Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Narcan (Naloxone) Training

Feedback Score
    So, waking them up to sign the refusal of transport is not the goal?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    There's a big difference between a heroin nod and a full on OD. The problem is that Narcan isn't that effective against the synthetics that are going around, and in many cases it takes multiple doses. The other thing to really consider is that often people become violent when snapped out of their OD.

If the job is to respond to an overdose and render aid/treatment, then that's the job. I don't think I'd burn up a personal stash, if I even had one, if other options were available.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMKeith View Post
    So, waking them up to sign the refusal of transport is not the goal?
    Back in the day they were skills labs...a certain, successful intubation, IV, narcan, extubate when we got to the ED. I'd say half the time they'd be alert enough to sign off...they'd leave as soon as we opened the door.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    There's a big difference between a heroin nod and a full on OD. The problem is that Narcan isn't that effective against the synthetics that are going around, and in many cases it takes multiple doses.
    Most of these people will be on a narcan drip in the hospital. IV boluses for reversal are notoriously unreliable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mass naloxone fielding is the new thing, great panacea for the opioid epidemic, and everyone is doing it. 4mg nasal spray is most popular. Helpful if needed, a diagnostic if not. Big talking point for LE buy-in has been accidental exposures to rescuers. BVMs are great, but getting cops and lay rescuers to bag properly can be a neat trick esp if the patient is of less interest to the rescuer. An average of current SOPs: suspect opiate OD, safety first, give first dose, no effect give second, stand by for BLS tasks and EMS. Most LE won't have airway adjuncts or more than two doses. Patients can refuse if AO for EMS, or go to jail for applicable charges with LE after medical clearance. Addicts with scripts use them more than we know/track, and never report their OD incident. If an emergency call is generated, expect an increasing amount of folks to have their own like nitro and epi pens. There is room for discussion of good sam uses and public-access, but safety issues abound and it isn't an IFAK item in my view.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    That is a great way to look at it. I make the newer guys start large bore lines on OD patients. They could be hypotensive and we might need to give fluid so it is justified. Plus, they are getting experience that will pay off when we have a bad trauma call and we have someone bleeding out everywhere. I always try to look for ways to help others gain experience.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just wanted to confirm what someone else brought up. Don't be surprised if narcan doesn't work like it used to. We have been giving up to five doses for some guys riding the grey death express. BVM is going to be your friend until you get to the ER where narcan is in larger supply.

Feedback Score
    Leave Narcan to the paramedics to dispense when they're on the clock. The cops and firefighters are dong enough social work without any more mission creep into pharmacology, besides I've never seen a junkie who was appreciative of being robbed of their high even if it was killing them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post

Does this type of thing propagate the abuse and usage of Narcotics, specifically, Opioids?
    In most cases, no, not really. Most people who are abusing opiods are simply trying to chase the next high. As their tolerance increases, they need more and more until they OD and die. So, I supposed you're propagating their abuse, but that will simply last until the next time they OD and no one is around.

In rare cases, there are groups of (usually young) peoplle who have "Narcan parties" where they will intentionally OD and have people with Narcan on standby to bring them back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slateman View Post
    In most cases, no, not really. Most people who are abusing opiods are simply trying to chase the next high. As their tolerance increases, they need more and more until they OD and die. So, I supposed you're propagating their abuse, but that will simply last until the next time they OD and no one is around.

In rare cases, there are groups of (usually young) peoplle who have "Narcan parties" where they will intentionally OD and have people with Narcan on standby to bring them back.
    Not to sound mean but letting the dopers go would save lot of taxpayers money in the short and long term.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast