Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FN 15 Patrol SBR 10.5"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Bullcrap.

Even IF that were true, the Dead Air Sandman-K is $569 at SS.
    What silencer do you suggest for $600 that is a full size silencer?
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    What silencer do you suggest for $600 that is a full size silencer?
    None, because they don't serve optimally for the intended application. He's doing a SBR patrol rifle, not a DMR.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OP, I will echo some other users recommendations to get a KAC SR-15 CQB and QDS Suppressor. This is not only an easy, turn key solution, it’s also represents the pinnacle of AR-15 design and product development, and should make admin VERY happy. A KAC SR-15 literally just needs an optic added to make it complete. If you don’t like the A2 grip then add a grip of your liking. Also, if you buy direct from KAC, there LE pricing is very attractive. If you’re agency has any hesitation with your choice, you can always point to the USSS, as they issue SR-15’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Just get a BCM 11.5”...

Their port is on the lower end of the spectrum and they have a proven track record. Not to mention Grant’s pricing at G&R Tactical (especially for leo/mil) is second to none. I would suggest BCM complete A5 lower (factory assembled) and any BCM 11.5” complete upper.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 11-27-17 at 17:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DCASTLE View Post
    Things are getting exciting here. The can thing is way out. That won’t be approved for duty for years I’m sure. By then I would hope to have a nice collection. I got to shoot an SR15 Mod 2 CQB and I want one. Eventually. The 6933 was my other thought, but I kept seeing them around $1200. The huge gas port would be a turn off. No need for the rifle to beat itself up unnecessarily. Almost sounds like I just need to Form 1 my Colt and piece something together.
    Running with the form 1 option you could have them buy and form 1 the lower, then buy the upper assembled and install the lower parts and take them when you leave.

You could then set it up to you. If allowes that is.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daniel87; 11-27-17 at 22:11.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    The only acceptable silencers for this type of project are a Surefire RC, Deadair, or a KAC MAMS. None of these are priced in the $600 range.
    Respectfully, this isn’t true. LE doesn’t need full auto rated bad-a$$ cans that weigh a ton. Virtually every QD centerfire can that isn’t modular or able to be “disassembled for cleaning” is fine. The can will never see more than a few mags at a time, and that’s almost certainly only during training. Light weight, maintaining or improving accuracy, and not vibrating apart (or off, that’s why no direct thread) from being in a rack shift after shift after shift is all that’s needed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OP, while I would highly recommend the SR-15 like I did above, the FN you specced is a good rifle. A fair portion of the membership base here are moderately autistic and have a tendency worry more about inconsequential stuff like port sizing and buffer weight than actually shooting their guns. FN is a quality, reputable manufacturer and would serve you well.

As far as suppressors, Surefire makes an excellent suppressor at a fairly affordable price point. Buy with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsunsurf View Post
    Respectfully, this isn’t true. LE doesn’t need full auto rated bad-a$$ cans that weigh a ton. Virtually every QD centerfire can that isn’t modular or able to be “disassembled for cleaning” is fine. The can will never see more than a few mags at a time, and that’s almost certainly only during training. Light weight, maintaining or improving accuracy, and not vibrating apart (or off, that’s why no direct thread) from being in a rack shift after shift after shift is all that’s needed.
    This is good advice.

For LE use with 5.56 SBR definitely go with shorter and lighter. Sandman K is a great option. I've seen TREK and TREK-T work well too. just use some locktite.

Surefire and KAC are overpriced and overweight. My friends department uses the socom mini and they like them, but they have had issues with the mount, and they are heavier than the Sandman and Gemtech.

I would highly recommend trying to use some different set ups in a training scenario before buying. There is a TON of bad info online, and it seems like most advice is given by people who either don't own the products they are talking about, and have never really used compared them properly. Try using a TREK-T on a lightweight 11.5 BCM upper and then switch to a surefire can, you will notice a difference in movement. You will not notice a difference in sound or durability for LE use.
    I have found many advantages to a lighter can. I can move between targets faster, have faster target acquisition, and can open doors and use my other hand while keeping my rifle in a ready position. Adding only 6-12oz on the end really makes a difference.
    Again, for LE use, you are able to inspect/maintain your gear. you will most likely be firing only a few rounds in a bad situation, and only a few mags during training without rest. I would take lightweight and short any day over "military drop me off in nam and never come back for me durability"...

And don't get a full-size can for LE, the newer small cans are still pretty effective now.
    Last edited by backpacker; 11-28-17 at 16:23.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
    This is good advice.

For LE use with 5.56 SBR definitely go with shorter and lighter. Sandman K is a great option. I've seen TREK and TREK-T work well too. just use some locktite.

Surefire and KAC are overpriced and overweight.

I would highly recommend trying to use some different set ups in a training scenario before buying. There is a TON of bad info online, and it seems like most advice is given by people who either don't own the products they are talking about, and have never really used compared them properly. Try using a TREK-T on a lightweight 11.5 BCM upper and then switch to a surefire can, you will notice a difference in movement. You will not notice a difference in sound or durability for LE use.
    I have found many advantages to a lighter can. I can move between targets faster, have faster target acquisition, and can open doors and use my other hand while keeping my rifle in a ready position. Adding only 6-12oz on the end really makes a difference.
    Again, for LE use, you are able to inspect/maintain your gear. you will most likely be firing only a few rounds in a bad situation, and only a few mags during training without rest. I would take lightweight and short any day over "military drop me off in nam and never come back for me durability"...
    Also keep in mind that if you're ultimately able to add a can under policy, it acts as a cantilever on the balance of the rifle. The lighter the better. A lot of people who haven't done it, don't realize how it impacts movement through structures. Worse yet, a multi-hour standoff with an armed and barricaded subject. A heavy can will wear you down more quickly and should you suddenly need to respond, it could impact your performance.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Scottryan, I tried to send you a message but your inbox is full.
    Last edited by DCASTLE; 12-02-17 at 22:40.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast