Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Narcan (Naloxone) Training

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Biggest thing I can pass along from someone who works EMS, to those who don’t and have Narcan. DONT ****ING USE IT UNLESS THEY ARENT BREATHING OR MAINTAINING THEIR OWN AIRWAY! And then only give enough Narcan to restore their respiratory drive. You wake them up completely and MOST of the time it’s Game On when it’s now EMS’s problem.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    For the Sherrif, I get it. His people’s primary role isn’t medical. For EMS, the councilman is way off base. If we stop treating people just because “they did it to themselves”, we would stop responding to heart attacks and strokes in fat people and smokers, diabetic emergencies, respiratory distress in COPDers, pulmonary edema in CHF’ers, suicide attempts, motor vehicle accidents, etc. there’s this new thing called “medical ethics”, and all sick people get treated equally while on the clock. Its a slippery slope.
    The line between people who OD from opiates and everyone else you listed is pretty clear cut.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    For the Sherrif, I get it. His people’s primary role isn’t medical. For EMS, the councilman is way off base. If we stop treating people just because “they did it to themselves”, we would stop responding to heart attacks and strokes in fat people and smokers, diabetic emergencies, respiratory distress in COPDers, pulmonary edema in CHF’ers, suicide attempts, motor vehicle accidents, etc. there’s this new thing called “medical ethics”, and all sick people get treated equally while on the clock. Its a slippery slope.

You nailed it.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    The line between people who OD from opiates and everyone else you listed is pretty clear cut.
    No, that’s just your bias against drug users combined with your ignorance of chronically ill patients who are noncompliant with managing their conditions.

Example: call for difficulty breathing, arrive on scene to find a patient with a history of COPD sitting on the front porch chain smoking.

That type of patient is FAR more common than the “street scum” passed out on the toilet of a McDonald’s bathroom strung out on some cheap brown tar they scored a block over.

I’ve also run a handful of legitimate accidental ODs that could be attributed to polypharmacy or changes in pharmacokinetics due to aging and underlying diseases. Not just opioids, but antipsychotics, thyroid hormones, insulin, etc.

Shit happens, people need help. I’m not there to judge anyone, but I am here to help everyone.
    Last edited by GTF425; 10-18-18 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Its just a difference in speed compared to a fat body smoker as to when the penalties for one's bad behavior come to be realized.

One isn't better than the other, or more or less deserving of care.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Not really. Narcan is cheap. Glucagon is expensive. Should I withold it from the diabetic that took their insulin inappropriately (OD’d) and is now unresponsive?

And GTF425 is spot on. I run a lot of wealthy opioid overdoses; in nice houses and nice cars, with well dressed children. Its my job to give them a chance to un$&@% themselves.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Sounds like something a moron would say so hopefully that’s not what you intended.

You might be surprised to know that mental illness is incredibly prevalent in our society and doesn’t really discriminate based on socioeconomic status, cultural demographics, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Sounds like something a moron would say so hopefully that’s not what you intended.
    Exactly what I intended to say. Who are you to call me a moron? The morons are the people dying from this shit and the people who tolerate them, help them, and enable them.

We don't want that trash in society, stop tossing it back on the street and let Darwin take its course.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    The morons are the people dying from this shit and the people who tolerate them, help them, and enable them.
    Says the guy sitting behind a computer with no skin in the game.

We get it- you have no idea who and/or what you’re talking about and think everyone who uses The Drugs is the stereotypical junkie you’ve painted in your mind.

From what I can gather of your character, I’d take the overwhelming majority of my patients over your judgmental ass.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Exactly what I intended to say. Who are you to call me a moron? The morons are the people dying from this shit and the people who tolerate them, help them, and enable them.

We don't want that trash in society, stop tossing it back on the street and let Darwin take its course.
    You might be in the wrong thread, dude.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast