Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the retro AR-10s?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Where are all the retro AR-10s?

Folks, I am a big fan of the retro AR-15. My M16A1 clone build is one of my favorite rifles, and certainly one of the lightest. To be honest, I get more of a kick out of shooting it than out of either my work rifle (A4) or my carbine.

I am also a big history buff. I especially like military history, African military history, and Cold War history. During the Guerra do Ultramar (Overseas War), Portugal fought communism all over the African continent for about fifteen years. Their paratroopers carried the AR-10.

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2263.JPG
    "I owe you my life"

I see that Armalite at one point ran a retro version of their AR-10B that was pretty close to this. It is no longer available, and per their emails to me, Armalite no longer even has old stock of integral carry-handle uppers of any kind, cut for either trigger or standard charging handle.

Nodak Spud, leading the charge in retro ARs, also has no plans to offer an integral carry-handle upper of this type, per their communications to me.

I see that every once in a while somebody pops up with interest in this kind of build. I am definitely interested, as complete rifles of this kind are very difficult to find. But so are any kind of parts.

Is anyone else interested in retro AR-10s? Does anyone have a source on parts?

IMG_2266.JPG

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The best person to contact about the old AR-10s is John Thomas of Retro Arms Works.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Problem is lack of parts kits, I don't believe there was much, if any, parts commonality between the AR-10 and AR-15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Tagged to follow

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Problem is lack of parts kits, I don't believe there was much, if any, parts commonality between the AR-10 and AR-15.
    This is true.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

I recently saw one of the old AR10Bs on GunBroker for a great price that didn't sell.
    I found mine, by chance, at a gun show in North Carolina, in ban era configuration. I since brought it closer to A1 style specs, with an A1 length stock, original ArmaLite grip, and fixing of the front situation.
    It's a lovely rifle to shoot and handle.
    I'd like to get one of the new Brownells stocks in brown (RIT dye to match) for it, but I'd prefer a type E with trapdoor instead of their type D.
    Mine is a 50th anniversary edition, 1 of 250 made.
    Last edited by masakari; 12-02-17 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    That's not true. ArmaLite AR10s use many standard AR15 parts. The original AR10s, however, were completely different. Those are very, very scarce.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Masakari, that's a sweet rifle. It's marked as an AR-10B. Does that mean it uses the modified M14 mags?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Masakari, that's a sweet rifle. It's marked as an AR-10B. Does that mean it uses the modified M14 mags?
    Yes. The Gen II purpose built magazines are much better, however.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've always wanted one of those AI uppers on the domestic lowers that hit the states back in the 80's. Too pricey for me now. Weaponsman.com (Kevin O'Brien) had one, and when he passed away it was in his estate sale. $10,000 was the asking price, IIRC. I settled for some NODAK retro receivers (upper and lower) that I will build up in tribute to him.

Masakari, nice rifle! I may have to look out for one of those.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast