Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rank these factory rifles.

Feedback Score

Rank these factory rifles.

How would you rank these factory rifle options from best to worst in terms or quality, reliability, and accuracy?

Ruger AR-556 MPR (model 8542)
    S&W M&P 15-T II (model 13492)
    American Defense ADM4
    Battle Arms Development Workhorse
    Stag 15 Tactical

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    No is too short of a reply for the forum to accept.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    How would you rank these factory rifle options from best to worst in terms or quality, reliability, and accuracy?

Ruger AR-556 MPR (model 8542)
    S&W M&P 15-T II (model 13492)
    American Defense ADM4
    Battle Arms Development Workhorse
    Stag 15 Tactical
    Many of those don’t have enough samples to show a track record. If I were to pick one, I know Battle Arms has strong drive to make a good product. I also know that the current Stag parts I’ve used under the new ownership have been well done. ADM makes a nice mount, but you don’t hear much about their rifles. SW makes a good gun, or did especially at the price point, but what you picked is a model which is just being released. Ruger is a big unknown to me, there just hasn’t been much feedback on them.

BCM has put out loads of weapons selected by cops, trainers, and SWAT teams. Centurion Arms is another phenomenal Mfg. Both of those I have carried into harms way, both have attended numerous training classes with me. Both have been used by me to teach classes. Colt is another one which is very good, but I hold BCM and CA to higher standards. I have plenty of others that I use and personally own, but those are an easy two or three.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Can I re-post "THE CHART" here?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    I agree with Stick and others that the list is fairly vast for one individual as I can tell you that the average M4Carbine poster probably has a Colt or BCM rifle, and has been dabbling with more established AR brands known for reliability. Not that Ruger or S&W are not established brands, but the AR world is awash with every other firearm manufacture making AR's, hell even Taurus looked into bringing something to the US market. I hear good things about Stag now and I put a lefty version of a carbine upper on my father in laws DPMS, which might see all of 100rds a year, so while it looks good on paper, I do not have a baseline on long term.

I do own an ADM lower and a ADM UIC-10A, in 7.62nato or 308, which is a phenomenal rifle, I can only really compare this to my S&W M&P10, which while for the money is a very good AR10. The M&P10 has over 1k rounds through it (all I could afford at the time) it isn't nearly as consistent in accuracy, or as smooth shooting as my ADM, with only maybe 300rds. The ADM however has a good pound of weight on my M&P10, which is quite noticeable after a few days of deer hunting, but I would still choose the ADM for a more defensive role 9/10 times. The S&W cost me $900 at a Cabelas, during a black friday special, while the ADM was around $2600, so I would say that it is really comes down to what you want out of a rifle.

Overall, I think it shouldn't be ranked in order of best-worst, it should be ranked in what works best for you in your application.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Many of those don’t have enough samples to show a track record. If I were to pick one, I know Battle Arms has strong drive to make a good product. I also know that the current Stag parts I’ve used under the new ownership have been well done. ADM makes a nice mount, but you don’t hear much about their rifles. SW makes a good gun, or did especially at the price point, but what you picked is a model which is just being released. Ruger is a big unknown to me, there just hasn’t been much feedback on them.

BCM has put out loads of weapons selected by cops, trainers, and SWAT teams. Centurion Arms is another phenomenal Mfg. Both of those I have carried into harms way, both have attended numerous training classes with me. Both have been used by me to teach classes. Colt is another one which is very good, but I hold BCM and CA to higher standards. I have plenty of others that I use and personally own, but those are an easy two or three.
    I am a roll your own kind of guy but took a flyer on a Battle Arms Workhorse when a local shop got one in at a decent price mid pandemic. They use Rosco barrels and BCGs which gave me some measure of confidence as I have used their stuff in the past with good results, and still do. I put a trigger and ambi safety on it but that's it. So far I have about 1000 rounds through it and its a nice shooter. Accuracy is decent. It's essentially got a Rosco Sauce Pack in it and with the right glass and loads I think its probably an MOA gun based on results I'm seeing on the interwebs from people who aren't full of shit. We will see how it holds up long term but it's put together well from what I can tell.

My next off the shelf rifle is definitely going to be a Centurion. I used some of their stuff on a recent pistol build and like it a lot. I really like the approach they have taken with their barrel profiles as well. Makes a lot of sense.

Feedback Score

Rank these factory rifles.

I guess maybe I wasn’t clear. I didn’t mean rank them against every other rifle on the market. I just meant rank them against themselves.
    Last edited by Olympus; 08-12-21 at 09:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    I guess maybe I wasn’t clear. I didn’t mean rank them against every other rifle on the market. I just meant rank them against themselves.
    I think people here are having difficulty doing that because, for the most part, these aren't rifles that "people who know" would choose, given the better choices available. Any of those companies might make a rifle that would serve you well, but none of them would be a rifle I would personally choose.

You've also got a bit of an apples to oranges thing going on. Stag, S&W, and Ruger are your shelf grade ones, and of those I would say that Stag is likely best followed by (probably) the S&W. Then you have ADM and BAD, which are more Gucci billet receiver guns. Of those two I would guess BAD over ADM, but who knows without more testing?

As far as rifles that I would consider purchasing, I would look at Colt on the lowest end, then BCM, SOLGW, Centurion, or LMT, and maybe KAC. On the more Gucci end of the scale, that are also top shelf functionally, I would look at DD or more likely Geissele.
    Last edited by georgeib; 08-12-21 at 11:13. Reason: Grammar

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    I am a roll your own kind of guy but took a flyer on a Battle Arms Workhorse when a local shop got one in at a decent price mid pandemic. They use Rosco barrels and BCGs which gave me some measure of confidence as I have used their stuff in the past with good results, and still do.
    So does ADM for the barrels. They use Rosco or Criterion barrels depending on version, they actually list both manufactures barrels for sale on their site as well. If you look at the Rosco complete uppers and ADM uppers they even use the same rail (made by Midwest Ind. I believe). I'm not 100% on the BCG, and where that comes from although ADM does work a lot with Radian as I think they go through the same distributor for their lowers.

Most of this information I have gleaned from training courses with in Wisconsin and instructors and LEO's who have worked with and personally dealt with certain brands, so I am not a person with complete first hand knowledge. I would think people within the industry like Stick would have a better handle on certain things.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I think people here are difficulty doing that because, for the most part, they aren't rifles that people who know would choose given the better choices available. Any of those companies might make a rifle that would serve you well, but none of them would be a rifle I would choose.

You've also got a bit of an apples to oranges thing going on. Stag, S&W, and Ruger are your shelf grade ones, and of those I would say that Stag is likely best followed by (probably) the S&W. Then you have ADM and BAD, which are more gucci billet receiver guns. Of those two I would guess BAD over ADM, but who knows without more testing?

As far as rifles that I would consider purchasing, I would look at Colt on the lowest end, then BCM, SOLGW, Centurion, or LMT, and maybe KAC. On the more Gucci end of the scale that is also very solid functionally, I would look at DD or more likely Geissele.
    Point of clarification (because I obviously do not have enough to do at work today) The BAD Workhorse does not use their billet receivers. Run of the mill forged stuff. It's their non gucci line

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast