple questions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Guys, remember that there are two different 6520s. One is the R6520, which was a pre-ban, and the other is the AR6520 which was a ban-era model. The R6520 did come with the CAR stock (N1) and many had the sear block which would dictate the use of the half moon carrier. The AR6520 came with the 4th Gen waffle stock and did not have the sear block.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah, technically mine is the AR6520. I just have a petty dislike for the "waffle stock", hence why I stuck a spare N1 on the gun instead.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Guys, remember that there are two different 6520s. One is the R6520, which was a pre-ban, and the other is the AR6520 which was a ban-era model. The R6520 did come with the CAR stock (N1) and many had the sear block which would dictate the use of the half moon carrier. The AR6520 came with the 4th Gen waffle stock and did not have the sear block.

There are plenty of AR6520s that came with the plastic CAR stock made between 1995 and 2001.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Might as well mention I actually shot the thing last night. Only a quick range session, 96 rounds (two GI 20s and two GI 30s loaded to 28). Worked fine except....good god was the elevation off on the front sight. Like 18 inches high at 50 yards. The Trijicon front post offered way less adjustability than a GI post, requiring a full revolution of the post for each adjustment. Eventually I got it sighted in at 25 yards instead of my usual 50yards and decided to call it good as I was running out of daylight. Once I got it on paper the gun seemed accurate and was pleasant to handle and shoot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Worked fine except....good god was the elevation off on the front sight. Like 18 inches high at 50 yards. The Trijicon front post offered way less adjustability than a GI post, requiring a full revolution of the post for each adjustment.
    Take a 2nd look at your post. Most have a 2 piece set up where the lower half is used to adjust elevation then the upper half is able to rotate to index the vial to face rear. The detent pin gets pushed all the way down to adjust elevation and then pushed in just far enough to clear the upper half notch to index the vial.

CP25F.jpg

Unless it is also an XS brand. You can adjust it similar to the method used for 200 meter sight setting on the A2 rear though.

interesting on the elevation adjustment if it came that way from a police department. An officer in our local pd was talking to a friend of mine about their new SBR's and they liked them except there was no way to adjust them for elevation since the rear sights only had windage adjustment.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 11-13-17 at 18:02.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Thanks! Found them: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...uestions/page3

I think my wife will probably ask me to wait, I just bought an RMR, plus have an RMR slide inbound. I hope they have one next month.
    Well then do what most of us would do and don't tell her until after it gets here....can't say no then!

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    Take a 2nd look at your post. Most have a 2 piece set up where the lower half is used to adjust elevation then the upper half is able to rotate to index the vial to face rear. The detent pin gets pushed all the way down to adjust elevation and then pushed in just far enough to clear the upper half notch to index the vial.

CP25F.jpg

Unless it is also an XS brand. You can adjust it similar to the method used for 200 meter sight setting on the A2 rear though.

interesting on the elevation adjustment if it came that way from a police department. An officer in our local pd was talking to a friend of mine about their new SBR's and they liked them except there was no way to adjust them for elevation since the rear sights only had windage adjustment.
    Yeah, did a bit more looking into it and what I actually seem to have is a front and rear sight set apparently made *by* Trijicon for XS. I saw Trijicon's name on the front post and assumed the front sight and the rear were two different brands. When I have more time I'll mess with the rear sight to get a better zero, although the tritium in the sights is mostly gone anyway and I find the front post slightly too chunky for my tastes so I may end up just going back to more conventional front and rear sights.

Yeah I was shocked at how far off the elevation was. Unless the sights somehow got tweaked via jostling or whatever (which seems unlikely considering I needed to use *two* tools simultaneously just to adjust the front sight. I think the XS sights fo require a special tool for adjustment and I didn't have it.)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Yeah, did a bit more looking into it and what I actually seem to have is a front and rear sight set apparently made *by* Trijicon for XS. I saw Trijicon's name on the front post and assumed the front sight and the rear were two different brands. When I have more time I'll mess with the rear sight to get a better zero, although the tritium in the sights is mostly gone anyway and I find the front post slightly too chunky for my tastes so I may end up just going back to more conventional front and rear sights.

Yeah I was shocked at how far off the elevation was. Unless the sights somehow got tweaked via jostling or whatever (which seems unlikely considering I needed to use *two* tools simultaneously just to adjust the front sight. I think the XS sights fo require a special tool for adjustment and I didn't have it.)
    I like the XS rear well if it is the same plane type(if you switch it out, let know if want to sell it), but their method of front sight manufacturing is a head shaker. The 2 piece design has been around several decades and even the 1970s low light sight system had tritium visible on 2 sides for less error. Think XS and now closed PT Partners from Texas have been the only tritium AR front sights that were made very long using the one side only and non-indexable approach.

Here are the XS instructions which seem a bit dated on what is the current norm.

https://www.xssights.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=FAQs#5
    Last edited by JasonB1; 11-14-17 at 08:55.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    I
    Here are the XS instructions which seem a bit dated on what is the current norm.

https://www.xssights.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=FAQs#5

Thanks for that. Yes it does seem dated.
    From their instructions:
    . The majority of the rifles and carbines made today have the new A2 style rear sight assembly
    This 6520 is the only AR that I own with A2 rear sights and the only one I've ever had to zero with them as well. Every other AR I have either has an A1 carry handle, Daniel Defense rear sight (also A1 type) and on my one AR with magnified optics, a Magpul flip up rear.

I do sort of like the the smaller aperture on the XS rear sight. It's small, but still bigger than the corresponding milspec version, so it's kind of a nice comprise for my not-so-great eyes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Take a look at this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ory-curve-5-56

The 8/3 -3 click zero with an A2 rear sight is handy, although you might have to get a standard front sight post to fine tune it.

If you are using an RDS with your Daniel Defense rear, the XS same plane seems to give a slightly better sight picture to my not so hot eyes too.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 11-14-17 at 10:30.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast