Thread: Training centered on pistol ARs?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Training centered on pistol ARs?

Can anyone point me to proven instruction or other sources of training that centers around the pistol AR? I can see a lot of Pros to the idea, but I'm wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Granted you have a brace like the shockwave or the SB I don't really see a difference from training with an SBR. Im concidering doing that instead of an SBR because my range is across the border and so is my friends property where I also shoot.

Edit: I didn't realize you were looking for specific training for pistol ARs. For that I have no recommendations. I'd rather take professional training with a hard use rifle.
    Last edited by Jaysop; 11-15-17 at 21:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anyone offering "pistol AR" specific training is not worth your while. If you want to take AR training and come with a "pistol" AR, you will be looked at as a total noob. But go for it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like many, I built a pistol ar to vet the receivers and barrel I used for my SBR, plus I had something to shoot while waiting for the stamp.

Since I have a safe full of AR's, even though I've never seen an ATF agent surprise visit a range, I used a pistol tube versus a carbine tube. I also tired to follow the law like a good lad and not shoulder the AR pistol.

I often carried the ARpistol in the left bag of my Street Glide, I bought a LAW folding stock for this purpose. Only disadvantage I found with the pistol and the SBR carried in this manner is it (they) don't fit suppressed. I don't take the suppressor with me, because I honestly didn't see myself taking the time to put it on.

Since I was going to carry it in the bag I set out to train a little with the pistol. I quickly found that I was more of a death dealer with a Glock than I was with the AR pistol.

Upon reflection, I determined that using the sling to stabilize the weapon, à la the Singleton method of CQB/gas mask shooting would probably work just as good with the AR pistol as it did with the MP5.

I used a single point sling first, attached to the bottom QD point on the LAW folder. The muzzle wasn't as stable as the muzzle on my MP5 was when using the HK 3 point sling.

I ended up taking a two point sling and attaching the rear to the bottom QD point, and to my normal end of the rail location. Bingo, more stable. I feel the further apart your attachment points are the more stable you will be - at least I am.

If you want to give this a shot adjust the sling so your master arm is bent about 90 degrees, you want to be able to shove out and put sling pressure against your back. You also need to be able to push forward with your support hand. In my opinion the support hand provides the most stability in this usage.

I run with the sling looped over my strong shoulder and running under my support arm, the way most normally run a two-point. You can also just loop it around the neck for hasty use, but the sling needs to be configured for this, because it will have to be much shorter. Of course you will also be exerting pressure against the back of your neck.

It does work to stabilize the AR pistol in legal manner, for close to intermediate ranges. I really haven't worked it beyond 100 yards.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    There's nothing particularly magical about a pistol-configuration.

You can use the old-school, SAS sling-pull technique for stabilization. Outside of small quirks related to the platform, it's literally no different from any carbine or SBR.

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Can anyone point me to proven instruction or other sources of training that centers around the pistol AR? I can see a lot of Pros to the idea, but I'm wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze.
    There are several states where SBR ownership is prohibited, mandating a pistol-configuration for anything with a <16" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by VALG17 View Post
    Anyone offering "pistol AR" specific training is not worth your while. If you want to take AR training and come with a "pistol" AR, you will be looked at as a total noob. But go for it.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Bumping my own thread from last year before starting a thread in the General or NFA forum. Think I'm going to go ahead with a pistol AR. I notice that most people put braces on them, and some of the videos I've seen lately have them treated just like a SBR. (Firing from the shoulder, etc.) Can anyone point me in the direction of simple but definitive rules concerning configuration and legal use of the pistol AR. For example, my latest understanding is that it's legal to shoulder them because a pistol is a pistol no matter how you hold it, but its prohibited to have a VFG.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Bumping my own thread from last year before starting a thread in the General or NFA forum. Think I'm going to go ahead with a pistol AR. I notice that most people put braces on them, and some of the videos I've seen lately have them treated just like a SBR. (Firing from the shoulder, etc.) Can anyone point me in the direction of simple but definitive rules concerning configuration and legal use of the pistol AR. For example, my latest understanding is that it's legal to shoulder them because a pistol is a pistol no matter how you hold it, but its prohibited to have a VFG.
    Simple.

Put a stock on it. Nobody cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk