Thread: Recomendations for a spotting scope?

Feedback Score

Recomendations for a spotting scope?

Anyone got any good suggestions for spotting scope under $300. I would like it to be compact if possible. I like the Burris XTS 2575. But I don't want to buy it sight unseen without any reviews. It will be used for spotting for .308 @ 300 yds. Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Jim Owen, former Marine who now runs a company devoted to training High Power competition shooters, recommends that you either get a more expensive, quality scope such as a Kowa (these will start at around $800 including scope body and eyepiece), or if you want something more affordable and basic, get the Konus 20-60x80mm, which you can get for about $200.

Jim is a great guy who literally writes books on shooting instruction, so he knows his stuff on which scopes are valuable. He gives some of the background on why the Konus is a good scope. One awesome thing about it is, the glass is so good for such a low-priced scope, that you can see .22 bullet holes at 300 yards, on a clear day. I have verified this firsthand, I shoot my AR at 300 at our local range, and this scope is great. So I think .308 would be no problem. Jim discusses the Konus, here:

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

I think Jim's advice is pretty sound: Konus for the low end, or just step up to true quality and get into a Kowa. That's what all the competition shooters are doing in our area. I wouldn't bother with the mid-priced stuff like the Leupold's and Bushnells and lower-priced Nikons. Some of them cost 2x to 3x the Konus, and yet their glass doesn't enable you to see any better, so I don't think most of them are worth it. I've tried a number of these compared with my Konus, including my Dad's $400 Leupold spotter, and the glass in the Konus is not only as good, it's better! Of course, they don't have a lifetime warranty, but in a $200 scope that's clearly well made, I'm not super worried about it.

If interested in the Konus, Google it, you'll find some great prices. I just found one for $184, at GunSource.com.

Feedback Score

Thanks!

Thanks for the info and I will be purchasing the Konus strait away! Thats what keeps me coming back this forum... All the good info that will keep me from wasting money. Thanks again maximus83!

Feedback Score
    The junior rifle program in town purchased Konus scopes for all the kids this summer. Their quality seems good and the image was excellent, at least the little amount I've played with them.

Yesterday a friend loaned me her new Kowa scope in a JC Garand match. The scope was a Kowa TS-502-20x that she'd gotten recently for about $150. I was very impressed, especially for the price. It was small, light and excellent quality image. I had no trouble seeing the 30 caliber holes at 200 yards. I expect it would also work at 300 but didn't actually try it. Was it as good as the $1000 Kowas I've used in the past? Perhaps not, but I was impressed enough to now be considering one. IMO you couldn't go wrong for the money. She told me that there was also one with a 20-40x zoom eyepiece but otherwise identical for around $225 or so.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Guys! I have found the Konus 20-60x70 Camo at B & H Photo for $140. It is not currently in stock but they do have good service. I bought the Vortex Strikefire from them and it was on my doorstep 4 days later. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...OOM_SCOPE.html

Feedback Score
    Maybe a little late for the OP but Winchester makes good scopes.
    I have a 20-60x80 that was in the $200 range. Hard case, soft case, tripod.

Feedback Score
    The Konus 20-60x looks GTG to me. Here is the ad copy for it on opticsplanet.com:

"the Konus Konuscamo 20-60x 70mm Spotting Scope 7123 is a zoom model with an innovative "camouflage" design that makes it the perfect choice for the precision rifle shooter, military and LE snipers, hunters, birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts that are looking for the most immersive and rewarding outdoor experience."

I don't know about you but I'm having a really hard time no pulling out the Visa card right now and I am being serious about that. I have been thinking about a new spotting scope and that price is hard to resist considering the features it has.
    NRA Patron Member | 1911's | AR's | GAP Crusader

Feedback Score
    I have been looking for a good one for a while myself. I went for the Vanguard Winchester 15-45x60mm. They also have a lower end model but for the price you just cannot beat this.. you get no blur on 45x at all and the TriPod it comes with is somthing you would pay 50-60 bucks for.. it is build very well.. you can pay up to $300 or $400 and not top this. I have used others at my local range and the eye releif is just crap on most of them. this on has very good eye reielf and for the price you cannot go wrong. it has a rubber overmold and will take alot of abuse.. I just cant believe the price of the thing for what you get.. and I must say it is nice to have a good spotting scope, it helps alot at the range and damn can you see the moon with this thing! lol.. Here is the link http://www.opticsplanet.net/vanguard...scope-kit.html

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsansiraq View Post
    Anyone got any good suggestions for spotting scope under $300. I would like it to be compact if possible. I like the Burris XTS 2575. But I don't want to buy it sight unseen without any reviews. It will be used for spotting for .308 @ 300 yds. Thanks in advance!
    Under what conditions will you be using a spotting scope? Some are for bench shooting, others are for the field. If you're shooting 300 yds from a bench, you could do well with a Burris Landmark. I use a Burris Compact for general range and field use.

Feedback Score

Good Spotting Scope

For a budget of $300, The Celestron Ultima 90 and Gosky 20-60x60 HD are excellent choices within the budget, offering good optical performance and durability.
    1- Gosky 20-60x80 Dual Focusing ED Spotting Scope
    Gosky’s top-of-the-line offering, this spotting scope, has been meticulously designed for those who demand performance and precision. Its 80mm big objective lens, coupled with fully multi-coated optics and BAK4 Porro Prism, heightens light transmission to deliver bright, clear and crisp images even in dim lighting conditions.
    2-Celestron c90 Spotting Scope
    The Celestron MAK 90mm Angled Spotting Scope is an excellent piece of equipment for those seeking to expand their long-range viewing experiences. Its Maksutov-Cassegrain optical design is compact and lightweight, making it an ideal choice for bird watching, target shooting and digiscoping. Its 39x magnification with a 32mm eyepiece provides bright and sharp views of distant targets, be they on land or in the night sky