Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Narcan (Naloxone) Training

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://www.cato.org/blog/cdc-resear...ccurately-high

Based on other things(with alcohol seeming to be the exception), removing the ban reduces the interest.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 10-07-18 at 07:33.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    https://www.cato.org/blog/cdc-resear...ccurately-high

Based on other things(with alcohol seeming to be the exception), removing the ban reduces the interest.
    Interesting article. A couple of thoughts:

It focuses on illicit fentanyl, but it does touch on mixed drug OD’s. Most OD’s are not from just fentanyl or carfentanyl. Usually those agents are used to increase potency and profitability of heroin.

Re: reduced manufacturing of pharmaceutical opioids: in my area, we’ve been struggling with ongoing fentanyl shortages. This forces us to use morphine or ketamine when we run out of fentanyl, which has been happening every few weeks. Morphine comes with more side effects, so patients tend to get smaller doses, and we usually run out of morphine a few days after we run out of fentanyl. Ketamine is not always the best choice for single agent pain control, but sometimes its all we have. I much prefer to give my patients an opiod prior to ketamine. In short, I don’t think a mandatory cutback on manufacture is a good idea.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I would prefer that all law enforcement agencies followed the lead set by the Butler County (OH) Sheriff.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    I would prefer that all law enforcement agencies followed the lead set by the Butler County (OH) Sheriff.
    What did I miss? How would we have any idea what the Butler County (OH) Sheriff is doing?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    What did I miss? How would we have any idea what the Butler County (OH) Sheriff is doing?
    I guess you could google his agency and the topic of this thread.

But I'll give you the summary: he refuses to equip his deputies with the drug for several reasons.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

But I'll give you the summary: he refuses to equip his deputies with the drug for several reasons.
    I guess you could have provided a link or a summary.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Do go on....
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Do go on....
    What else is there to say? He opposes the use of that treatment on street scum for several reasons: officer safety, budgetary, and plain old principle.

I'm OK with that.

I'm even OK with the local city councilman who questioned why are city paramedics dispatched to street junkies OD'ing on opiates.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    What else is there to say? He opposes the use of that treatment on street scum for several reasons: officer safety, budgetary, and plain old principle.

I'm OK with that.

I'm even OK with the local city councilman who questioned why are city paramedics dispatched to street junkies OD'ing on opiates.
    For the Sherrif, I get it. His people’s primary role isn’t medical. For EMS, the councilman is way off base. If we stop treating people just because “they did it to themselves”, we would stop responding to heart attacks and strokes in fat people and smokers, diabetic emergencies, respiratory distress in COPDers, pulmonary edema in CHF’ers, suicide attempts, motor vehicle accidents, etc. there’s this new thing called “medical ethics”, and all sick people get treated equally while on the clock. Its a slippery slope.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    plain old principle.
    I’m glad you aren’t a First Responder. Your community is better off for it.

You are grossly out of touch with the reality of opioid use in this country as well as what the role of a First Responder is. We help who we are called to help because it’s the right thing to do.

And for what it’s worth, I run significantly more ODs in the affluent areas of town than I do where your so-called “street scum” live. I’ve scooped more soccer moms out of parked cars after an OD than any other scenario.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast