Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Narcan (Naloxone) Training

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mass naloxone fielding is the new thing, great panacea for the opioid epidemic, and everyone is doing it. 4mg nasal spray is most popular. Helpful if needed, a diagnostic if not. Big talking point for LE buy-in has been accidental exposures to rescuers. BVMs are great, but getting cops and lay rescuers to bag properly can be a neat trick esp if the patient is of less interest to the rescuer. An average of current SOPs: suspect opiate OD, safety first, give first dose, no effect give second, stand by for BLS tasks and EMS. Most LE won't have airway adjuncts or more than two doses. Patients can refuse if AO for EMS, or go to jail for applicable charges with LE after medical clearance. Addicts with scripts use them more than we know/track, and never report their OD incident. If an emergency call is generated, expect an increasing amount of folks to have their own like nitro and epi pens. There is room for discussion of good sam uses and public-access, but safety issues abound and it isn't an IFAK item in my view.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I would prefer that all law enforcement agencies followed the lead set by the Butler County (OH) Sheriff.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    I would prefer that all law enforcement agencies followed the lead set by the Butler County (OH) Sheriff.
    What did I miss? How would we have any idea what the Butler County (OH) Sheriff is doing?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    What did I miss? How would we have any idea what the Butler County (OH) Sheriff is doing?
    I guess you could google his agency and the topic of this thread.

But I'll give you the summary: he refuses to equip his deputies with the drug for several reasons.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The only good reason I can think of to carry narcan would be fentanyl exposure (to a responder)

Funny thing, a few needle dispensers are giving dopers narcan so their battle buddy can bring them back from the light. Convenient.
    Last edited by J-Dub; 10-30-18 at 07:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    The only good reason I can think of to carry narcan would be fentanyl exposure (to a responder)

Funny thing, a few needle dispensers are giving dopers narcan so their battle buddy can bring them back from the light. Convenient.
    You can take advantage of this, in preparing your own first aid kit. Go get a free Narcan kit and keep it in your personal kit, in the event you need it off duty. My state has a standing order with the pharmacies to sell naloxone OTC without a prescription, but I learned that my insurance won't cover it unless it's prescribed to me. So I would be able to get it OTC, but I'd have to pay the full price, which where I live is about $140. I chose to use my state's opioid overdose program instead, and they were happy to issue me a kit with two 4mg Narcan nasal injectors, for free. You may be able to do similar, depending on where you live.

Mass free Naloxone
    Last edited by p..; 11-29-19 at 16:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p.. View Post
    You can take advantage of this, in preparing your own first aid kit. Go get a free Narcan kit and keep it in your personal kit, in the event you need it off duty. My state has a standing order with the pharmacies to sell naloxone OTC without a prescription, but I learned that my insurance won't cover it unless it's prescribed to me. So I would be able to get it OTC, but I'd have to pay the full price, which where I live is about $140. I chose to use my state's opioid overdose program instead, and they were happy to issue me a kit with two 4mg Narcan nasal injectors, for free. You may be able to do similar, depending on where you live.

Mass free Naloxone
    I can appreciate the idea of family or other bystanders being able to reverse an OD.

However, those using it should not only be aware of the possibility of vomit but be prepared to keep the airway clear if/when it does happen. I've administered Narcan nasally, IV and even IO and while the nasal route is "gentler" in my experience, vomiting still occurs. If you let the victim vacuum up a stomach's worth of contents into the lungs, you've made things worse, not better.

Violent wake-ups do happen and you may find yourself taking a fist to the face as a form of thanks. Be careful.

The newer synthetics require far more than the usual dose and understand that even if they start waking up, your not going to shake hands and they go on their merry way. You still need to contact EMS.

If you do find yourself in a situation where someone is ODing, what messed them up could mess you up. Fentanyl powder is something we've run into in my area and you could OD just as quick as the victim simply getting it on your skin. Be mindful of your surroundings if you get involved.

Narcan isn't simply life saving water, either. It has been known to precipitate seizures in even small amounts in someone without opiates in their system. Again, have EMS on the way.

Sorry for the diatribe but while it can be a good thing, knowledge and training are keys if the general public is going to have access to it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I dont think it will promote drug abuse, because ( as I understand it) when an addict OD's, and then gets Narcane the addict goes into severe withdrawal. Because it nullifies all drug in the system. I had a friend that did it and he said it was the worst experience of his life. Not something that drug addicts want IMHO.

I know opinions may vary, just my .02.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    In my area, I’m a bigger fan of cops, first responders, and firefighters that know how to properly use a BVM. Not that I’m knocking naloxone, I just see a lot of people not able to do basic stuff. I have seen Narcan administered inappropriately a few times FWIW.

The nasal (MAD) setup is the way I would reccomend.

Eff treating junkies off duty.
    How do you inappropriately administer narcan? It's completely harmless. We use a good amount of it at my department, and on occasion more than once on the same person during the same shift.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I will be honest,

After a two day Hiatus, I did not expect to return to this thread being at 3 pages. It had such a slow start.

I want to thank everyone for contributing and offering input. I can certainly see the validity in the arguments and narratives supplied.

Nonetheless, I do want to make sure to, also, express gratitude to those within this thread whom deal with this daily. Sounds like we have some Medical Professionals, EMT/EMS, and LEO backgrounds. Thanks for all you guys do. Especially when dealing with these types of issues to this extent.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast