Thread: Colt SP1 (R6000) Barrel Markings

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Colt SP1 (R6000) Barrel Markings

Good afternoon. I recently purchased a Colt SP1 (R6000), which based off of the serial number dates to 1975. What concerns me is that the barrel markings read "MP CHROME BORE". My understanding and research tells me that there should always be a 'C' marking on Colt rifles. It is common knowledge that Colt just used whatever parts they had available (including Govt. contract parts) and I cannot find any conclusive info on the inter-webs, so I am hoping that some of you Colt experts can set me straight on the matter. Somewhere I was reading that there is sometimes a marking on the barrel between the FSP clamps, but I see nothing there either. My fear is that this rifle was re-barreled at some point or the upper is not Colt. Your expertise is appreciated.

Attachment 48573Attachment 48574
    Last edited by Cuda444; 11-11-17 at 13:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looking at the picture, there does appear to be slight evidence of a C before MP. It looks like a really light strike showing the top of the C. It is in line with the rest of the markings.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    My early 80's SP1 has the "C", as did all of the M-16 A1's that I remember from my time in the Army.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Looking at the picture, there does appear to be slight evidence of a C before MP. It looks like a really light strike showing the top of the C. It is in line with the rest of the markings.
    I agree, the entire C is faint but unmistakable in the photo.

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Keen eyes gentlemen! Thanks for the input, I would never have noticed the mark.