Thread: CRKT Homefront - Feedback?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

CRKT Homefront - Feedback?

I picked one of these up for 59 dollars, with free shipping, through DVOR (with 10 dollar coupon).

I did a bit of research before taking the plunge, I know the upsides and downsides of using AUS 8 over a supersteel. Even at an 80 dollar price point, I worried if it was over valued. Nonetheless, at 60, I figured it was worth a try and I could leave a review after a couple months of EDC/Use.

One of the biggest issues I can see currently, is that it's limited to a right side carry with "quick" deployment. I carry a knife of my weak side to compliment my firearm on my strong side. Either way, looking at it, and visioning it, I don't think I will have an issue adjusting my deployment pull.

I have seen a lot of good reviews, even from abuse tests, user reviews, BladeHQ, and more. With the common gripe being the price point and steel used.

I trust this community though, and figured I would enjoy opening a discussion about this with our community. Guns guys are usually knife guys, who follow many more hobbies.

I purchased it, I will carry it. It's replacing a falling apart $10.00 Hoffman Richter HR-15. I have carried 3 of those same knives, and every single one has popped the pivot screw out after 6months to a year. They were very reliable, sharpened okay, and spring assisted.

This was my biggest drive to this model. Everything is retained, or mostly retained, simple, and I hear it's very ergonomic. But, if I lose another pivot screw that I can't replace I was going to flip out.

I know it's not Benchmade or a super high end knife. But, this is probably the most expensive folder I have purchased. I just didn't have a "need" to go any further than the 10-15 dollar cheapos. Just now I wanted to invest into pieces of gear. It's started with just building a better, more reliable, and "middle" end EDC.

Buuut, what's your opine on this model from CRKT, how about CRKT Overall? I imagine my 25 degree guided sharpworks plates should suffice for a good angle with this blade?
    Last edited by HeruMew; 11-20-17 at 12:01.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well,

I have been carrying this knife for a couple months now. It's been a really nice change.

I am a type of person that finds a bit of meditative calm when cleaning/assembling machines and parts.

Give me a broken lawnmower; as long as I got all the tools and don't have to jerry rig anything, I am in a spot of content.

So, with this knife, I have had an enjoyable time disassembling, cleaning, and reassmbling when bored.

Maybe the wife is watching something silly on netflix, or the snow and cold make it to much trouble to do much shooting after work. So, this gives me something to add a drop of oil to and enjoy the time handling machined metal.

It is quite light, which is a big difference from any other knife I have carried. I, sadly, was relating weight to value/quality and that was a severely foolish thing to do over the years.

It was well worth the purchase, I already know I will be changing to something within the year, but it's not super high priority on my list.

Oh, and, this is BY FAR, the sharpest knife I have ever carried. It's one I legitimately have to warn people about. I thought I had gotten some of my knives sharp, but found myself to be very wrong.

I fear the only way I will ever get this knife back to factory sharpness is busting out 45 dollars for the Ken Onion Electric Sharpworks.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I recommend getting some DMT fine and extra fine sharpening stones for sharpening. Once you learn how to sharpen that way and polish the edge, you'll probably be as happy as a pig in mud. I enjoy your knife review. I have the fortune/ lack of fortune of being very happy with one of the first knives I got into: The Spyderco Endura. I had a few knives before then and a few knives I've played with since then but everything else seems to fail in some way compared to it. Probably a rare but true case of beginner's luck.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 01-22-18 at 19:41.