Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plates for civilian

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Plates for civilian

I remember when AR500 plates first came out and the main concern was spalling. Granted, this was a number of years ago and was curious if this is still a concern? Looking at these for plates to have in case something does happen (insert what if scenario)

If these plates below are a no go, is there a plate for level III or III+ that you would wear? I have a Mayflower carrier. Thanks in advance.

https://www.ar500armor.com/promotion...ody-armor.html

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Save up for ceramics. If you absolutely must have something right now, get soft armor.

Steel plates are meme-tier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Save up for ceramics. If you absolutely must have something right now, get soft armor.

Steel plates are meme-tier.
    Ceramics have to be xrayed I though to determine their integrity

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Buy from a legitimate supplier and it's a non issue.

Cheap
    Good

Pick one.

Feedback Score

Cheap
    Good

Pick one.
    And a legitimate supplier would be?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    See my signature and send me an email/PM. Always take care of forum members. Armor/Helmets are my bread and butter. Highcom, Hesco, Tencate, have them all, and can special order anything from them. (not all the plates are online on my site)
    Last edited by drummerdude1188; 11-20-17 at 13:07.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    I have these plates from SKD Tactical that Brother Outlander recommended. They are very well made and Velocity Systems did some testing and it held its own against M855A1 ammo. Yes. The A1.
    Very solid, high quality plates for a good price.

But I didn’t want Just ceramic plates. I wanted soft armor as well. For two reasons.
    1. I want a better low viz option with a jacket or button down shirt. As Firefly said wearing hard plates sends a very clear message.
    2. I was told that the last thing I want while wearing rifle plates is to get shot and not have any soft armor or armor backers onto help spread the blunt force trauma.

Not that I’m planning on getting shot, but I prepare.

My soft armor is Second Chance Monarch from bulletproofme.com and it is definitely NOT considered budget armor, but it is previously owned - used. However after talking to them on the phone I felt comfortable in my purchase. I wasn’t disappointed.

I’m not HSLD so I didn’t go with the ultra cool Velocity JPC. Again, for reasons. Well advised I went with a BCS NIJ II plate carrier.

I did that because it’s a slick carrier and so can be worn under a jacket or shirt with my LVL IIIa soft armor and while they may not have the cool factor their gear is borderline indestructible.

Besides i prefer the ability to use whatever chest rig I need for whatever purpose. Be it 5.56 or .308 or for a precision rifle.

One thing I believe is important, especially if you decide to go with plates is to train with them. You should be as acclimated as possible with your kit. It’s not different than having a precision gun and never stretching its legs or having an SBR and never doing any CQ type training. You need to be accustomed to how it impacts your shooting , your maneuverability and you physically. For me I’ve worn flak vest and sweated my balls off but I was a lot younger then, so I wanted to know how it impacted me after an hard day of training on an August day in Texas. And it sucks. Sucky sucky sucks. But what you don’t want is to keep it on your closet and not wear it until you have to. And not understanding the impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Cheap
    Good

Pick one.
    True story.

Check out skdtac.com for some good deals on decent plates.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Also check out bulletproofme.com, good deals for all budgets.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast